Thread: Off roading tips and experiences

Off roading tips and experiences

so first off full disclosure:
    1. apart from the occasional dirt/gravel tracks in national parks, never been off roading before
    2. i know that the tiguan has an "off road" mode, and that's probably the extent of my car knowledge (well, i can change a tyre and oil)

looking to get out of sydney a bit more this upcoming holiday, and came across some "easy" off-roading blogs:

Top three Sydney weekend off-road trips for beginners | CarsGuide
    12 Easy 4WD Tracks Close To Sydney You Must Try - Offroadaussie.com

and i've just watched 2019 VW Tiguan 4Motion Offroad Review - YouTube which makes it look easy.

So apart from our cars having a relatively low clearance and long front/back, can anyone share their off road experience?

As an example I want to do Southern Highlands Sojourn: Wombeyan Caves Reserve. doable? tips? should I day trip or camp (i used to camp alot 10 years ago, but now have a 2.5 year old and haven't camped with her)?

I’ve had my allspace in soft sand at Coffin Bay SA. From a traction POV, the Tiguan is quite capable.

It won’t be very durable (haldex won’t like being used lots, diffs, drive shafts, suspension arms, shocks and the like won’t appreciate the constant high load and compression/extension moments that off-roaring provides.
    The DSG won’t like operating at low speeds and high load for long periods of time. If it had a low-range it’d be different- but not the market the car is in.

Honestly, for the sort of car it is, it’ll go anywhere it’s ground clearance and/or tyre/suspension can physically accommodate- just don’t make it a frequent occurrence. The driver will end up being the limitation in most circumstances.

Users Country Flag
    If it creaks going over a big drive entrance. I wouldnt be going on 4wd tracks as clearance isnt very high and get on a rutted track and you could belly it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Vietbargain View Post
    As an example I want to do Southern Highlands Sojourn: Wombeyan Caves Reserve. doable? tips? should I day trip or camp (i used to camp alot 10 years ago, but now have a 2.5 year old and haven't camped with her)?
    Very doable trip, it’s a relatively easy road - 2wd mode will be fine
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

I have just obtained a set of old 17x 8 Audi Q5 wheels to stick some all-terrain rubber on as my start of 2021 project, will feel more comfortable off road not using the 20" low profile rubber! I figure if the tyres are appropriate it's one less thing to worry about, leaves ground clearance as the main concern but the Tiguan isn't too bad.

Looking at 4WD guides to pick out the 'easy' rated tracks locally in South-East Queensland, seems most are forestry roads. Mt Mee isn't far from where I am so will give that a go first. Anyone else in SEQ have any recommendations?

Unsure about beach stuff, it looks like a mix of easy that can change to hard in a flash...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_3MPS View Post
    I have just obtained a set of old 17x 8 Audi Q5 wheels to stick some all-terrain rubber on as my start of 2021 project

Unsure about beach stuff, it looks like a mix of easy that can change to hard in a flash...
    Great move - the 17" with a more off-road based tyre will be much better and more compliant on the dirt

Beach stuff is relatively safe and simple as long as you keep moving and stay on the firmer packed stuff.
    Usually the worst bits are getting on/off the beach. The access is usually chopped up and much softer and easier to to get yourself stuck.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Wheels and tires make a big difference, 20 inch wheels definitely not suited with the low profiles, 17s with either 245 70 17 or 235 70 17 or 18s with 255 55 18 also fit and look better in my opinion although im probably bias as thats what i just fitted on my car, i dont think i would go back to 20 inch wheels 18s are just so much more practical being an SUV with decent ground clearance, obviously never gonna be doing river crossing or climbing rocks but they are pretty capable cars, i've put mine through its paces and i have owned some proper 4WDs previously, if you can grab a spare set of rims Q5 rims come up regularly also alot of VW rims will fit in 5x112 stud pattern and 57.1mm hub centre bore
    Last edited by WA Tiguan; 07-01-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Took our Tiguan into a very sandy rocky track - some high sand humps touched the undercarriage of the car.

The upside:
    The car handled it well and didn't get stuck or bogged.

The downside:
    Somehow the knocks caused the fuel lines to rattle at certain RPM. Even tough the sand never touched them (protected by the plastic undercarriage) something caused them to rattle. I suspect some of the 'glue like substances' that holds the fuel lines to the shaft came loose.

Drove me crazy and I found the solution in a old non-Tiguan VW service PDF online: shove rubber between the fuel lines into the shaft - was extremely hard to do without a hoist but go there in the end.

My tip: keep it on-road. With a plastic oil sump and rattles etc, it's not a car designed to do off-roading
    VW Tiguan 2018 162TSI Highline
    VW Polo 2015 81TSI Comfortline