Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No TP

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
    Does everyone who enables TMC with OBD11/VCDS in Australia end up with the TP error that the OP noticed? Is the error an intermittent thing or a constant error because there's no TP in Australia?
    On my older Polo with RCD310, every time I switch TP on I got a “dong” sound a few seconds after and the message “No TP” would remain in the display. Not getting this with my new DiscoverPro

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianb View Post
    Does everyone who enables TMC with OBD11/VCDS in Australia end up with the TP error that the OP noticed? Is the error an intermittent thing or a constant error because there's no TP in Australia?
    No issues for me in Sydney.
    Here is the coverage map.
    Coverage | Suna Traffic
    Presumably this is where traffic data is available. I’m not sure if the data feed is broadcast nationwide or if it is also limited to the the coverage area.

Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    For TMC to work however, TP must also be switched on.

Hope this clears up the TP/TMC myths floating around.
    I went into settings and unticked TP and TMC still works. I also found some more settings, keep in mind I never listen to the radio so I have not delved into settings in any detail. Today I found that there is a setting for announcements which was at zero so I turned it up to see what happens but yet to drive the car since I changed it and I suspect that this setting is the reason I never hear anything connected with TMC. All this is of novelty value to me as I rarely drive in metro areas where it would be of value but others might like to know.

As I have never heard it work I am curious how these announcements actually happen, do you hear all announcements or are they somehow limited to your area perhaps by GPS location. I doubt this would be the case but if not wouldn't you be bombarded by unwanted information?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    As I have never heard it work I am curious how these announcements actually happen, do you hear all announcements or are they somehow limited to your area perhaps by GPS location. I doubt this would be the case but if not wouldn't you be bombarded by unwanted information?
    Back in 2006 I discovered this in Germany even in old cars with TA. Some bloke interrupts your listening with a beep and a whole bunch of spoken German. It comes over the local radio frequency and seems that is the only form of localisation.
    It would interrupt whatever you’re listening: CD, Cassette, Radio.
    It was a pretty cool service, but all Greek to me 😜

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemannz View Post
    Back in 2006 I discovered this in Germany even in old cars with TA. Some bloke interrupts your listening with a beep and a whole bunch of spoken German. It comes over the local radio frequency and seems that is the only form of localisation.
    It would interrupt whatever you’re listening: CD, Cassette, Radio.
    It was a pretty cool service, but all Greek to me ��
    Correct, that beep is still there but you don’t hear it anymore on radios with TP. When I turn TP off in my new DisctoverPro, TMC also turns off so the two are linked... at least in my car.

The announcements in Germany reach across a very large area so yes, most of the time you hear traffic news for areas you’re not in. Mind you, most announcements are between 30 sec to sometimes 2 mins as traffic news is very current and you only hear current issues. The system is very efficient in Germany. Authorities notify the radio stations in the area and depending on urgency, radio announcers may even interrupt a current song that’s playing.

I am only presuming that TMC has not been affected as the text still shows when I press the TMC button. That could mean a few things, it could mean that the Media Pro has stored the last messages it received and the unit constantly shows that message with no change or it could be still active. I will check if I remember the next time I drive it or perhaps someone else can do it before then.

Users Country Flag
    Do I understand correctly that to have TMC / TP / my 2019 Australian VW, which uses Discover Pro (Generation 2 GP) to have the ability to give traffic reports / suggest alternate routes if there are blockages / show road construction warnings / Dynamic route guidance, I MUST USE OB2 and enable?

I had it in our previous 2015 Toyota somehow but I don't see it in this (more modern) car. The VW Discover manual is confusing about this as I think we need DAB radio or "TMC" but the Toyota did not have DAB. Perhaps I need to turn on "TMC", but I can't see how in the manual. I have seen TMC sometimes at the top of a screen, but it has a line thru it as if it is crossed out. In Media settings I have "Traffic program" ticked. I see TC at the top of the map.
    I have Dynamic route guidance on.
    Is all that not enough?
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by notaGolfR View Post
    Do I understand correctly that to have TMC / TP / my 2019 Australian VW, which uses Discover Pro (Generation 2 GP) to have the ability to give traffic reports / suggest alternate routes if there are blockages / show road construction warnings / Dynamic route guidance, I MUST USE OB2 and enable?

I had it in our previous 2015 Toyota somehow but I don't see it in this (more modern) car. The VW Discover manual is confusing about this as I think we need DAB radio or "TMC" but the Toyota did not have DAB. Perhaps I need to turn on "TMC", but I can't see how in the manual. I have seen TMC sometimes at the top of a screen, but it has a line thru it as if it is crossed out. In Media settings I have "Traffic program" ticked. I see TC at the top of the map.
    I have Dynamic route guidance on.
    Is all that not enough?
    With OBDeleven you do this

Select Control Unit 5F (Information Electrical)
    Adaptations
    Change Fee Based Traffic Information (TMC) value to ‘1024’
    Next, in the normal radio settings, enable ‘Traffic Programme (TP)’ and RDS
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

VWA refuse to pay the license fees in Oz for all VW's so it has to be turned on via coding. I've had it turned on and now wonder why as I never use it.

Users Country Flag

Thx Hillbilly.
    So after much struggling with the manual I was almost there as I had done everything except the OBDeleven thing. Silly me.
    Who would have guessed we need to do the OBDeleven thing? Do VW think everyone has OBD equipment? Do we have to ASK VW to do it? Where would we be without the forums?
    Last edited by notaGolfR; 09-03-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast