Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Users Country Flag

Unhappy No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

I'm posting this in the hope that one of you guys has a solution for this. Or at the very least, I'd like to warn others or save them some time...

There are no diamond-pattern snow chains currently available that will fit the 162TSI with its 18x7 wheels and 235/55 R18 tyres.

I've just had my car measured up by Roof Carrier Systems and there's just too little clearance.You can get spider chains that'll fit. But these are designed for use on winter tyres, not the summer tyres we drive on all year round here. Spider chains aren't even allowed on Hotham, only diamond pattern chains. And the manufacturers don't provide warranty on spider chains that are fitted to summer tyres.

My dealership couldn't help. VW Australia couldn't help. Their only 'solution' was to buy a set of different wheels+winter tyres and swap the wheels over when I want to go to the snow!

So I feel like I may have just bought a car that I can't drive to the snow in
    Last edited by latearrival; 07-08-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Yeah, I would have to say that is one thing I didn't properly consider when choosing the Tiguan. I like to head up to the snow and just assumed that I would be able to get chains for it given its an SUV. I ordered an R-line so I would definitely need a completely separate set of wheels/tyres to be able to fit chains.

I suppose the question now is what size wheels/tyres would we need to be able to fit readily available diamond pattern chains? It would be good to know what the best setup would be to fix the clearance issue.

Michael
    Last edited by gorey; 07-08-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    No I haven't because it won't be allowed at Hotham. Hotham only allows diamond-pattern chains.

Quote Originally Posted by gorey View Post
    what size wheels/tyres would we need to be able to fit readily available diamond pattern chains? It would be good to know what the best setup would be to fix the clearance issue.
    The only thing we've got to go on is the manual which says (on page 381), 215/65 R17 tyres on either 6.5 x 17 wheels or 7 x 17 wheels. The former has clearance for chains up to 13.5mm (plenty), the latter 9mm.

Users Country Flag
    Can you fit a wheel spacer to make them fit, would just need to do the front..

Users Country Flag
    Just found these, they would be perfect for the 162 issue, there is no chain component on the inside of the wheel. So good to go up to 20" wheels.

Weissenfels Clack and Go Quattro SUV Snow Chains for SUV and 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger162 View Post
    Can you fit a wheel spacer to make them fit, would just need to do the front..
    Thanks for the suggestion. But unless they're factory fitted, they're illegal + would void my new car warranty + invalidate my insurance. Apart from that, spacers would be great

Thanks for helping. I'd love to be wrong, but I think the Weissenfels Clack'n'Go Quattro, and the Thule K-Summits, are not permitted at Mt Hotham because they're not diamond-pattern.

Mount Hotham - Wheel Chains
    Last edited by latearrival; 07-08-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added hyperlink

Users Country Flag

How about this place for hire?
    http://ateamskires.com.au/online-snow-chain-hire/

The 4wd pdf had the sizes of both the normal highline as well as for the r line.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast