Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    I take my Golf down to Thredbo whenever there is a big dump but i make sure i arrive before the snow falls, mostly to make sure i get first tracks. I don't know about Hotham but there's never been a chain fitting roadblock to leave the village, only to enter it. When you want to leave in the afternoon the roads have inevitably been plowed, salted, gritted and driven a million times anyway. Biggest issue is digging your way out of the carpark when you want to leave.
    There was a pretty decent roadblock the weekend before last!
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

Users Country Flag
    The sad part in all of this is someone can but chains on a Ferrari F-40...but we can't put them on a new top of the range Tiggy!!

Red Bull Filmed An F40 Rallying Through Japanese Snow Because Of Course It Did • Petrolicious
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    There was a pretty decent roadblock the weekend before last!
    I was there for the snowpocalypse last week, got there on the Sunday and left Tuesday. Monday you could ski down alpine way...No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(-img_3995-jpg

That was shot from a jeep we got ride up the hill with Monday morning to get someone.

...and of course there were no chains or winter tyres on the jeep and no problems getting around. No roadblock for chains heading out towards Jindy either.

VW might say that chains should go on the front but can Hotham be allowed to enforce that? I reckon if you had diamond pattern chains on the rear wheels, that's a step too far for Hotham to intervene and it's a pretty safe technicality

Users Country Flag
    Just arrived at Falls and there's a very nice 162 R line parked here. A couple of b7 alltracks too.

Users Country Flag
    My 162TSI and I had a successful trip to Hotham on Sunday the 6th of August. The road from Harrietville was closed for several days due to the severe snow storm and several buses getting stuck.

Luckily we chose to go in the Omeo side to Dinner Plain. We got about 4klms from Dinner Plain before I had to put on the chains. They and the car performed great.

I have a set of Thule CS-10 Size 104 chains fitted to 215/65R17 wheels and tyres. I previously swapped my 18x7 ET43 235/55R18s wheels and tyres for Comfortline 17x7 ET40 215/65R17s which fit the chains perfectly.

cheers
    Andrew

Users Country Flag
    Has anyone had a definitive answer from VW Australia as to actual inside clearance for the 162 R-Line (Suzuka 20x8.5 rims with 255/40 R20 tyres) . I've emailed VW Australia with no response as yet.

I've been looking at low profile snow chain options overseas. The lowest profile diamond chains I can find are 9mm. Feels like there's a small clearance when I put my hand behind the front tyre but no idea how I can measure accurately. Anyone have any technical data?

Quote Originally Posted by smc67 View Post
    Has anyone had a definitive answer from VW Australia as to actual inside clearance for the 162 R-Line (Suzuka 20x8.5 rims with 255/40 R20 tyres) . I've emailed VW Australia with no response as yet.

I've been looking at low profile snow chain options overseas. The lowest profile diamond chains I can find are 9mm. Feels like there's a small clearance when I put my hand behind the front tyre but no idea how I can measure accurately. Anyone have any technical data?
    Hi there, just wondering if you ended up hearing back from VW or otherwise finding out more about using snow chains on the R-Line Tiguan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Unfortunately VW Australia were hopeless. Kept referring me back to the manual but of course the manual doesn't have the specs for the Australian R-Line wheels and tyres. I had them checked by chain hire in Bright last time we were there. Said unlikely can fit to the front but rear shouldn't be a problem. So answer as far as I can ascertain is, if required to fit chains then use diamond pattern on the rear and drive cautiously. Whilst not the best solution, as far as I can read - it's legal for all resorts including Hotham.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast