Thread: Mounts for driving lights.

Users Country Flag

Mounts for driving lights.

I have one of the early (2016 build) 162 TSI Tiguan Mark II's with about 75,000 K.s on it to date. I love the car and have kept it basically stock. The LED headlights are good for spread, but not so great for penetration, as I do quite a bit of country driving. I would love to fit my old 100w HID driving lights, but so far I haven't found any ready made mounting options. I will go custom if I have to, but has any one done it yet? I asked the question some years ago with no luck; any change in the landscape?

Users Country Flag
    Keen to see if there are any ideas here too.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Have you thought about getting one of the number plate frame things which you can mount spotlights too ?
    SCA, Steadi both sell what I'm trying to explain

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by whitevx View Post
    Have you thought about getting one of the number plate frame things which you can mount spotlights too ?
    SCA, Steadi both sell what I'm trying to explain

Yes. That's what I had the spots mounted to on my previous cars. Unfortunately the active cruise control/radar sensor thingy is in the grille badge and would be blocked by the lights if mounted that way. Also the number plate mount is too flimsy to hold the weight of the lights, even with a backing plate. I have done some testing with cardboard mock-ups taped to the bumper and the lights would have to be mounted right out near the inner edge of the headlight cluster to clear the radar beam. That's why I may have to go custom. Anyone know a good, reliable, affordable shop that does this kind of work? Preferably in the West of Melbourne?

Users Country Flag
    Interested in the same. Has anyone else done anything with driving lights? Is roof mounted a better idea with the sensors?

I mounted two Cibie LED Super Oscars on my Tiguan using the bolts/screws that hold the top radiator shrouds and plastic panels on under the bonnet. There is JUST ABOUT enough room for the plates for the mounts when the bonnet is closed when the mounts are in place and I have been giving thoughts to run a light bar between the two Cibie mounts as well to fill in if front of the car. I am an old fart and my light perception has dropped hugely in the last couple of years but when I went from my Skoda to Superb it was noticeable to me that the LEDS were not a patch on the Bi-Xenons of the Skoda. They had far far better penentration after I fitted 125 watt inners instead of the pathetic 40 watts Skoda put in them.

The next problem is controlling the lights as a normal relay cannot be used due to how the CANBUS controls the switching between high and low beam and you need one of these CAN Bus High Beam Interface | CANNECT HIGHBEAM (canm8.com) We tried to build our own but in the end used the CanM8 unit which can be supplied in Oz by a company in Perth but others may do it now. Mine was probably the first done and it took a bit of mucking around to organise things.

We put a rocker switch in one of the blanks in the console and the whole lot works well. The lights don't live on the car so I am going to make a two piece mount so the base can stay on the car and the secondary mount will stay on the lights and be be bolted to the car mount when needed. The only reason I want that is because the lights cost an arm and a leg and I have had driving lights stolen before.