Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best SUV Tyre for 2024

Users Country Flag

Best SUV Tyre for 2024

Hi all,

Looking to get some new set of rubber to replace the existing Continentals (they are worn at 30K km).

VW Tiguan 162TSI Highline R-Line (255/40 R20)

• Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 - (tread depth 6.4 mm)
    • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 - (tread depth 7.1 mm)
    • Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 - (tread depth 8 mm) (Treadwear Rating: 300)
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 5 - (tread depth ??? mm) (Treadwear Rating: 340)
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - (tread depth 7.5 mm) (Treadwear Rating: 300)
    • Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV - (tread depth 7.4 mm)
    • Continental PremiumContact 7 - (tread depth 6.5 mm)
    • Continental ContiEcoContact 6 - (tread depth 6.7mm)
    • Pirelli Scorpion Verde - (tread depth 9.5 mm)
    • Pirelli P Zero - (tread depth 7.2 mm)
    • Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 - (tread depth 7.5 mm) (Treadwear Rating: 290)
    • Hankook Ventus S1 EVO3 - (tread depth ??? mm) (Treadwear Rating: ???)
    • Kumho HP71 - (tread depth 7.9 mm)
    • Bridgestone Turanza - (tread depth ??? mm)

Looking for the best tyre for Comfort, Lowest Wear (longest kms), Low Noise

Does anyone have one of the above or others on their Tiguan they can recommend?

PremiumContact 7 VS Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 - Tyre reviews and ratings
    Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 VS Pilot Sport 5 - Tyre reviews and ratings
    EfficientGrip Performance 2 VS Primacy 4 Plus - Tyre reviews and ratings
    Premium Contact 6 VS Pilot Sport 4 - Tyre reviews and ratings
    Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 VS Pilot Sport 5 - Tyre reviews and ratings
    Last edited by FastMitch; 07-03-2024 at 06:18 PM.

I had been a big fan of the Michelins but now recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Verde.
    Have them on my Q5 which will tick all your requirements. The Michelin Latitude Sports 3 I had were only good for 45k.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    You know it's funny, Flipper Dog just said Pirelli Scorpion Verde, and on the Tiggy we just bought I'm looking to swap away from them as I feel they make the ride too firm. I think they'll last for a ton of km but if comfort is your main requisite, then these aren't for you.

I literally just sat down after a 500km drive to look for a softer tyre and saw this thread...

Oz

Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    [*]Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 - (tread depth 7.5 mm)
    For what it's worth we have these Hankooks on both our Elegance 147's, on our cars from new. hers in 2021 and 2023.

They are the self sealing version with a treadwear rating of 290 in 235/50/19 size.

I run them at 260kPa and our cars set with the DCC in comfort setting the vast majority of time.

They are very quiet and comfortable tyres in this setting and even in the normal and sport settings are still comfortable.

I rotated the wife's at 10,000k and recently at 20,000k and there is very little wear so should last us well over 40,000k maybe even 50,000k in my car as it does mostly long distance highway motoring between major centres and capital cities.

Neither the wife or I are hard drivers so that is probably why the wear is low on our vehicles.

I hope you can find a tyre that suits all your needs. Let the forum know when you do,

Happy motoring!
    BeigeJet
    White MY23 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (mine)
    White MY21 Tiguan 147 TDI Elegance (wife)
    Gone - Wheat Beige MY07 Jetta TDI manual

Users Country Flag
    Recently sold my 2017 Tiguan R-Line which had just clock over 70k and low and behold it had Pirelli Scorpion Verde feet, these were also the original tyres so no complaints from me.

But part two of this story is very similar to Flipper Dog, I purchased one of those Dynamic black Q5's late last year and it was shod with the Michelin Latitude Sports 3, low and behold my other half decided to hit the gutter at speed which took out the tyre wall so had to replace 1 x Michelin Latitude Sports 3 and as it was just before Christmas I was unable to source one tyre until mid to late January. Being a quattro there was no way I was going to have different tyres so you guessed it, I replaced all four tyres with Pirelli Scorpion Verde due to my excellent run with the tiggy.

The only issue I have at the moment is that have three Michelin Latitude Sports 3 tyres sitting in my garage with only 2k on them that nobody wants - oh well, can't win all the time

Users Country Flag
    Currently Mycar have 30% off Khumo until 10 March (need to be installed by 30 March) - so probably going to pull the pin today on a set of:

KUMHO HP71/EV 255/40R20 Tyres | mycar

Listed as $307 each including balancing and disposal - not alignment from what I can see.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by FastMitch View Post
    Hi all,

Looking to get some new set of rubber to replace the existing Continentals (they are worn at 35K km).

• Michelin Pilot Sport 5 - (tread depth 3.2 mm)
    • Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 - (tread depth 7.5 mm) (Treadwear Rating: 290)
    • Kumho Crugen HP71 - (tread depth 7.9 mm)

Looking for the best tyre for Comfort, Lowest Wear (longest kms), Low Noise
    I assume the tread depth on the Michelin is a typo at 3.2mm?

The Hankook Evo 2 is an old tyre. The current model is the Evo 3. I have the Evo 3 on my Audi SQ5 and also had this same tyre on my Mk7 Golf GTI and find it to be a very good tyre for the price - especially when you snag them on a 'buy 4 and pay for 3 deal' which Jax tyres do multiple times a year. Its quiet, grips well and wears well. Treadwear rating is 320 from memory but ill check and update.

Just checked and they currently have a buy 4 and pay for 3 deal on the Hankooks for the month of March: Hankook - Buy 3 and get the 4th FREE

I had the Kumho Crugen HP91 previously on the SQ5 for about 4 years. They lasted about 50,000km and still had a bit of tread life left but the rubber was cracking and starting to fall apart and i didn't feel confident driving at 100kph on them any longer. Treadwear rating was either 400 or 420 on these tyres and they were harder than the Hankooks (using the super accurate pushing the fingernail into the tread guage)
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 04-03-2024 at 02:51 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Any reason Bridgestone aren't on the list?

I just repalced a set of OEM Toyo tyres on my Wifes CX-8 (225/55R19) earlier this year with a new set of Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 001. The Toyo's still had a little life left at about 50,000 but the timing of an interstate road trip and a 3 for 4 deal saw me kick them over a little early.

I hunted around in circles for a while before settling on the Bridgestones and in the few thousand KM's we have done so far they seem quiet and plenty grippy for the application. I feel they are a step up from the Toyo's.

Not that it's applicable for an SUV, but I just replaced the RE-003s on my Golf with a new set of the same (again 3 for 4 deal) at about 30k. They still had some life but were nearly 9 years old and showing signs of cracking. I'm still a fan of these tyres.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I assume the tread depth on the Michelin is a typo at 3.2mm?
    Thanks Lucas, it was a typo and I have corrected and added the treadwear rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The Hankook Evo 2 is an old tyre.
    Just checked and they currently have a buy 4 and pay for 3 deal on the Hankooks for the month of March: Hankook - Buy 3 and get the 4th FREE
    I added the Evo 2 as that's what came up as available tyres when I did the search for my Rline 20"

I have added the Evo 3 to the list but I don't have the stats on those. Happy to amend if you can send through the tread depth and Treadwear Rating

Between the Hankook's and the Kumho's, which do you find to be the better tyres?
    Last edited by FastMitch; 04-03-2024 at 08:30 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Any reason Bridgestone aren't on the list?
    Thanks Hawk, I didn't include the Bridgestone Ecopia as they didn't come up when doing a tyre search for my Rline 20" Tyres

I have included the Bridgestone Turanza into the list as that's what shows up as available for the Rline 20"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast