Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint

Anyone had any luck matching the tint form the factory supplied R-Line for the front passenger windows?
    (rear and rearside windows)?

Mine has been done, but i'm considering having it removed and re-matched if possible. The front's have a green/grey tinge to them, and not the charcoal/darker tint that comes straight out the factory.

Tried searching thru the various posts but came up trumps. Surely this is a common problem, I don't think you can purchase any VW without tint (i.e. 162 Tiguan R-Line and specify it removed) like Audi etc, so most are either driving with no tint on the front, or a badly matched tint at that. Or am I the only one unhappy with my tint job?

Cheers in adv
    MY19 Tiguan 162TSI Highline Allspace | DAP, R-Line, S&V, Sunroof, White

Users Country Flag
    You may not be able to match the fronts with the rears if the rears have the privacy glass fitted. It's basically black coloured glass with no UV or heat protection properties.
    Of course you can have tint applied to them to give you those properties.

Now because you can't go any darker than 35% tint on the front the windows end up looking grey/green with a legal tint applied.

You could get a higher percentage one applied but you risk being fined and ordered to remove them, and driving (especially parking) at night will be a scary experience.

Or have I misread your question?

Users Country Flag
    And you can request no tint to be applied if it's a new car purchase.
    I did and got it tinted elsewhere.

And some people do buy new cars and drive around in them with no tint. Strange folk. Each to their own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    And you can request no tint to be applied if it's a new car purchase.
    I did and got it tinted elsewhere.

And some people do buy new cars and drive around in them with no tint. Strange folk. Each to their own.

They dont have tint ON the windows from the factory The GLASS IS the TINT and the rears are too dark to have the same on the front passengers windows. Besides would be bloody hard to see anything through them at night
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I had the dealer tint the front windows to match the rear privacy ones, and it's an almost perfect match, aside from the green hue which doesn't seem to be present in the privacy glass. But it's hardly noticeable unless you catch it under the right conditions (which isn't often).
    Unfortunately I have no information about who did it, and what they did. But a solution is definitely out there (albeit not as perfect as you seemingly want)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    They dont have tint ON the windows from the factory The GLASS IS the TINT and the rears are too dark to have the same on the front passengers windows. Besides would be bloody hard to see anything through them at night
    What are you on about, the glass is the tint?
    Of course the windows aren't tinted from the factory, it's an option you can pay for when purchasing.
    And most cars for the last 10 or so years have "privacy glass" which isn't a tint it's a colour.
    Did you even see my first reply?

Users Country Flag
    Just had the front drivers/passengers windows tinted in my R-line. If you look closely you can see they are not the same as the coloured privacy glass but close enough for me. I’m expecting most would not notice the difference.
    May 20 - Nov 19 MY20 Tiguan 162 TSI
    May 16 - Apr 16 Mazda 3 Sp25 GT - 2020 hail storm write-off
    May 13 - 2013 Mk7 Golf Highline.
    May 10 - 2009 Falcon G6E with beige leather.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PDMJO View Post
    I had the dealer tint the front windows to match the rear privacy ones, and it's an almost perfect match,
    I parked next to another R-Line Tig at Bunnings the other day and noticed straight away how much darker their front tints were compared to mine. Theirs matched the rear privacy glass, whereas mine is slightly lighter tint
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    You will need to go darker than the legal 35% to come close to matching the rear privacy tint both in colour and darkness.

When I had my Golf R, it had the factory privacy tint on the rear. I used 16% on the front, and went over the rear windows with 35% and the colour match was almost perfect as well as the level of tint %. I had this tint done by Rob at Hunters Hill Window Tinting (Sydney) and he did an excellent job.

Only problem with 16% tint was that at night it was a bit too dark to see clearly. Looked great during the day and lots of privacy but a bit too dark at night.

With my Lexus, I went a bit lighter 24% all round (no privacy tint on this car) so they all matched and the 24% was fine to see out of at night. This was tinted by Killian Window Tinting in Newcastle (another great tinter).

Now with my Subaru, It had the factory tint on the rear windows, very dark and black colour from the factory. Once again i used Killian and asked him to try and match the colour on the front windows to the rear. He used 24% again and did a very good job. In certain lights you can see its not quite a perfect match, but most of the time it looks spot on.

With my wifes Audi, it has the factory privacy tint, and the front windows were tinted by the previous owner - but they are too light in colour and have some scratches on them, so ill be getting them redone in the next few weeks. Once again ill go to killian and will probably go with 24% again (see what he recommends) to try and match up the colour front to rear.

I see you are located on the Central Coast. If I was you, I would make the trip to either see Rob at Hunters Hill in Sydney or Simon from Killian here in Newcastle for a really good quality job and a good colour match.

2x different angles for the Golf R. 16% on the fronts and 35% over the factory privacy glass in the rear:

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-golf-rs-jpg

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-golf-r-jpg

Lexus - 24% all round (no privacy tint on this car). The "tinted" photo looks darker than it actually was:

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-img_1098-jpg

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-lexus-isf-jpg

Subaru Liberty (no tint on front windows but privacy tint on rear, vs front tinted 24% to closely match rear privacy tint):

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-subaru-no-tint-jpg

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-subaru-tinted2-jpg

Wife's Audi about to be re-tinted so that front windows are a closer match to the rear factory privacy tint:

Matching Aftermarket Tint to Factory Tint-audi-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-06-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Really good info guys. Thanks for the suggestion on Killian in Newcastle. I would say my Tiguan looks similar to your Subaru having done the tints. They look close, but you can still see some difference between front and rear, the back windows always look that slight bit darker. My bug bear is that the front's look a different colour than the factory privacy, it was done by the first owner out of Melbourne, so still pondering whether I should give this a go myself, get someone to remove and try match colour and tint.

Depending on cost, I would be willing to match it if I can improve the look.
    MY19 Tiguan 162TSI Highline Allspace | DAP, R-Line, S&V, Sunroof, White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast