Thread: Lowered suspension and sensor re-calibration

Lowered suspension and sensor re-calibration

I have a new Tiguan 230ps on order and expect to get it in a couple of weeks, I have thoughts about lowering it (40-50mm) on KW coilovers for DCC, however whilst looking into this option in seems that all the 'assist' sensors for the likes of ACC, lane assist etc... will need re-calibrated at a considerable cost probably by the main dealer.

1) Fit lowered suspension
    2) Get alignment/geometry set
    3) Get assist sensors re-calibrated

I am keen to here experiences of people who have lowered theirs and is it worth it?

Users Country Flag
    There's a couple of threads now which discuss people's opinions of having their Tig lowered - I believe it's all positive.

I had mine lowered 30mm but didn't get the sensors recalibrated. I'm not sure if it's just hypersensitivity, but I've noticed the lane assist now pulls to the left more than it used to...

But short of getting them recalibrated, there's no way of knowing if the 30mm drop has actually caused any noticeable change. There's every chance I'm just paying more attention to it post-lowering.

If you do go down the recalibration route, I'd recommend shopping around - more and more mechanics are becoming ADAS equipped as the tech becomes more mainstream.

Users Country Flag
    Since we can carry 5 passengers, up to 50 kgs of fuel with a maximum payload of around 650 kgs the ride height is going to change a lot from driver only to when fully loaded and maybe towing a trailer. The lane assist sensors output from the rear vision mirror so would also be calibrated to allow for going up and down hills etc looking at the road in front. The front assist sensors align with the road surface and have to pick up vehicles from very low cars to high trucks with airspace underneath. As a result I'm not sure how a Tiguan's ride height can have anything to do with the assist sensors. Sounds like a way to make money to me.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Maybe the radar/sonar based sensors on the front of the car (radar cruise and side/cross traffic assist)

Being permanently 15-30mm(guessing) lower may make just enough of an effect on those same undulations, hills and whatnot, to be ‘best practice’ to re-calibrate?

Users Country Flag
    40-50mm is decent drop. I've dropped mine 30mm using springs and haven't noticed any issues so far.
    I don't really use the ACC much and lane assist is off.

Users Country Flag

I have H&R lowered springs in mine, had a wheel alignment only after install.

Had 5 people in car with boot full of bags and never had any issues of rubbing or shock bottoming out.
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels