Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiaq seats in a Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lolcats View Post
    You sir like to live on the edge! If the car comes with safety features I’d prefer not to fck with them. Even if I’m the best driver in the world (I’m not btw), there’ll always be some idiot willing to smash into you at a moments notice.

On a track car, sure as you’ve added other safety features, eg. helmet, cage, but on a road car, I’d recommend not screwing around with any of the safety gear. Each to their own I guess. Just my 2c…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lets consider risk from a consequence and likelihood perspective.

Before I turned 10 seatbelts weren't compulsory. People rarely wore seatbelts and many cars didn't have them fitted. I do remember Mum driving around the corner in an FB Holden and the door swung open and my Sister grabbed me to stop me from falling out. Luckily mum didn't carry a lot of speed through corners so it all happened slowly.

I was 15 when dad bought a car with seatbelts in the rear. The car even had radial tyres. There wasn't much more in terms of passive safety features.

IIRC airbags became common in "normal cars" around 1995 (just for the front occupants in the steering wheel and dashboard).

Side airbags common in plebs cars around 2005????

The Octy has airbags in the steering wheel, A-pillar, front seat and somewhere up the back for the rear seat. It also has side intrusion bars, a safety cell and pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners. Deleting the seat airbags increased the consequence by how much? The likelihood hasn't changed.

Given that I've managed more than 42 years of licence holding (and 8 years of driving cars & tractors / motorcycle riding prior to that) without any major crashes that weren't my fault, I think my likelihood of a crash, the likelihood and consequence rating are medium at worst.

Thanks for your concern.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Given that I've managed more than 42 years of licence holding (and 8 years of driving cars & tractors / motorcycle riding prior to that) without any major crashes that weren't my fault, I think my likelihood of a crash, the likelihood and consequence rating are medium at worst.

Thanks for your concern.
    The old Ive done it for 40 years so its ok"

Look at it from another perspective.

All your cars have probably complied with regulations and were all good. Now you have illegally modified your present car so that it is no longer roadworthy. Should you in your 43rd year of driving be involved in an accident an the airbags malfunction you could be up the proverbial creek without a paddle'
    Is not something I would be telling the world about . Get someone T bone you on drivers side and airbag doesnt go off it might be your last year of driving
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    The old Ive done it for 40 years so its ok"

Look at it from another perspective.

All your cars have probably complied with regulations and were all good. Now you have illegally modified your present car so that it is no longer roadworthy. Should you in your 43rd year of driving be involved in an accident an the airbags malfunction you could be up the proverbial creek without a paddle'
    Is not something I would be telling the world about . Get someone T bone you on drivers side and airbag doesnt go off it might be your last year of driving
    If you read my first reply properly you would'nt write what you have.

Some mothers do have 'em.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    If you read my first reply properly you would'nt write what you have.

Some mothers do have 'em.
    You said this in your first reply

"Mechanically they fitted right in.

The airbag connectors were different and I couldn't be bothered hardwiring them.
    "
    Which I took to mean that they bolted in ok but you couldnt connect the airbags or the power seat connections.

If so what I said stands as you have disabled a mandatory safety feature.

If this is not what happened your writing is open to interpretation

Yes some mothers do dont they.

Users Country Flag
    You said this in your first reply

"Mechanically they fitted right in.

The airbag connectors were different and I couldn't be bothered hardwiring them.
    "
    Which I took to mean that they bolted in ok but you couldnt connect the airbags or the power seat connections.

If so what I said stands as you have disabled a mandatory safety feature.

If this is not what happened your writing is open to interpretation

Yes some mothers do dont they.
    Just for you, because your attention span doesn't exceed 4 lines.

Couldn't sell the Octy seats for love, nor money and put them back in. Sold the S3 seats to a guy for his HiLux.
    Or maybe you have a problem with writing in past and present tense?

Users Country Flag
    Just for you, because your attention span doesn't exceed 4 lines.

Or maybe you have a problem with writing in past and present tense?
    Fair enough but you still did have them in for a (short/longer) while didnt you??????????????????
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 26-06-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Fair enough but you still did have them in for a (short/longer) while didnt you??????????????????
    I did. 2 months.

As a person that regularly does quite high level risk assessments as part of my job I was happy to accept that the likelihood of an accident hadn't changed and the consequence had only slightly increased. As the only driver of the vehicle that level of risk wasn't transferred directly in any way.

You have to look at the bigger picture and how many holes in the swiss cheese will likely line up.

Users Country Flag
    I did. 2 months.

As a person that regularly does quite high level risk assessments as part of my job I was happy to accept that the likelihood of an accident hadn't changed and the consequence had only slightly increased. As the only driver of the vehicle that level of risk wasn't transferred directly in any way.

You have to look at the bigger picture and how many holes in the swiss cheese will likely line up.
    Glad you dont do risk assessment for me. Having a car unroadworthy for 2 months is not my idea of a sensible thing to do, no matter how low you consider the risk.
    Murphys law can often ruin what seems like a good idea in an instant.

Anyway your car your life but I prefer to remain legal and know I dont have to worry.

Users Country Flag
    Glad you dont do risk assessment for me. Having a car unroadworthy for 2 months is not my idea of a sensible thing to do, no matter how low you consider the risk.
    Murphys law can often ruin what seems like a good idea in an instant.

Anyway your car your life but I prefer to remain legal and know I dont have to worry.
    What I do with my personal life doesn't necessarily reflect my professional practices. A risk assessment is a collaborative document and nobody want's the Spanish inquisition.

Make sure you polish that halo every night.

Users Country Flag

Kodiaq seats in a Tiguan

Before I turned 10 seatbelts weren't compulsory. People rarely wore seatbelts and many cars didn't have them fitted. I do remember Mum driving around the corner in an FB Holden and the door swung open and my Sister grabbed me to stop me from falling out. Luckily mum didn't carry a lot of speed through corners so it all happened slowly.

I was 15 when dad bought a car with seatbelts in the rear. The car even had radial tyres. There wasn't much more in terms of passive safety features.

IIRC airbags became common in "normal cars" around 1995 (just for the front occupants in the steering wheel and dashboard).

Side airbags common in plebs cars around 2005????

The Octy has airbags in the steering wheel, A-pillar, front seat and somewhere up the back for the rear seat. It also has side intrusion bars, a safety cell and pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners. Deleting the seat airbags increased the consequence by how much? The likelihood hasn't changed.

Thanks for your concern.
    Not sure what point you’re trying to make here… road safety has come ahead leaps and bounds even in the last 10 years. Let’s take a look at the road toll statistics over the last 60 years…

Year : Total deaths per 100,000 population:
    - 1951 : 23.8
    - 1960 : 24
    - 1970 : 30.4 (the year seatbelts became compulsory in VIC)
    - 1980 : 22.3
    - 1990: 13.66
    - 2000 : 9.49
    - 2010 : 6.14
    - 2015 : 5.08
    - 2018 : 4.6
    - 2020 : 4.32

If you consider how much less dense the population was even 20 years ago, those stats would likely be significantly higher if the population was what it was today back then…

I’d say you and your family are rather fortunate to have avoided a road fatality or serious injury. I for one know that if there is a safety feature that could have saved one of my loved ones from their unfortunate fates I would demand that in my car, and I do, e.g. AEB, ABS, airbags, seatbelts, the ADR, and regular safety checks.

Yes, people do stupid things and you can only do so much to help stupid, but I’d much prefer to have the safety features than not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by lolcats; 27-06-2021 at 11:20 AM.
    2021 VW Tiguan Allspace Highline 162TSI R-Line (His)
    2018 Ford Escape ST-Line (Hers)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast