Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 132tsi Tiguan Mods.

Users Country Flag

2019 132tsi Tiguan Mods.

G'day all, new to the forum but wanted to share what I've done to my Tiguan R-Line, and what's currently being added modification wise.
    As stated it's the 132tsi petrol, which had a custom Underground performance stage 1 ECU & TCU tune, taking it from 115KW and 280NM at the wheels to 144KW and 360NM. From there it's also been lowered using Golf R springs, which gives it a nice stance.
    I was pretty happy with the tune outcome, but as is the case, soon wanted more. So now it's back at Underground have a modified HPA IS38 installed (from the factory IS20), along with a catted downpipe, Moshimoto intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, and re-tune to suit.
    Hopefully I'll get it back early next week and can report on advantages/disadvantages, and bang for buck results.
    If anyone has already been down a similar path, hit me up with and let me know your thoughts.

Keen to see the results on this. Are you sure the stock turbo is an IS20? I'd heard different stories. Be nice to confirm 100% once you have it back. I'm pretty sure it's a smaller turbo and hence why your stage 1 only got to 144kwaw.

I am not aware of any other 132TSI owner that has gone more than stage 1 at this point. I'm really interested to hear results of the IS38 swap as they use the same engine in the T-Roc and that's on my shopping list for potential next cars but really depending on tuneability.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hey Tigger73,
    Yep factory is IS20 turbo on the GenB 2.0 motors. 144KW is a bit better than they normally get on these engines from a stage 1 tune. When I booked it in, they said it'll usually bring Kwaw up to crank KW, so around the 132 mark, effectively taking away drivetrain loss.
    At the end of the day I'm not overly concerned with dyno numbers (too many variables can effect the outcome), but more-so how it drives. After the tune it definately drove better, and the TCU tune made a huge difference.
    I'll keep you posted with how it all comes back, and what it's like to drive.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by OzTurtle View Post
    G'day all, new to the forum but wanted to share what I've done to my Tiguan R-Line, and what's currently being added modification wise.
    As stated it's the 132tsi petrol, which had a custom Underground performance stage 1 ECU & TCU tune, taking it from 115KW and 280NM at the wheels to 144KW and 360NM. From there it's also been lowered using Golf R springs, which gives it a nice stance.
    I was pretty happy with the tune outcome, but as is the case, soon wanted more. So now it's back at Underground have a modified HPA IS38 installed (from the factory IS20), along with a catted downpipe, Moshimoto intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, and re-tune to suit.
    Hopefully I'll get it back early next week and can report on advantages/disadvantages, and bang for buck results.
    If anyone has already been down a similar path, hit me up with and let me know your thoughts.
    Curios to know why you didn't go with a 162TSI over the 132TSI?

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Hey Gladbach,
    Initially cost, the price point difference taking into account I got the 132 R-Line at the EOFY sale against a 162 then add R package, from memory was around the $15k mark. When I bought it I was coming from a 2016 Holden VF2 Redline that I poured WAY too much money into, and was so impractical for daily driving that my mindset at the time was "no more modifying cars". Obviously that didn't work out, and I fully raise my hand up as saying "I should have got the 162". But now I'm working with what I have, and cross fingers will end up with something A - different .... and B - cheaper, even taking into account cost of mods.

Hey Gladbach,
    Initially cost, the price point difference taking into account I got the 132 R-Line at the EOFY sale against a 162 then add R package, from memory was around the $15k mark. When I bought it I was coming from a 2016 Holden VF2 Redline that I poured WAY too much money into, and was so impractical for daily driving that my mindset at the time was "no more modifying cars". Obviously that didn't work out, and I fully raise my hand up as saying "I should have got the 162". But now I'm working with what I have, and cross fingers will end up with something A - different .... and B - cheaper, even taking into account cost of mods.
    I 100% understand where you're coming from. I initially couldn't justify the 162TSI but when the Sportline model came out (limited edition 2017/18 ) it had all the options without the R-line price tag so saved ~$10k in options/body kit/leather interior that really didn't add to performance.

In gen1 Tig world you could get the base model 2.0TSI and tune it to the same point as the top of the line model. Which was fantastic value/bang for buck. I'm really interested how you go with running the IS38 on the EA8883B motor as it's certainly a more cost-effective option than getting a 162 R-line and tipping more $ into it.

Hey Tigger73,
    Just for the experiment of it all will be interesting to see the results, but importantly driving difference. I'm very new to the whole VW engine line-ups, especially different engine codes for theoretically the same engine, apparently my 132tsi is similar to what comes out in the Polo GTI, and I've seen those tuned up to insane amounts, especially in a lighter car.
    I'm thinking of adding a oil catch can whilst Underground have it, then will have to look at brakes as even at factory power levels, they suck! But that could be because I'm coming from the heavy bogan commodore with it's Brembo 4 piston units. After that maybe rear bumper from a 162, hide the little exhaust on mine and just has a mucher nicer look.

Yes Polo GTI, T-Roc and Tiguan 132TSI are all very similar (same CZP engine code) with slightly different tunes I think.

I have an oil catch can and given the amount of gunk it's caught I'd definitely recommend it as it'll reduce the carbon build-up on the intake valves by not feeding all that crap back into the intake.

For best bang for buck brake upgrades, I'd suggest looking at the Macan 4 pot Brembos. There's quite a few write-ups on these - do a google search but here's a good start: Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Kits are available for sale here: Porsche Macan Brembo 4pot Calipers MQB P&P Upgrade NEW

Not that this is the only place that sells the calipers but at least it gives you an idea on the $.

You can also consider installing a Mk7 R exhaust. You will have to do some trimming on the 132TSI R-line bumper to make it work, however having real tips is a lot better than the "fake" outlets on the 162 Highline bumpers.

2019 132tsi Tiguan Mods.-img_e1292-jpg

I'd talk to the guys at UGP when you're there and see if they have any Mk7 R exhausts laying around. They'll likely have a few from customer cars that they take off and customer doesn't want (or has no way to transport) the stock system.
    Last edited by tigger73; 25-10-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Gladbach,
    Yeah, fair enough. $15k is a lot to consider. I guess I can related to that, I'm currently looking to buy a ~2018 model Golf for our second car and am tossing up between a GTI and an R with the cost difference being less than that.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Hey Tigger73,
    I'm thinking more along the line of the rear bumper from the 162 Highline (I'm having issues uploading a reference pic). It has the silver, elongated vents in each lower corner, ie no exhaust tips showing. It looks neater in my opinion, but I'll have a look into the brakes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast