Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Users Country Flag

Nice summary. Just found this, seems winter tyres can let you off the hook for chains. Costly route to take but for those that are regular would be the go.

Australian regulations | Snow Tyres
    Last edited by Tigger162; 09-08-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Users Country Flag

No going to the snow in a 162TSI 😞

The issue with snow chain clearance is not only with 2017- Tiguan.
    It also applies to
    Skoda Kodiaq
    Volvo XC 90, current model
    Audi Q7, current model
    Audi Q5, new model
    Last edited by tigger73; 10-08-2017 at 07:35 AM.

Users Country Flag
    If you really want to go to buller, why not just buy a second hand pair of wheels and snow tyres? Lets be realistic, the 5x112 stud pattern is readily available (audi/skoda/merc/vw). Find a second hand set of wheels which Ive seen go for as little as $150 for a set, and then find some second hand tyres to allow you to fit the snow chains. Heck, you can even find a set with a lower offset so that you have more clearance.
    It's really not that hard? Or as mentioned use spacers and just be done with it.
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

I can guarantee the tyres fitted to the R-Line will not like the cold and snow one little bit.

Europeans fit a set of winter rims/tyres.

Do what people do in NSW... park below snowline and catch bus or whatever to the slopes.
    Or take the risk... and make sure you make a beeline to your car at the first sign of a blizzard.

There are issues when diamond pattern snow chain systems are used on high performance 2WD or AWD ‘summer’ tyres. On summer tyres snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but the tyre can slip or spin the chain even when they are correctly tensioned on to the tyre. The problem is worse when the vehicle has been parked at the resort because the low ambient temperature makes the tyres harder and therefore has even less grip to the chain.
    Last edited by pologti18t; 10-08-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by pologti18t View Post

Do what people do in NSW... park below snowline and catch bus or whatever to the slopes.
    That is what I did last week at Mt Buller. It's the worst snow I've ever seen there and chains were mandatory and I didn't want to damage my BBS, so I parked down the bottom and caught up a bus. Easy peasy
    - Orange Golf mk1 LS, 1.8 5speed, 32/36 - sold
    - Golf mk1 Swallowtail rebuild, completely stripped
    - Brown U.S import 81 cabby
    - 88 Honda crx b18cr

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMK1 View Post
    If you really want to go to buller, why not just buy a second hand pair of wheels and snow tyres?....
    It's really not that hard? Or as mentioned use spacers and just be done with it.
    Yeah, buying another set of wheels/tyres is an option for some. If you live in an inner city apartment though, like I do, there's nowhere to store a bike yet alone 4 wheels/tyres for the rest of the year.

And Buller isn't the problem because you can fit 0mm clearance chains.

It's Hotham that has the more stringent standards (diamond-pattern). And you still have to carry chains even with winter tyres fitted.

Non-factory fitted spacers are aren't really a viable option. They're illegal and invalidate your warranty and car insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger162 View Post
    Nice summary. Just found this, seems winter tyres can let you off the hook for chains. Costly route to take but for those that are regular would be the go.

Australian regulations | Snow Tyres
    Good find! But I think the Hotham regulations have changed since that was produced (May 2015). That chart says that spider & ladder chains are permitted at Hotham, but that definitely isn't the case any more.

EDIT - IGNORE THIS. I was looking at the wrong column
    Last edited by latearrival; 10-08-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Ignore this post. I was wrong.

Track down a member named 'adioz'. He's dealt with all of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by latearrival View Post
    Good find! But I think the Hotham regulations have changed since that was produced (May 2015). That chart says that spider & ladder chains are permitted at Hotham, but that definitely isn't the case any more.
    Check again, it says not permitted

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger162 View Post
    Check again, it says not permitted
    Right, thanks, sorry. God knows what I was looking at

The info for Hotham seems a bit ambiguous tho'. Under Permitted Chain Types it says:
    Diamond pattern chains - Mandatory.
    Winter/snow tyres - Accepted

Does this mean winter tyres are accepted in-lieu of chains? Or does it mean that you can drive with winter tyres but you still need the mandatory diamond pattern chains?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast