Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Just don't go to Hotham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No going to the snow in a 162TSI 😞

That's interesting. NSW ski fields regs do not have a mandatory requirement for snow chains for 4WD or AWD vehicles. My son took our X1 to Thredbo last Friday and is just back now, and said the conditions were about as torrid as he's experienced, but the X1 worked well (there is a maximum traction setting; it disables ESP, though). Nevertheless, like the 162 above, I had looked for chains and found the only ones that can be fitted are for the 17" wheels. My son says he wasn't stopped or asked.

(NSW reg: Am I required to carry snow chains in Kosciuszko National Park? | NSW Environment & Heritage )
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by xzar View Post
    How about this place for hire?
    Snow Chain Hire

The 4wd pdf had the sizes of both the normal highline as well as for the r line.
    The problem is that the chains themselves will fit, but 12mm as per that PDF) doesn't leave enough clearance on the inside of the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    That's interesting. NSW ski fields regs do not have a mandatory requirement for snow chains for 4WD or AWD vehicles. My son took our X1 to Thredbo last Friday and is just back now, and said the conditions were about as torrid as he's experienced, but the X1 worked well (there is a maximum traction setting; it disables ESP, though). Nevertheless, like the 162 above, I had looked for chains and found the only ones that can be fitted are for the 17" wheels. My son says he wasn't stopped or asked.

(NSW reg: Am I required to carry snow chains in Kosciuszko National Park? | NSW Environment & Heritage )
    Not only do we have to carry them, but they do spot checks too. I've even heard of them testing people, because you have to be able to show you know how to fit them!

I've been thinking about getting the tagline "Victoria - Nanny State" printed on my license plate

Quote Originally Posted by latearrival View Post
    Not only do we have to carry them, but they do spot checks too. I've even heard of them testing people, because you have to be able to show you know how to fit them!

I've been thinking about getting the tagline "Victoria - Nanny State" printed on my license plate
    Good grief! I'm betting this is not just a problem for X1s, Tigs etc, but most of the high end 4wds/AWDs...Macans, Cayenne, Jags...
    2015 White German SUV
    2013 White German hatch
    2011 Silver French hot hatch
    2008 TR Golf GT TDI DSG

Users Country Flag
    This is not a victoria thing it's a Hotham thing or a great alpine road thing. These diamond pattern rules don't exist for fallscreek and buller for example. Yes still need to carry but more freedom. I agree with the above poster, just don't go to Hotham lol.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger162 View Post
    This is not a victoria thing it's a Hotham thing or a great alpine road thing. These diamond pattern rules don't exist for fallscreek and buller for example. Yes still need to carry but more freedom. I agree with the above poster, just don't go to Hotham lol.
    Hi Tigger162,

So if going to Falls Creek, getting chains with sufficient clearance is possible for the tiguan highline 18"/20" wheels?

I'm looking at the tiguan highline with r line pack and was thinking about going to Fall Creek next winter so the ability to fit snow chains had to factor into the decision making process.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by xzar View Post
    Hi Tigger162,

So if going to Falls Creek, getting chains with sufficient clearance is possible for the tiguan highline 18"/20" wheels?

I'm looking at the tiguan highline with r line pack and was thinking about going to Fall Creek next winter so the ability to fit snow chains had to factor into the decision making process.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    If you look at the chain post of mine earlier, there is a chain that clamps on the tyre and has no hardwear on the inside of the wheel, so these would do the job but o oh if your not off to Hotham. You could always park at the bottom and get bus up hill. I wouldn't be bothered factoring the snow on a car purchase considering it's something you only do a few times a year unless your a hardcore all winter user, I prefer something that is good 95% of the time.

Users Country Flag
    It is annoying. In over 20 years of going to Falls Creek, I've only used chains on 3 occasions and none of those are in the 5 years I've had the Yeti. Going to Hotham, I probably would have had to use them more due to the nature of the road in but it's still hard to justify why Hotham are so pedantic.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

OP here. Summarising what I've learned so far:

1. 0mm clearance chains such as the Thule K Summit and Weissenfels Clack and Go Quattro are acceptable everywhere except Hotham.

2. In 2017, 4WD/AWD vehicles don't need to carry chains for going to the snow in NSW. It's possible this will change in future (apparently the regs in NSW are from the 70s, predating SUVs/AWDs).

3. Winter tyres do not negate the need to carry diamond-pattern chains at Hotham.

4. Fitting wheels/tyres to increase clearance and then using diamond-pattern chains is an option. See this post for specifics.
    Alternatively, fit wheels with winter tyres (and more clearance) for the 3 months of winter (and still carry chains).

5. Hire a car? Nope. Apparently car rental companies don't allow their cars above the snowline

6. After-market spacers? Nope. Illegal. Invalidates new car warranty. Invalidates insurance.

7. Other suggestions - Get the bus. Borrow a car. Avoid Hotham.

Updated 24 August 2019 based on further discussion in this thread.

8. Fit diamond-pattern chains to rear-wheels only. Not recommended by VW (and so possibly not safe) but acceptable to Hotham.

9. Fit 0mm clearance chains to the front wheels (safety) and diamond-pattern chains to the rear wheels (to appease Hotham).
    Last edited by latearrival; 24-08-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Updated with latest knowledge

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast