Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by latearrival View Post
    I've just written to Konig and got an impressively quick reply from customer service. They confirmed the K-Summits can be fitted on summer tyres. They also said that the reported problems (with slipping and rolling off) are due to the mounting not being done correctly. They included detailed mounting instructions but these made little sense to me given I don't own K-Summits yet.

For me this makes the two views reconcilable - Konig saying they work, but Hotham saying they're not allowed. If punters are making more mistakes fitting spider chains (than diamonds) and this is leading to more accidents on the roads, then, regardless of how safe they are (when fitted correctly), they're banned (because they're often not fitted correctly).
    So I suppose this plus what thommo90210 has been saying, it’s another case of the nanny state strikes again?

Quote Originally Posted by latearrival View Post
    I've just written to Konig and got an impressively quick reply from customer service. They confirmed the K-Summits can be fitted on summer tyres. They also said that the reported problems (with slipping and rolling off) are due to the mounting not being done correctly. They included detailed mounting instructions but these made little sense to me given I don't own K-Summits yet.

For me this makes the two views reconcilable - Konig saying they work, but Hotham saying they're not allowed. If punters are making more mistakes fitting spider chains (than diamonds) and this is leading to more accidents on the roads, then, regardless of how safe they are (when fitted correctly), they're banned (because they're often not fitted correctly).
    "Latearrival" I would add that, yes they can be fitted incorrectly, but so can diamonds chains too... the only difference is, if diamond chains are fitted incorrectly, they will remain on the wheel and just chew up and damage everything else in sight... where as, if K-summits are fitted in correctly, and your not paying attention, then yes, they will work themselves off maybe, I haven't "risk assessed" this scenario to see what it will take for the K-summits to fly off as claimed...
    Like I said in my earlier post, I placed them on the wheel, obviously the bottom part of the chain I couldn't get on because of the tarmac, so I drove 50-100m up the road to enable a few revolutions of the wheel to allow the chain to centralize to the tyre, once I did this, I made sure my 4 right angle brackets that link chain to spider arms were hard up against the side wall of the tyre.... once this was achieved, the chain ain't going anywhere... another bit of advice is to get the distributor to size up the correct spacer for the tether bolt and give you a demonstration on how to fit them... this eliminates any issue of incorrect fitting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    So I suppose this plus what thommo90210 has been saying, it’s another case of the nanny state strikes again?
    Definitely nanny state + I don't think that roofcarrier systems guy is helping the cause, he seems to be in too sweet with Hotham !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bump

Anyone here in SE melb suburbs and up for hiring out their K-55s for a few days here and there? If so, please DM me.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by southtig View Post
    Or a SUV that is intended to be taken on icey roads/off-road.
    definitely a bit late to be recommending that piece of advice

Users Country Flag
    I still find it amazing that Hotham gets to implement its own set of arbitrary rules which are not required in any other snowy jurisdiction in Australia.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dptiggie View Post
    Bump

Anyone here in SE melb suburbs and up for hiring out their K-55s for a few days here and there? If so, please DM me.
    Bit the bullet and bought some K-55s. Due to arrive in the next few weeks. If anyone is keen to hire them after that, feel free to DM.

Bit the bullet and bought some K-55s. Due to arrive in the next few weeks. If anyone is keen to hire them after that, feel free to DM.
    Where did you get them from and how much did they end up costing you ?
    I think from memory my cost me about $750 , 2 yrs ago

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thommo90210 View Post
    Where did you get them from and how much did they end up costing you ?
    I think from memory my cost me about $750 , 2 yrs ago

Still the same price generally. But I found a set of the K-55s on Amazon for $560, so snapped it up.

Still the same price generally. But I found a set of the K-55s on Amazon for $560, so snapped it up.
    Winning No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(No going to the snow in a 162TSI :(

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast