Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by NjB View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but why would such a thing be turned off in the first place? Is it a licensing issue for VW?
    Yes. VW Australia has not purchased the license from SUNA to allow activation of TMC.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Yes. VW Australia has not purchased the license from SUNA to allow activation of TMC.
    Yep, exactly that ^^^
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White

Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Actually, I'm not sure you're correct there.

Audi has been licensed to use SUNA for a couple of years. Despite that, Audis still have to be manually activated via VCDS to allow traffic to be displayed. I was involved in the voyage of discovery that determined what needed to be done to activate it. A lot of very smart people did a lot of work to get it up and running.

While I'm not certain that the licence to use SUNA extends to all VAG brands, the same activation protocol exists with today's Discover Pro system whether fitted to Audi, VW or Skoda. SUNA clearly doesn't care, and they have no way of knowing what vehicles are connected as it's a very basic FM radio based data stream which anyone can tune into provided you can decode it. It's not Google Maps traffic, but it's better than nothing.

I think it's just laziness and customer contempt on behalf of VW and the other VAG brands that this isn't activated by default from the factory.

What needs to happen though, is for VAG to catch up with Japanese and Korean brands which offer data based traffic information which is far more accurate than the SUNA FM based traffic we now have. This data is available now, in Australia, from several providers. SUNA provides this data (along with its more basic FM traffic feed), as does TomTom and, if I recall correctly, Inrix, which is the provider of traffic data for Google Maps. They also provide data on weather, news, parking spots, petrol prices, you name it. The data is there and available, just needs the appropriate agreements in place.
    Last edited by IsDon; 21-01-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by NjB View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but why would such a thing be turned off in the first place? Is it a licensing issue for VW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NjB: This same question was asked when I was first developing the instructions for this tweak. I'm not sure about the specific case of the new Tiggy, but it was also touted for the Golf mk7 that licensing provisions were not in place for this model and that this was the reason for the omission. However, as we discovered to our delight, it was simply just not activated by VW Australia!

As OP has already said, TMC is not able to detect the type of vehicle that is receiving the signal - it's simply a broadcast service that can be picked-up by any suitable receiver and IMO, all MIB11 units have this capability. I have recently received an adaptation channel map for the 5F module from the new Tiggy (it's from an NAR model) and it proves that the requisite channel for TMC is present in the MIB unit. The admap for the new Tiggy is also remarkably similar to the more established Golf mk7 - so the incestuous heritage of both these models is clearly evident!

As to why TMC is not factory activated in the Tiggy (like it wasn't/isn't still activated in most Golf Mk7s), I don't personally hold to the theory that "it's just laziness and customer contempt on behalf of VW" (sorry IsDon) - although I do believe that VW Australia is to blame. Notwithstanding that I share IsDon's implied opinion regarding VW's appalling treatment of its clientele in Australia, I do believe that their sole motivation is shareholder profit - which often appears to those seeking redress from the inappropriately named Customer (don't) Care representatives to be "laziness and customer contempt"

My personal view (unproven and totally speculative), is that the omission is a deliberate marketing strategy by VW Australia - Clearly MQB vehicles appear to have TMC capabilities because of the common MIB platform, I suspect that VW Australia have attempted to create product differentiation with their Aussie vehicles. So, more prestigious models (Audi?) might get this facility, whereas lower class vehicles (defined by the advertised price scale) do not.

Of course OBD devices like VCDS/VCP/OBDeleven can circumvent this, but the impact on the strategy as a whole is not large! This deliberate strategy might also explain why dealers (who are really just VW Australia agents) are reticent to make the change when requested by clients!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 30-01-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Hi all,

Could the opening of all windows (and/or the sunroof) from the key fob (if it doesn't do this already) and association of the set Virtual Cockpit layout to a driver setup or seat position following be made via VCDS tweaks?

I am in Melbourne, how would one get these changes made, as well as some of the others listed and what is an approximate cost?

Cheers!

Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

Quote Originally Posted by JB286 View Post
    Hi all,

Could the opening of all windows (and/or the sunroof) from the key fob (if it doesn't do this already) and association of the set Virtual Cockpit layout to a driver setup or seat position following be made via VCDS tweaks?

I am in Melbourne, how would one get these changes made, as well as some of the others listed and what is an approximate cost?

Cheers!
    Certainly on my A6 any open windows and sunroof can be closed by holding down the lock button on the key fob. I'm pretty sure that's standard operation. If it's not it is a very straightforward VCDS code. In fact you can code it to work in conjunction with the rain sensor as well. The rain sensor is used to turn the wipers on an off. It can be also utilised to automagically wind up the windows and close the sunroof if you've inadvertently left them open and it starts raining.

I'm not familiar with the virtual cockpit, and whether or not it can be tied to the individual key like the seats and mirrors. It seems logical, but will require some experimentation.

I do this coding for anyone that asks nicely, and don't charge for it. I'm in Sydney so that won't help you unfortunately. Universal currency (beer) is offered and that's a nice gesture, but not expected. I work on the premise of what goes around comes around. I'm sure most guys on here think the same. I'm sure you'll find someone in Melbourne more that happy to help. It's nice to use the excuse of some coding to meet some great people and their machinery from this forum and OzAudi.
    Last edited by IsDon; 03-02-2017 at 11:26 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    I do this coding for anyone that asks nicely, and don't charge for it. I'm in Sydney so that won't help you unfortunately. Universal currency (beer) is offered and that's a nice gesture, but not expected. I work on the premise of what goes around comes around. I'm sure most guys on here think the same. I'm sure you'll find someone in Melbourne more that happy to help. It's nice to use the excuse of some coding to meet some great people and their machinery from this forum and OzAudi.
    IsDon, I'll be asking very nicely when I get my Tiguan I'm in Sydney and can provide some nice quality beer!

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

It's a date Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
    It's a date Mk2 Tiguan VCDS Tweaks

I get mine in May....Can I make it a 3some, pretty please LOL
    MY18 Tiguan 162TSI, Deep Black Pearl, R-Line, Sunroof, DAP | Ordered 6th Jan 17 | Delivered Nov 17

Quote Originally Posted by TIG162R View Post
    I get mine in May....Can I make it a 3some, pretty please LOL
    Ménage à trois.

Certainly. Any more?

We could start a swingers club.

Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast