Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi Launches 10 Year Warranty

Whadjuk, Kwoppa Keppa / Fremantle Western Australia

Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    Doesn't sound like a very profitable business model if that was the case...
    you would think a a lot of things would be breaking by 10 years, I guess it comes down to the delineation of fault versus wear and tear.
    I guess also if they cover next to nothing at 3 years, its not much different if they say they do it for another 7
    2018 Tiguan Allspace TDI DAP+S&V
    2010 Mazda RX8 GT

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    So true - their range is so boring and ugly. Just like most of the other Jap manufacturers (Subaru, Nissan, Honda etc).
    Agree the designs and internals are boring. Toyota are the most reliable cars but the insides look bland & cheap it puts me off buying one.

Don't really care if it spurs the New Car Market into competing on moving towards standard 7, 8, 10 year warranties.

This may just push Kia to 10 years and Hyundai to 8 Years

Kia Australia chief operating officer, Damien Meredith ... admitted that he is ready to act if a rival jumps to seven-years. Kia in the United States offers a 10-year warranty as standard and it is likely to be the next step.
    Source: Kia won't offer 10-year warranty... yet - Car News | CarsGuide

COO Damien Meredith told us this week that once another mass-market brand launches an equivalent warranty on a permanent basis, he would immediately lobby his Korean head office to green-light a longer period of coverage – potentially 10 years

Source: Kia Australia ready to push for 10-year warranty | CarAdvice

Hyundai is studying an unprecedented eight-year warranty in an effort to arrest a sales slide in Australia’s softening new-car marketSource: Hyundai to change the game in Australia: Brand studying eight-year warranty to reclaim ownership bragging rights - Car News | CarsGuide

Users Country Flag
    Who cares, if you keep your car only 5 years?
    Remember, that the time will come when more and more people will hear that the fault is due to wear and tear and therefore not covered under the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Who cares, if you keep your car only 5 years?
    Remember, that the time will come when more and more people will hear that the fault is due to wear and tear and therefore not covered under the warranty.
    My SUV Electric Park Brake button broke at 6.5 Years (warranty was 5 Years). Not wear and tear, just cheap design and plastics.

If the Auto Transmissions dies at 6 years (looking at you dodgy VW DCT) on a 7 year warranty it is not wear and tear. Same with the air conditioner.

5 Years is too short if you do low km's. Warranty should be at least 7 Years for a $50k SUV.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    My SUV Park Brake button broke at 6.5 Years (warranty was 5 Years). Not wear and tear, just cheap design and plastics.

If the Auto Transmissions dies at 6 years (looking at you dodgy VW DCT) on a 7 year warranty it is not wear and tear. Same with the air conditioner.

5 Years is too short if you do low km's. Warranty should be at least 7 Years for a $50k SUV.
    The warranty is against faults and defects during manufacturing process, not for the wear and tear.

The warranty is against faults and defects during manufacturing process, not for the wear and tear.
    That's not quite how the ACL works. The more the retail item costs, the more the court will expect it to last.

$3K TV should last longer than a $400 TV, regardless of Manufacturers warranty. ACL trumps manufactures warranty and the dodgy 'wear & tear' definitions that are used to evade the ACL.

The moment Mitsubishi goes to 10 Year warranty, it will create an implied warranty under the ACL and then be enforceable against all car manufactures, especially the more expensive the car.

Good times ahead

That’s the thing though, if a vehicle is warranted for X years, it is saying that things won’t ‘wear and tear’ in that time.
    Ie- they have engineered it to last.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    That’s the thing though, if a vehicle is warranted for X years, it is saying that things won’t ‘wear and tear’ in that time.
    Ie- they have engineered it to last.
    Agreed. Love it !

Users Country Flag
    I think the point Transporter is making is that 'wear and tear' will exclude a lot of things people might think are covered.

It is definitely not saying that everything on the car will last during the warranty period.

Have a read of Kia's seven year warranty and you'll find lots of things that you'll still need to cover yourself. Even little things like all the people who take up uber type jobs, you've just capped your mileage at 150km (which admittedly is still a decent whack).

I think it is fantastic that Kia offer seven years, and an abomination that VW still flogs a lot of product under three year deals.. but longer warranty periods are definitely not the panacea I suspect people are hoping it is.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Agree the designs and internals are boring. Toyota are the most reliable cars but the insides look bland & cheap it puts me off buying one.
    ]
    Marketing still works I see.
    As reliable as any other car. Plenty of issues if you talk to the RACQ road assist guys. No more or less just normal stuff.
    Out west where Hilux and Ranger compete head to head both get same amount of callouts. From personal experience my work car had issues with remote control not connecting unless you are standing just right and holding the remote just right (Toyota replaced remote battery and after 3rd complaint replaced receiver in the car), DPF issues, car losing alignment and scrubbing tyres (im pretty mechanically sympathetic and Fortuner shouldnt scrub tyres during city commutes or long distance country drives). All covered under warranty. Other users had issues with timing belt, injectors in 2.8Diesels etc. And then you have a 2000's technology in 50k car.

I look forward to getting home and whenever I can I take our '09 147TSi for a run to put a smile on my face. Need bread, no problem, another excuse to take a long road.
    The old girl hasn't missed a beat and in the last 7 years apart from servcing had a sun shade and headlining replaced.
    Last edited by tek199; 20-09-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast