Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger

Users Country Flag

MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger

I’m looking for advice on retro fitting OEM wireless charging module to my MY21 Tiguan Allspace.
    I’ve bought module 5NA 980 611 and harness and I’m hoping they’re compatible with my car.
    I have the 9.2” MIB3 head unit with 12 pin connector.
    I have a blanking plate for the module itself.
    On the harness I have the following:
    Red/green cable - I think this needs to clip into the back of the fuse box
    Brown cable - earth/negative to body
    Yellow/red - I think this needs to slot into one of the empty pins on the MIB3 head unit plug
    Yellow/blue - I think this needs to slot into one of the empty pins on the MIB3 head unit plug
    White - I have no idea what this cable is for
    Any help would be appreciated.

MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9879-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9882-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9886-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9891-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9892-jpg
    EDIT: removed Dropbox links and added embedded images.
    Last edited by burraga; 20-06-2022 at 12:52 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I found this article but pins 5 and 11 are already in use on my head unit plug
    FS: Wireless Charger Module & Wiring for MK7 Golf R/Golf/GTI and MQB Tiguan (Allspace) | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by burraga View Post
    I found this article but pins 5 and 11 are already in use on my head unit plug
    FS: Wireless Charger Module & Wiring for MK7 Golf R/Golf/GTI and MQB Tiguan (Allspace) | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum
    Unless it a LOT better than the one in our Kamiq its a waste of time as they are pretty slow chargers. May be Ok on some phones but my $20 AliExpress one I put in the Tiguan is about the same and just as slow. Its ok to chuck it in there on a trip as it will liven it up a bit but nowhere near as fast as my Samsung Duo at home.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I’ve read that before but I’m not too worried. I’ll only be using it for my work iPhone to top up a little extra juice when I’m driving.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve read that before but I’m not too worried. I’ll only be using it for my work iPhone to top up a little extra juice when I’m driving.
    Yep thats all I use it for as it would take forever from zero to 100% My S21 Ultra gets quite hot as well as its a little bit big for the charger
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 18-06-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Could you offer some insight into how you fitted it to your Tiguan?

Users Country Flag
    Could you offer some insight into how you fitted it to your Tiguan?
    I bought this and it just sits in the console as the Tiguans dont have a cutout place to fit the factory one and the Chinese ones are all LHD

15w 10w 7.5w 5w Qi Wireless Charger Car Charger Wireless Charging Dock Pad For Samsung S9 S8 S7 Fast Phone Charger For Iphone 12 - Wireless Chargers - AliExpress

So after a weekend of pulling my hair out and a LOT of help from a mate, I'm managed to get (almost) everything installed so that it looks and operates as if it came out of the factory that way.

Firstly, the difficult wire - the white one. This had to connect into plug C pin 14 of the Body Control Module (BCM). I had to remove the MIB unit, glovebox and surround (about 7 screws including one at the back behind the MIB unit),
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9899-jpg
    two trims pieces on along the edge of the globebox at the door seal, the trim piece running down to the bottom of the passenger A pillar. Once these are removed, you can just see the BCM plugs. Remove plug C (closest plug to you) and pull it down low to access the plug itself. You then have to cut the cable tie so that you slide off the black back off the plug so that you can get to the white pin holders.
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9897-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9917-jpg
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9918-jpg
    Once you can access the pins, look for slot 14 and de-pin the white wire that is already in there. The harness comes with a wire adaptor so. Insert the short white wire into pin 14 slot. Insert the original wire (that's now been removed) into the new mini plug. Plug everything back together including cable tie and plug back into the BCM.
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9927-jpg

Next is the yellow/red and yellow/blue. They plug into the grey connector at the back of the MIB unit (in the glovebox) and not the head unit touch screen display (that I originally thought). Yellow/red goes into empty pin 5 and yellow/blue goes into empty pin 11.
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9929-jpg
    2021 Tiguan Allspace Wolfsburg 162 TSI with Sunroof. Platinum Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    I bought this and it just sits in the console as the Tiguans dont have a cutout place to fit the factory one
    I'm lucking enough with my Tiguan to have a blanking plate that can be easily removed.
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9890-jpg

Next, was the earth wire. I simply ran the brown wire with the ring terminal down to the bottom of the A pillar and and fixed it to the earth post and nut that was already there. There were already 3 other brown wires attached at this point. I don't have a photo but here's the bottom of the A pillar and the earthing point is under the carpet
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9895-jpg

To connect power to the red/green cable I intended to unclip the fuse box, tilt it forward and push the pin into a spare slot. Unfortunately, I could not get the pin connector to slide into place. You can see it here
    MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 - retro fitting wireless charger-img_9921-jpg
    I suspect that the purple pin locking mechanism was the source of my issue.
    Does anyone know how to get around this?

In the end, I used a fuse tap to get it working.

The last item, was to Long Code module 5F, byte 15 - changed it from 00 to 20.
    I suspect I need to code something else as I'm missing the screen 'Qi' icon and notification when my phone starts charging.

It charges my iPhone without issue - all be it slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast