Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil temperature at normal operating level

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    I don’t think that the rock flying of from the front wheels can ever hit the engine sump.
    The sump and transmission are ahead of the centre of the front axles so yes it could as the factory tray leaves the whole engine exposed as it barely covers the pipework in front of the motor. So the tyres could spit a rock up behind that piddly little tray.

Also a member posted on here a while ago that a a rock ripped a connector off which is in FRONT of the engine so must be exposed for that to happen.
    Nearly struck my oil plastic sump - keep in mind when off-roading

You must have forgotten as you replied to it

Is the reason why I bought the bigger one.

Here is a pic of the undertray from Factory and the new one which goes right back to the crossmember
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oil temperature at normal operating level-20190911_193036[1]-jpg   Oil temperature at normal operating level-20190911_115125[1]-jpg  

Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The sump and transmission are ahead of the centre of the front axles so yes it could as the factory tray leaves the whole engine exposed as it barely covers the pipework in front of the motor. So the tyres could spit a rock up behind that piddly little tray.

Also a member posted on here a while ago that a a rock ripped a connector off which is in FRONT of the engine so must be exposed for that to happen.
    Nearly struck my oil plastic sump - keep in mind when off-roading

You must have forgotten as you replied to it

Is the reason why I bought the bigger one.

Here is a pic of the undertray from Factory and the new one which goes right back to the crossmember
    The tyre didn’t flick the rock, he drove over the rock, I saw the post and yes I replied there.
    The axles aren’t in the centre since there is a diff and the driveshafts connect into the diff. To have the driveshafts in the centre of the engine the Tiguan would look like a monster truck.

Don’t get me wrong I’m for the full engine protective undertray, it keeps the engine area cleaner, it also helps with interior noise.

The tyre didn’t flick the rock, he drove over the rock, I saw the post and yes I replied there.
    The axles aren’t in the centre since there is a diff and the driveshafts connect into the diff. To have the driveshafts in the centre of the engine the Tiguan would look like a monster truck.

Don’t get me wrong I’m for the full engine protective undertray, it keeps the engine area cleaner, it also helps with interior noise.
    We are talking at cross purposes here I was meaning the centre line of the axles by looking at the wheel hubs from the outside and yes I know that but as I said because the tray is so short a rock could get fired up from under a tyre
    and hit the sump or other stuff I understand all that about the axles as was under it putting the tray on.
    Now all is covered and safe

Users Country Flag
    We are talking at cross purposes here I was meaning the centre line of the axles by looking at the wheel hubs from the outside and yes I know that but as I said because the tray is so short a rock could get fired up from under a tyre
    and hit the sump or other stuff
    I understand all that about the axles as was under it putting the tray on.
    Now all is covered and safe
    If that was the case anything that rock could hit would be constantly getting sprayed by water and mud from the tyres when you drive in the rain, don’t you think? You’d see the dirt sticking to the components it hits and I can’t see any sign of it on any car I worked on.

Besides, chance of the rock flying and hitting the sump at least in theory. The wheels would have to be in full lock at high speed for any object that can damage the sump has to be flying on a weird angle. For that to happen you’d have to be bogged in the gravel than the tyre would have to pick up a large rock to do any damage to the sump. I think you have a better chance to win Lottery.

The manufacturers don’t put the same under body protection as on their hard core 4x4 it’s for a reason and that’s to discourage people to take their AWD car too far from the bitumen.

People can always fit underbody shields if they want, but yeah with out them if you drive over the rocks you will hit something under the floor eventually, and even normal roads if you drive over the debris you can damage your car.
    Last edited by Transporter; 26-11-2019 at 07:19 AM.

If that was the case anything that rock could hit would be constantly getting sprayed by water and mud from the tyres when you drive in the rain, don’t you think? You’d see the dirt sticking to the components it hits and I can’t see any sign of it on any car I worked on.

Besides, chance of the rock flying and hitting the sump at least in theory. The wheels would have to be in full lock at high speed for any object that can damage the sump has to be flying on a weird angle. For that to happen you’d have to be bogged in the gravel than the tyre would have to pick up a large rock to do any damage to the sump. I think you have a better chance to win Lottery.

The manufacturers don’t put the same under body protection as on their hard core 4x4 it’s for a reason and that’s to discourage people to take their AWD car too far from the bitumen.

People can always fit underbody shields if they want, but yeah with out them if you drive over the rocks you will hit something under the floor eventually, and even normal roads if you drive over the debris you can damage your car.
    Have you never seen a rock twist out from under a tyre and fly a fair distance. I have and it didnt stop when it hit a window either. Just got caught by the outside edge and spat out like a rocket
    Anyway we are far off my original topic here You have your theory I have a practical experience so we should leave it at that and it seems the oil is not overheating so all is good .

Oil at right temp and still in the sump and more likely to stay there ROFL

Okay went to town on Friday 100km each way temp was in low 30's in morning Oil temp was a constant 108/ 109.

Later in day temp was 41.1 C and oil went up to 110 on short trips around town. Left town at 3 pm and was a smash on the Bruce so averaged about 28 kph for a lot of the first 55km in very heavy 3 lanes of traffic. Air temp was 36-38C Oil temp went up to 112 at one point.

So I guess all that is acceptable in the circumstances Did morning trip in 1hr 20 mins Home took 2 hr 50 mins. Fun Fun Fun

Users Country Flag
    Have you never seen a rock twist out from under a tyre and fly a fair distance. I have and it didnt stop when it hit a window either. Just got caught by the outside edge and spat out like a rocket
    Anyway we are far off my original topic here You have your theory I have a practical experience so we should leave it at that and it seems the oil is not overheating so all is good .

Oil at right temp and still in the sump and more likely to stay there ROFL
    Mate, not even Amarok and many other 4x4 vehicles have always the full plate under the engine and for sure there are lot of cars in the world without sump protection, so, if your rock twist from under a tyre was a common thing then there would be a lot of engine sumps damaged. In my 40+ years experience as mechanic, I have seen the fuel tanks and lines damaged by the “rock twist from under a front wheel (tyre), but not a single engine sump damaged by flying rock, only when the drivers hit something on the road (run over something).

Can’t we just play nice. I think everyone that has read this thread understands that you each have a different POV.

You’re both coming across as stubborn, old bastards . Let’s move on and argue over something else now!

Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    Can’t we just play nice. I think everyone that has read this thread understands that you each have a different POV.

You’re both coming across as stubborn, old bastards . Let’s move on and argue over something else now!
    Well i started the thread about oil temps and why i wanted to check. It got derailed from there

Another poster wanted an undertray because there is a plastic connector in front of the engine which is NOT protected by the existing tray and he went off road and bumped a rock which tore it apart which lead me to investigate why.

I wasnt looking far a fight All i wanted to find out was if the tray was making a difference to the airflow and thereby pushing oil temps up

SO from my last post does temps look OK
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-12-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Your temps are all good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast