Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Tiguan Tuning

What's the going rate for the APR tune? When I did my Golf many years back under the old distributor arrangement it was at the high end of what was out there, is it cheaper comparably now?

Users Country Flag
    There are a huge amount of tunes out there you have to pick one which suits you i.e cost,availability of tuner,ect ect
    I would avoid a tuning box myself look for someone who does the tune with a dyno is what i would go for so you get a map like everyone else but then it is fine tuned for your car
    2017 Golf Alltrack 135tdi All options
    19 inch Brescia Wheels Golf R brakes front and rear
    Calipers painted Candy apple gold
    New rear sway bar and linkages

APR no longer do any local development so none of the files are tested/developed on Aus crappy fuel (known to be one of the worst in the world) as they once were.

It’s not a bad idea to get your car run on the dyno to check fuel trims or go to a tuner that actually does the file development in the country.

I used to run APR on my old Tig but now run RD Technik on both my cars. These files are developed in a Australia for local fuel and have some of the best files out in terms of drivability and power/torque output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Aus crappy fuel (known to be one of the worst in the world)
    Since around 40% of our petrol fuel imports come from Singapore, another 40% from South Korea and a small % from Japan, I'm not sure how our petrol can be "the worst in the world". Since all of these countries and their surrounds get the same petrol as we do. I have worked and still work with a number of car manufacturers and it's been many years since Australia had different engine tunes for out petrol. We do have different tunes (as well as mechanical components, larger radiators etc) in a small number of cases based on our average temperatures, but I haven't seen anything related to petrol for decades.

IMHO, petrol differences are a myth promoted by local tuners to support their claims.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    I am waiting for someone to do a stage 1 on any 2017+ Tiguan and just hear what its like!

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    Since around 40% of our petrol fuel imports come from Singapore, another 40% from South Korea and a small % from Japan, I'm not sure how our petrol can be "the worst in the world". Since all of these countries and their surrounds get the same petrol as we do. I have worked and still work with a number of car manufacturers and it's been many years since Australia had different engine tunes for out petrol. We do have different tunes (as well as mechanical components, larger radiators etc) in a small number of cases based on our average temperatures, but I haven't seen anything related to petrol for decades.

IMHO, petrol differences are a myth promoted by local tuners to support their claims.
    Incorrect. We get all the stuff that is out of spec for other countries. We have some of the highest sulphur content fuel of developed countries and is more in line with developing countries fuel.

This also limits the engines that some manufacturers bring here and the level of tune. Do you wonder why the Golf R is detuned to 206kW when the rest of the world get 220kW? Temperature may be a factor, however the biggest factor (that the car companies don't say) will be the poor fuel quality.

It's not a myth. There's a heap of articles on our low fuel quality standards. Here's a quick selection:

Sulfur Levels in Australian Petrol and Global Best Practice

Benz slams local high-sulphur petrol | GoAuto

The Breakdown: Australian fuel quality and emissions
    Last edited by tigger73; 06-02-2018 at 12:45 PM.

I don’t want to debate the quality of fuel here but I doubt that’s the reason for retuned cars. The Golf R and S3 can make 220kw on 95RON and, regardless of our **** fuel, MUCH more with a tune. I also doubt the APR tune was ever varied or adapted for Australia. I assume it was only a justification for upping (doubling) the prices here.

That said, I’ve had two Audi’s with a APR tune and the Tiguan will get one soon! For anyone interested in a piggy back, I’ve posted this before but here it is again, the gains on an S3 were 25% ATW for the JB1 and another 10%on top of that when I went to the APR.

Quote Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
    I don’t want to debate the quality of fuel here but I doubt that’s the reason for retuned cars. The Golf R and S3 can make 220kw on 95RON and, regardless of our **** fuel, MUCH more with a tune. I also doubt the APR tune was ever varied or adapted for Australia. I assume it was only a justification for upping (doubling) the prices here.

That said, I’ve had two Audi’s with a APR tune and the Tiguan will get one soon! For anyone interested in a piggy back, I’ve posted this before but here it is again, the gains on an S3 were 25% ATW for the JB1 and another 10%on top of that when I went to the APR.
    My 2015 Golf R DSG hatch comes out of manufacturer's warranty and I'm chomping at the bit to go to APR for ecu + trans tune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi all, I have recently had my 162 TSI flashed with APR stage 1 (v1.2) in Melb, and had a direct comparison “run” with a GEN 1 Tig APR stage 1 (v2.4). Off the line both cars with LC, we found it was even until the legal freeway limit. On a roll using manual paddles (sport selected) at 60km/h, the new tig walked him by over a car past 100km/h. I think the weight of the 20” wheels might be offsetting the power gain claimed by APR. Might be time for an IS38 swap to relive good ol K04 times........

Quote Originally Posted by ewok666 View Post
    Correct this is not the thread for discussing fuel quality. /subject

Harding Performance (ex APR distributor for 16+ years) did a lot to build the APR distribution network in Australia. This included getting APR engineers out to do file development for a couple of weeks a year.

Having a local distributor that stocks hardware locally, does product development for the local market, actively markets and promotes the product and provides local support in business hours doesn’t come free and this did add to the price of the product.

There were still a lot of people that were prepared to pay for the backup and support of the dealer network. Unfortunately this local support network and hardware stocking layer was removed a couple of years back.

There are many people that were/are unhappy with the way Harding Performance was treated and how the business that they had built up over many years was pulled from underneath only weeks after winning APRs global top distributor award.

So there’s a number of people who don’t agree with the business ethics of APR. There are certainly other choices in the market and I would encourage people to explore these even including the new Harding Performance brand OEM+. Not that I’ve personally used it but I do believe in what Guy Harding does and he has been a long term supporter/contributor to this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast