Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is my Tiguan 4WD?

Is my Tiguan 4WD?

Can someone explain if Tiguan 162Tsi Sportline considered as 4WD. There is a 4Motion badge on the back but can I go off road as you would on let’s say Land Cruiser? Will it get bogged in the sand? On the control panel there are settings for “off road” driving but what does that in really mean? What’s the difference between VW and Toyota’s 4X4?
    Thanks
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI Sportline | DarkNight Tint
    MY14.5 PASSAT 118TSI | Octane Tint

I can’t answer 100% accurately, but the simple answer is ‘no’

It has an awd system, where drive can be sent to any number of the 4 wheels- but this means it’s possible to be driving only one. Traction control should then transmit power to a wheel that isn’t already spinning, but as there isn’t a lockable front/rear and/or centre diff/transfer case, it’s not a 4wd, so need to be aware.

It’ll do ok in sand if you let the tyres down and it’s not too whooped out(basically zero suspension travel) but our tyres aren’t made for it really. Low profile and highway tread pattern, after all.

So, is the clearance and smaller tyres are the difference?
    I guess with my 20’ wheels it will be hard to hit the dunes
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI Sportline | DarkNight Tint
    MY14.5 PASSAT 118TSI | Octane Tint

I think you'd be surprised what a standard Tiguan would get through, however don't take it through water that is above the sills or through big mud pits or large volumes of soft sand.

Tyres will make a reasonable difference. However ultimately you have no low range and no diff lock so plan your escape strategy before entering any tricky stuff (you should do this anyway).

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Have a look on YouTube, lots of videos there including some mad Russian stuff. Given proper all terrain tyres and get rid of the toy wheels they come fitted with and I reckon it would go places but it is not a low range/transfer case four wheel drive.

Users Country Flag
    For a good overview of AWD (which 4Motion is) vs 4WD, check out https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/a...to-choose.html

As has been pointed out, Tiguan is not strictly speaking a 4WD. A more interesting question is whether places like ski resorts that don't require chains from 4WD cars require chains on AWDs.. that I don't know.

AWD and 4WD is treated the same at ski resorts in Australia. The biggest issue is that NSW and VIC differ. NSW doesn’t require chains to be carried (only for 2WD) but VIC does for 4WD and AWD, and in the case of Mt Hotham they insist on diamond pattern which doesn’t work with the 20” Suzuka wheels on the R-Line Highline.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dieterbohlen View Post
    What’s the difference between VW and Toyota’s 4X4?
    Most Landcruisers are driven by blokes who can't drive in one lane and get their jollies dragging off Kias at the traffic lights because they have a V8 badge.

I suspect this is not the point of this thread though.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    Most Landcruisers are driven by blokes who can't drive in one lane and get their jollies dragging off Kias at the traffic lights because they have a V8 badge.

I suspect this is not the point of this thread though.
    Although off topic... Absolutely accurate!!!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tob35 View Post
    Although off topic... Absolutely accurate!!!
    Still off topic, would a stock 162tsi Tig beat a stock V8 Landcruiser?
    Tiguan Highline 162TSI | Indium Grey | DAP | MY18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast