Thread: Paint in Engine Bay

Users Country Flag

Paint in Engine Bay

Has any one else noticed that engine bay and underside of bonnet has only got primer or undercoat on it.

Cheaping out a bit isnt it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Has any one else noticed that engine bay and underside of bonnet has only got primer or undercoat on it.

Cheaping out a bit isnt it
    You are correct, I've never taken much notice my tiguan is black so the grey doesn't stand out as much.
    MY18 Tiguan R Line Black-162 Highline TSI
    Drivers Assistance Package - Sunroof - Tow Bar
    Ordered July 17 Arrived December 17 Delivery Jan 18

Car manufacturers having been doing that for at least 30 years that I know of. The first time I saw it was at least that long ago and most probably longer. Primer is porous so it must be a better primer than what goes under paint normally.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Car manufacturers having been doing that for at least 30 years that I know of. The first time I saw it was at least that long ago and most probably longer. Primer is porous so it must be a better primer than what goes under paint normally.
    Reason I mentioned it is because my Polo and the Passat appear to be fully painted and not obviously lacking in that. In my Tig you can virtually "see through" the coating it has . Looks like a one coat spray can job and is a flat rough finish whereas both other cars have a gloss finish

Users Country Flag
    Blame dieselgate and the billions VW needed to save to pay for their fines.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    My Mazda 3 is the same inside all the door jambs too. Very noticeable as it has the deep gloss cherry red exterior (and those bits don’t).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Our '10 Multivan T5GP has the thinnest coat of paint and the underside of the bonnet is primer only with overspray from the top Clearly cost saving.

At this stage of it's life the clear coat on the bumper is peeling and there are so many nicks, scratches and marks around the outside (parking a giant van in and around schools doesn't end well sadly) it could really do with a full respray, but it's just not worth it.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Cant fault paint on rest of car as I got hit by a bloody big stone on l/h roof near the front and figured I would have a dent it was so loud.

Havent managed to find any mark even anywhere so it must have been round and bounced.

Have tiny chip in silver strip under headlight though Obviously from a stone