Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CarPlay updates

New CarPlay updates

So with the latest Apple WWDC, it announced a major revision to carplay which looks to fix a number of long standing complaints -> Everything new coming to CarPlay in iOS 13 and iOS 13 Preview - Features - Apple

Notable features:
    * Can control the phone, without affecting the app on screen.
    * More useful Home screen (not just list of apps).
    * Better alerts
    * New Apple Maps app
    * Updated Siri, with support for 3rd party apps.
    * Bluetooth album art

Now, it also supports showw information in a second screen. What are the chances that VW will make this available to existing owners via some update?

Is there a way to petition them, and engage with them on requests like this?
    Last edited by AshB; 06-06-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Zero, to less than zero- for anything already in the marketplace/finished design, within 12mths of this being publicly available

Not just VW though. Look at Mazda with their mzd connect system. CarPlay has been ‘coming’ since about 2015. Only got a soft rollout in mid-late 2018.

Not sure what you are wanting VW to do, those changes you mentioned will just show up. A second screen is another whole story. We still don't have wireless carplay and it came out well before I bought my Skoda in 2016 but carplay itself had only just come out that year on VWs.

I was replying to the second screen question.

Users Country Flag
    Isn't Car Play and Android Auto both run from the phone? I'm pretty sure that there is nothing actually locally stored in the media center other than the ability to put the screen on the console and some of the buttons. All the actual app is on the phone. So any update has nothing to do with VW.

Quote Originally Posted by Tob35 View Post
    Isn't Car Play and Android Auto both run from the phone? I'm pretty sure that there is nothing actually locally stored in the media center other than the ability to put the screen on the console and some of the buttons. All the actual app is on the phone. So any update has nothing to do with VW.
    I agree with the above. This is the benefit of Apple Carplay and Android Auto, you're not stuck with an entertainment unit that is dependent on the dealer to be updated.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

It’ll be great if that’s the case, but I’m pretty sure the second screen implementation is 3rd party dependant.

Hope to be wrong!

We’ll see in September, I guess.

While that is true of car play, that it is run from the phone, there are integration points and API's that need to be supported by the car for features to be available. (Think of how it knows that navigation is in use, and also uses the cars night time / daytime sensors to affect google maps app). I would expect the second screen display to be exactly one of those extra "things" a car manufacturer needs to explicitly support (similar to why we don't have wireless carplay).

It honestly seems like it should be a software change, if I am to understand correctly, the AID is driven by the the discover media pro, and is effectively just a second screen, and so it shouldn't require any extra hardware.

Users Country Flag
    Decided to do a bit of testing tonight to see what was different in iOS13 specifically with CarPlay. I have a spare iPhone 6S that is SIM locked to AT&T so not using it for anything at the moment so I downloaded iOS 13 Beta 2 for Developers and installed it on this.

There is some good new and bad news. Firstly the bad news, at this stage there is no info showing on the AID at this stage, either this is a hardware limitation or just not released in this beta version.

Now for the good news, the new layout in CarPlat is much better. While you still have the normal home screen (list of apps) there is a new screen that shows you the map as well as what music is playing:

You can access this by either swiping left on the Apps screen or pressing the old round button at the bottom right corner which now is squares and rectangles depending on the screen.

At the moment this new home screen only works with Apple Maps and not Google Maps so hopefully this will change.

The other great change is the fact you can control the phone without affecting what is showing on the car screen as you can see in the photos above.

They have also standardised the look of the music apps, both Spotify and iTunes music apps look the same. What is nice is that with the Spotify app you can now see the album art for the song you are playing:

Spotify:

iTunes:

There is a couple new standard apps they have included, first is Settings that allows you to change some of the options for CarPlay rather than having to go into the Settings on your phone:

Also added the Calendar app so you can see upcoming appointments:

That is all I have found so far, hopefully more gets added before the final release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AshB View Post
    I would expect the second screen display to be exactly one of those extra "things" a car manufacturer needs to explicitly support (similar to why we don't have wireless carplay).
    We may get  wireless with updated 2020 models?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast