Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Melb to Adelaide trip in new Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Otherwise my technique is; use the hills accelerate and decelerate as after as you can once the engine temp is over 70degC. First 100km of engines life is very important, engine can be driven normally after 1500km. Hook up your trailer if you have one after 500km. Always observe the OIL temperature, don’t let it go over 120degC.
    Change that engine oil and filter at 1500km.
    I’ve never had an engine that required excessive oil top ups between services. If any.
    What is the need to change the oil and oil filter at 1500 km ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    What is the need to change the oil and oil filter at 1500 km ?
    It’s how I run the engine in. You feel free to change your oil in car manufacturer recommend intervals.
    Last edited by Transporter; 25-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.

I assume his reason is to fully remove any remaining free pieces of metal that were left over from the manufacturing/early bedding in processes that happen during run-in. They hopefully end up trapped in the filter(and not at the oil pump inlet mesh)

It’s possible for them to block the filter, or escape and then have the chance to cause damage- beyond any that may have occurred on the way into the filter.

I do the oil change part, but trust/gamble that if there were enough metal parts that they can now escape/block the filter, then there were probably enough to have already caused issues- warranty can deal with it.

The oil change, I’ve always done and liked for new engines. Mainly a habit from my motorcycle background.

When I was living in the country, I wouldn’t bother doing intermediate oil changes, due to the nature of my car/bike use. Now I’m in the city and doing lots of short/slow trips, I do a half-way oil change on all my cars. then let the dealer do their scheduled yearly service (warranty) too.

Cheers.

Users Country Flag
    It’s how I run the engine in. You feel free to change your oil in car manufacturer recommend intervals.
    Do you do the 1500 km oil change yourself or do it at a dealer ?

Users Country Flag
    I used to do circa 1500km changes on new vehicles ‘back in the day’ but don’t any longer. My personal stance is that machining technologies have evolved to a point, and assembly line process improved so much, the likelihood of having sufficient material in the oil at that early stage to warrant changing is negligible, can understand why people do it though, it’s cheap enough insurance.

to those that do an early change, have you ever sent a sample of that early changed oil off for analysis? If so, what was the result? I’m talking the last few years, not 20 years ago.

am sue the op has all the info they need by now, but I reckon a good road trip like that is a brilliant way to settle in a drivetrain. Good heat cycle, plenty of load changes through terrain undulations, and a wide enough rev range variation simply by going through whatever towns you encounter along the way.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag

Melb to Adelaide trip in new Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Do you do the 1500 km oil change yourself or do it at a dealer ?
    Always myself. Never had anyone to change my oil. It’s risky enough to have only necessary warranty work done there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dose Pipe Sutututu View Post
    You want to load it up, just drive it hard to be honest.

I put ours into S mode and set the TPS at 100% lol. On it's 2nd tank of fuel, it saw a dozen hard launches with launch control.

A few weeks later, took it on unsealed roads and spun all fours in the mud.

12k kms later and oil wise it's at the half way mark where as other people who have some what "babied" theirs have gotten low oil warning.
    I redlined mine out of the dealership the same as we did for all 3 of our VW's and drove it like I stole it for the next hour or so and none of our VW's need oil between services. One was a diesel, two were petrol.

What 1500km oil change are we talking about? The first service is 15,000km as far as I know and that is what mine got. They haven't chewed oil or blown up so it seems to be ok to go to 15,000.
    Last edited by Ozsko; 25-05-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    I redlined mine out of the dealership the same as we did for all 3 of our VW's and drove it like I stole it for the next hour or so and none of our VW's need oil between services. One was a diesel, two were petrol.

What 1500km oil change are we talking about? The first service is 15,000km as far as I know and that is what mine got. They haven't chewed oil or blown up so it seems to be ok to go to 15,000.
    Well, I’m happy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post

My kind of car enthusiast

Users Country Flag

Always myself. Never had anyone to change my oil. It’s risky enough to have only necessary warranty work done there.
    If you change the oil yourself, do you still do an annual service at the dealership to maintain the service book to be compliant for the warranty ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast