Thread: Oil/ fluid smell from engine bay

Users Country Flag

Oil/ fluid smell from engine bay

Just recently noticed strong smell of hot oil/transmission fluid from the engine bay after a run. Cannot see any evidence of leak of any kind anywhere. 2020 comfort line, 3000 K's. Any advice before I ring VW? Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Just recently noticed strong smell of hot oil/transmission fluid from the engine bay after a run. Cannot see any evidence of leak of any kind anywhere. 2020 comfort line, 3000 K's. Any advice before I ring VW? Cheers
    Just burning in Mine still smells hot and has done 10K
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    Hi Peter
    Smeling on burning oil is not normal. Smell of new hot run in components is bit different .I would advise you go under the car , remove engine bay plastic protector , take good lights and check all under . Especially right driveshaft which connect to bevel box ,( gear box) there is on end blue cap which has seals to prevent oil leak . Not many people know but this is common issue on Tiguan to leak there bevel box oil both side ! , and by rotating connected drive shafts it can spray around bit oil, and over this blue cap on top is hot down pipe and catalytic converter which attach on turbo . if oil spray over it smell on burned oil or smoke , hard to detect from top unless you go and check in from bottom with good lighting

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cameleon72 View Post
    Hi Peter
    Smeling on burning oil is not normal. Smell of new hot run in components is bit different .I would advise you go under the car , remove engine bay plastic protector , take good lights and check all under . Especially right driveshaft which connect to bevel box ,( gear box) there is on end blue cap which has seals to prevent oil leak . Not many people know but this is common issue on Tiguan to leak there bevel box oil both side ! , and by rotating connected drive shafts it can spray around bit oil, and over this blue cap on top is hot down pipe and catalytic converter which attach on turbo . if oil spray over it smell on burned oil or smoke , hard to detect from top unless you go and check in from bottom with good lighting
    The undertray on mine didnt prevent you from seeing anything under the engine as it didnt extend back that far and so any oil from any of the mechanical part would be dripping on the floor.

I bought an undertray on AliExpress that goes right back to the cross member and covers everything. It has little doors in it to allow for oil changes etc and is 10mm thick very solid hard plastic type material.

Mine still makes the garage smell hot when I close it up after I come home but it soon goes away and is just the normal smell of a hot car cooling off and I wondered but on checking found nothing wrong
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan