Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner possible leaky boot

Users Country Flag

New owner possible leaky boot

Hi Guys,

Just bought my 2016 Tiguan SE Nav (Comfortline i think in Australia) here in the UK from a Seat dealership. So far loving the vehicle and it comes with Heated seats and reverse camera. Love to be back in a VW

Anyways, wanted to ask if any of yous here in Australia experience water ingress via the tail lights? I was having a poke around the spare Tyre area and found a puddle in the Tyre well area

So my spec car doesn't have Pano roof, no tow bar and rear jet washers work just fine.

You can see from the images below water seems to be sneaking in from Off Side area. My suspicion is it's the tail light? Possible drains blocked under the tail light? I am going to attempt to take the tail light out on weekend but what are you suggestions guys?

Thanks

New owner possible leaky boot-20201015_122838-jpg

New owner possible leaky boot-20201020_213214-jpg

New owner possible leaky boot-20201020_213219-jpg

I'd be looking at the antenna, flexible wiring connector for the boot (check rubber seals) and then tail lights. I haven't heard of this happening before but I'd also be trying to find out if the car has been in an accident previously and perhaps has not been repaired/put back 100%.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Yes, check the drains. I had rain leaking into the cabin from blocked drains from the sunroof - happened twice. You may not have a sunroof, just saying that blocked drains can lead to water getting in the car. I cleared my drain tubes with a piece of whipper snipper nylon cord.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you @tigger73 and @kiddiecobbler for the suggestions. I am going to take the trims out from the boot and then using a hosepipe spray the rear and see if I can identify the issue?

It's raining here in my town and already noticed water ingress in the wheel well. None of the carpet around is wet so I am pretty sure it is the tail light which is causing the leak. Hopefully find the leak sooner rather than later.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddiecobbler View Post
    Yes, check the drains. I had rain leaking into the cabin from blocked drains from the sunroof - happened twice. You may not have a sunroof, just saying that blocked drains can lead to water getting in the car. I cleared my drain tubes with a piece of whipper snipper nylon cord.
    I have a pano roof, never cleaned out the drains but would like to know how/where so I can check ‘em
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

If the tail lights have ever been removed the gaskets between the lights and the body could be letting water in.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well guys spent the afternoon diagnosing the leak issue.

Removed some of the trim in the boot and went about with my hose pipe watering the rear boot lid and around the light cluster. Couldn't find any visible leak I sprayed heavily under the bumper and specially near the opening for rear tow bar however I dont have one fitted and again checked for leaks and found none.

Remove the rear OS tail light and checked for any dampness and felt slightly wet but not so much? So added some silicon sealant around the gasket and made sure seal was air tight and also made sure it was tightly secured.

So dried up the boot well again and went for a drive 1 hr later. Came back to some more puddle my luck eh?!! starting to annoy me more. I am assuming it was probably some left over water inside the panels which collected into the wheel well.

If I still find some more water tomorrow while vehicle is stationary then am not sure where else to look????

Are you 100% sure it’s not the rear wiper(or rear camera) washers having a leak when being used?
    Or leaking after use.

If it takes a while for water to flow when activating the rear wiper washer, this may be worth looking into further.

Other thing you can do is put someone in the boot while you're outside with the hose and run it over various areas of the car until you see water. I suspect it's higher up - roof rails, antenna or the cable connector for the boot/tailgate.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

Read my new post and look for Finding leaks (Water ingress) etc or General Body/ Exterior body repairs
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 22-10-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast