Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Users Country Flag

Keen to read how they go on the 20” wheels.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

I'm interested in getting the K Summit chains for my tiguan, but notice on the Thule / Konig website, it states only for use on sealed roads.

Most (if not all) the ski fields in NZ have gravel roads up to the car parks.

Any thoughts about why this restriction is written in the website. Has anyone used the K Summit on gravel roads?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayppee View Post
    I'm interested in getting the K Summit chains for my tiguan, but notice on the Thule / Konig website, it states only for use on sealed roads.

Most (if not all) the ski fields in NZ have gravel roads up to the car parks.

Any thoughts about why this restriction is written in the website. Has anyone used the K Summit on gravel roads?

Cheers.
    Best to speak to the particular ski reports in NZ, im pretty sure snow covered car parks (weather gravel or sealed are considered the same)
    I think there disclaimer is more focused on "off road 4wd use" as such, rather than snow chains used when it snows

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been reading this thread with interest over the past couple of days - stoked that I found it.

Bad news is that the K Summits are now banned in all of Victoria and not just Hotham - the regulations were updated in November 2020 it seems. (Snow chains for Disco Sport MY17 | Ski Forum - and confirmed with Falls Creek Resort today that they don't comply)

I see there were some earlier posts from people running only with diamonds on the back. Is anyone able to confirm that they have done this more than once? Are there any potential haldex issues with doing this? (I've read of haldex potentially locking up but not sure if that applies to our systems).

I'm thinking of running the K Summits on the front and getting some diamonds for the rear which I see was suggested as a previous fix for Hotham (I have brand new K Summits sitting here unused after last year's cancellation so I may as well use them and I have to get some diamonds to be legal - no point selling the K summits so may as well use them). Has anyone here actually run with this setup?

Can anyone see running chains on all 4 wheels causing issues with the haldex ? (thinking I'll get 12mm diamond chains which is the same size as the ice-breaker plates on the K summits so hoping that would prevent any potential wheel size difference problems).

Cheers
    Last edited by EveryTwoYears; 11-07-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by EveryTwoYears View Post
    I've been reading this thread with interest over the past couple of days - stoked that I found it.

Bad news is that the K Summits are now banned in all of Victoria and not just Hotham - the regulations were updated in November 2020 it seems. (Snow chains for Disco Sport MY17 | Ski Forum - and confirmed with Falls Creek Resort today that they don't comply)

Cheers
    Ahh thank you for this, was looking a purchasing a set.

Any owners out there looking to sell a couple wheels and tyres? Or any one looking to go 50/50 with me in Vic in buying a second hand set online?

I guess swapping out the fronts and buying a standard set of chains may be the option I take so I don't damage my 20's..

Been monitoring this thread since coming down falls in 2019 in my Tiguan allspace and leaving a light scratch mark on the suspension cap….

Does anyone know the actual clearance requirement for the Tiguan allspace on 235/55 18 (or was it 235/50 1? I found the below on Amazon, whilst there are some reviews having concerns with quality I figured for the 2-3 trips a year up fallscreek should be fine? Goodyear 77958: 7 mm Car Passenger Snow Chains, TUV and ONORM Approved, Size 130 https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B013I9E...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I’m going to pull the trigger if someone can give me some accurate measurements, and happy to rent the chain out for fellow melbournians, I figured if the chain ends up breaking after 1 season, $50 bucks a trip is not bad, it’s costing our family a insane amount to go to the snow, $50 is literately pocket change….

Can someone please advice what’s the verdict on 20” wheels?
    Are there suitable chains for this that won’t cause issues with warranty or insurance or do I need separate snow tyres that has no issues fitting to chains?

Looking to go into Mt Buller and it looks like depending on the weather of the day the AWD models may require chains.

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nsuinteger View Post
    Looking to go into Mt Buller and it looks like depending on the weather of the day the AWD models may require chains.
    Just tell them its a Tiguan and its made for the snow

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Just tell them its a Tiguan and its made for the snow

hmm… the fellow says he’s using snow tyres and it is not australia either 😬

Quote Originally Posted by nsuinteger View Post
    Can someone please advice what’s the verdict on 20” wheels?
    Are there suitable chains for this that won’t cause issues with warranty or insurance or do I need separate snow tyres that has no issues fitting to chains?

Cheers
    According to VW, warranty is only covered if you follow instructions and fit chains to front wheels on a 18inch wheel, the Rline 20inch wheels have no clearance to fit diamond chains on the fronts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast