Thread: Map in AID and Android Auto/CarPlay Navigation

Map in AID and Android Auto/CarPlay Navigation

Has anyone worked out if it's possible to get the map showing in the AID(2) while having active navigation with Android Auto (or CarPlay)?

If I have Google Maps open via Android Auto but not navigating, I can can see the built in map on the AID fine, but if you start navigation it just has a message that smartphone navigation is active (or something like that).

Seems to be an artificial limitation, because if I navigate with the car maps, I can still see a moving map within Android Auto fine, and if I am navigating using Android Auto, and I switch the entertainment screen to the car maps, it still gives me the audible driving directions.

I don't want to use the built in maps for navigation - they just aren't as good, there is no live traffic to update times/closures etc and it's harder to input addresses - but it still would be really good to have a moving map visible in the middle of the AID to glance as (albeit without the routing showing etc).

I am hoping there might be a coding for it that can be changes with VCDS/OBDEleven

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ajobbins View Post

I don't want to use the built in maps for navigation - they just aren't as good, there is no live traffic to update times/closures etc and it's harder to input addresses -.

I am hoping there might be a coding for it that can be changes with VCDS/OBDEleven
    There is as was driving up the Bruce a week or so ago and the road on the map changed to red for a kilometer or so and a balloon said there was a traffic problem ahead. As I got closer the red line got shorter until I passed the problem point and it disappeared as did the problem. .

No harder to input addresses than any other Tomtom or Garmin
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Used to be able to do it with Waze on Android Auto - not sure if it worked on iOS.
    Lost the ability to do it about 6 months ago with an update. Not sure if that was a Waze update or Android update

Edit - link to how I was able to do it previously
    Android Auto on DiscoverPro
    Last edited by iDiesel; 23-07-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Have you activated TMC? I agree using Google Maps (or sim.) is better, but TMC is a step closer.

Users Country Flag
    What if you input the address in the native navigation, then set nav announcement volume to 0.
    Start Google Maps or whatever and put the address in again, then listen to the nav announcements there.
    Don't have a car with Active Info so I can't test this myself.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    What if you input the address in the native navigation, then set nav announcement volume to 0.
    Start Google Maps or whatever and put the address in again, then listen to the nav announcements there.
    Don't have a car with Active Info so I can't test this myself.
    The routes don't usually match up so can make for a confusing drive.

I have never been able to get Carplay working in the AID but would definitely be keen to do it if we work out how.
    Current:
    2017 Mk2 Tiguan 162TSI, R-line, White
    2020 Mk7.5 Golf R Wagon, White