Thread: MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 headunit issue

Users Country Flag

MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 headunit issue

Wondering if any other owners with an MIB3 headunit are experiencing this… I’d say it’s a software issue and will probably be fixed by an update.

Randomly while using wireless CarPlay, the screen will go blank or freeze, music will keep playing (e.g. from Spotify) for a bit, then the unit will reboot.

I haven’t contacted the dealer yet as I haven’t had time, but figure there’s probably a software update they can do that’ll patch the bug.

Another funny quirk about the MY21 MIB3 unit is that the car image in the onscreen graphics is of the face lifted Tiguan SWB, not the current shape LWB.

Should I revert any OBDELEVEN changes before I take it in?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    Wondering if any other owners with an MIB3 headunit are experiencing this… I’d say it’s a software issue and will probably be fixed by an update.

Randomly while using wireless CarPlay, the screen will go blank or freeze, music will keep playing (e.g. from Spotify) for a bit, then the unit will reboot.

I haven’t contacted the dealer yet as I haven’t had time, but figure there’s probably a software update they can do that’ll patch the bug.

Another funny quirk about the MY21 MIB3 unit is that the car image in the onscreen graphics is of the face lifted Tiguan SWB, not the current shape LWB.

Should I revert any OBDELEVEN changes before I take it in?
    Depends on what they are I had mine serviced a while ago and has 32 OBD alterations and nothing was said. However maybe different if a warranty issue comes up.

I havent done anything with performance or Haldex stuff though.

I wonder if like the Skoda MIB 3 there is no way to update the maps in AUS as its done via internet or via a sim card
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I haven’t contacted the dealer yet as I haven’t had time, but figure there’s probably a software update they can do that’ll patch the bug
    I have the same car but haven’t seen this happen at all - and we use wireless CarPlay every day. Are you running the latest version of iOS? since that is essentially what is running on the screen and would more likely cause a problem.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ds7ghss View Post
    I have the same car but haven’t seen this happen at all - and we use wireless CarPlay every day. Are you running the latest version of iOS? since that is essentially what is running on the screen and would more likely cause a problem.
    Hmmm interesting, yep latest version of iOS.

I wonder if your HU is on a different software version? Mine is software version 0782, hardware H56.

The whole HU locks up, and even the Nav in the Instrument Cluster dies, the whole unit then reboots. If it was just the CarPlay bit I’d expect that to lock up and just lose connection or something.

Did some hunting to try and get it to update itself today, connected my Discover Pro to my home wifi and went into software update but it wouldn’t do anything so presume we can’t do OTA updates here unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2021 VW Tiguan Allspace Highline 162TSI R-Line (His)
    2018 Ford Escape ST-Line (Hers)

MY21 Tiguan Allspace MIB3 headunit issue

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Depends on what they are I had mine serviced a while ago and has 32 OBD alterations and nothing was said. However maybe different if a warranty issue comes up.

I havent done anything with performance or Haldex stuff though.

I wonder if like the Skoda MIB 3 there is no way to update the maps in AUS as its done via internet or via a sim card
    Yeah most noticeable things are the dash and rear DRLs, other than that it’s just minor stuff. Might just revert those two so there isn’t anything blaring at them. Oh yeah actually probably should switch the Haldex one back too just in case…

Hmm yeah I suspect might be in the same boat as the Skoda, can connect to Wifi but the Software update page screen doesn’t seem to do anything… I might see if it does load something in the background overnight as our Ford does that.

I wonder if your HU is on a different software version? Mine is software version 0782, hardware H56.

Did some hunting to try and get it to update itself today, connected my Discover Pro to my home wifi and went into software update but it wouldn’t do anything so presume we can’t do OTA updates here unfortunately
    Just checked and exact same hardware and software versions - and also can’t do updates on wifi either. Probably a faulty head unit by the sound of things - hopefully VW can replicate and replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by ds7ghss View Post
    Just checked and exact same hardware and software versions - and also can’t do updates on wifi either. Probably a faulty head unit by the sound of things - hopefully VW can replicate and replace it.
    Thanks mate, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and book her in.

Bugger about the no wifi updates, I hope they change that eventually…

Users Country Flag
    Over wireless only?
    I have an MIB2 PQ unit and AA Wireless dongle. Initially had an issue with rebooting whilst streaming audio due to the way in which VW units in particular do audio synchronisation (not other brands).
    However AA Wireless were able to make a fix which resolved it.
    So would think that VAG and their OEMs will be able to update with a software fix to resolve.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

TBH I have only noticed it wirelessly, but it is wireless 99% of the time as the only way I’ve noticed it stays cabled is if I plug in then turn the ignition on, otherwise it’s always wireless.

Interesting about the aftermarket unit triggering similar behaviour, it definitely seems like a software bug to the way it behaves. It actually did it the other day when I jumped in and chucked it in reverse, boom, screen off so no reversing camera lol… I was like what do you mean I need to actually look over my shoulder like a peasant?!

Users Country Flag

I would say this is standard - I have 2018 version and it shows SWB version in my Allspace
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line