Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nav System Problem

Nav System Problem

My Tiguan is using the the first generation entertainment system which the first Mk2's came with and has the latest software installed. Today I tried to enter an address in Wallgrove the Sydney suburb and the system won't allow me to enter the suburb name and I wonder if some others here might check to see if their system will accept it or not. I turned the system on and off a few times to see if that fixed it but no go.

Users Country Flag
    Have found that sometimes addresses may actually be in an adjacent suburb and therefore it wont find the street because it isnt in the database under what you are entering. Might not be the same problem but is worth noting
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    My Tiguan is using the the first generation entertainment system which the first Mk2's came with and has the latest software installed. Today I tried to enter an address in Wallgrove the Sydney suburb and the system won't allow me to enter the suburb name and I wonder if some others here might check to see if their system will accept it or not. I turned the system on and off a few times to see if that fixed it but no go.
    I could be wrong, but I've never known the area to be identified as Wallgrove. For example, the northern part of Wallgrove Road is in Eastern Creek, moving south to Horsley Park then to Cecil Hills. As far as I know, there is no suburb of Wallgrove unless possibly a new suburb has been created recently which could explain the issue.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Users Country Flag
    Why not use Carplay and Google maps? My 2015 Golf has it so no doubt your 2017 Tiguan does also.

Hmmm looking on Google maps there is no suburb called Wallgrove.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    And this I believe is the crux of the problem, I suspect the correct suburb is likley Eastern Creek. Google maps will suggest the correct suburb name when the street name is entered.
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

Thanks for the replies, it doesn't help when a business does not know what suburb they are in!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Why not use Carplay and Google maps? My 2015 Golf has it so no doubt your 2017 Tiguan does also.

I do a lot of driving where there is no cell coverage at all. Half way across Picton Road there is no coverage and that is just about in Sydney. I only use that as an illustration of how poor reliable cell coverage is outside the Metro areas not because I need a map to find the other end of Picton Road. Besides that my phone does not have a data plan as I have no use at all for it, I know I am strange and need to get with the flow. I have thought about getting a pre-loaded data sim and creating a hot spot in the car to use when I am in the metro area but call me slack because I haven't got around to it yet. Anyone who never takes trips to the more remote areas would not believe to problems with cell coverage between major centres.

Users Country Flag
    You can download the google maps for the area you visit. Google will revert to that map if there is no coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by tek199 View Post
    You can download the google maps for the area you visit. Google will revert to that map if there is no coverage.
    Yes, but if you are not on a set route that does not work. Digital mapping such as we generally use in metro areas can be a real problem in the bush but until you get entirely lost the problems can't be appreciated or understood. I have spoken to a lot of people who travel in more remote areas and none of them would be without paper maps because it is easy to re-orient yourself due to the overview a map gives you. I love digital mapping but it does have its limits that not everyone experiences. Phones are the same, there is a lot of this country and not even remote parts of it that have no cell coverage at all when travelling.

Users Country Flag

I find the inbuilt system hard to use
    It even picks up fire trails
    My wife went on a covid getaway with her sister and they ended up getting directed to a fire trail which was the other end of a National Park from the location they were heading too.

Fortunately after 5mins of driving down the trail they didn’t feel it was the right place, so promptly switched to Google Maps and back tracked the 15kms to get them back onto main roads

Google, Apple Maps and Waze all picked up the correct address straight away, whereas the inbuilt Nav presented the fire trail ahead of the correct address. One to watch out for
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast