Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IS38 Swap 162tsi

Users Country Flag

IS38 Swap 162tsi

Hey guys, been combing through past threads gathering info related to IS38 swaps on the 162tsi and looking to get some advice from guys who have done the swap what is and isn't worth doing, i'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible to see how much power i can gain on a budget, so far i have ordered a used but almost new OEM IS38 06K145874P cost me 1200 aud from the UK and i was looking at getting an Ultrex DP available from Ultrex in Perth they are pretty cheap i think about 700 bucks these come with a 100cell cat and suited to a Golf R but i presume they will fit, i was looking at keeping the standard exhaust from the Cat back as i want to keep the car fairly quiet are there many on here who have done the same, how does it sound ? is it possible to reroute the downward facing tailpipes through the fake exhaust tips if i was to cut out the black plastic and leave the chrome outer or would it melt has it been done, i know alot of guys fitting R suitcases but if possible id rather keep stock rear box unless there are power gains to be had with the R exhaust

As far as tunes i was looking at OEM+, Revo, APR and also Etuners Motorsport any recommendations ?

Is it worth getting cold air intake or does the standard airbox with a drop in filter and snow grate filter do the same job ?

last thing is it worth fitting a intercooler is there much in the way of power gains to be had ?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,

Lots of questions in there, will do my best to answer - I'm having an IS38 & X-force downpipe fitted & tuned next Friday by Frans @ Fat Auto (also Etuners WA).

I am similar to you in trying to keep costs down. I went with Etuners mostly to do with flexibility and price, but also having done a few familiar names on here over east.

Mixed feedback on the Ultrex downpipes - yes they are cheap but have a reputation for not fitting 100% - quality may have improved but depends on where you are getting done. I wanted to avoid any hassles hence going for the x-force downpipe. $800 vs ~$950 on sale for the x-force. I plan on getting a larger resonator re-fitted to the downpipe as I also want to keep it quiet, and some on here have complained of raspiness with their down-pipe installs.

I have a Golf R muffler fitted and removed the fake trim so can't speak to that. Not sure it would be worth the effort of cutting the black plastic surround.

Intake - I have K&N panel, snow grate removed, silicone pipe to CTS inlet elbow. Sourced most second hand so saved some $ there. Minimal gains (if any) in this setup compared to the expensive ones. I would at least do the panel filter and inlet elbow.

Intercooler is personal choice / circumstances and I have done a lot of reading on + discussed with some who have done this on here and are not running one.. I'm not going to run one as I don't flog the car (especially when it's hot) or plan to track it. Some people swear on having one and I will probably fit one down the track, but at this stage the car will be tuned accordingly for not.

Looking at about $5.5k all up.

Let me know if you have any more questions being in Perth.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy35851 View Post
    Hi there,

Lots of questions in there, will do my best to answer - I'm having an IS38 & X-force downpipe fitted & tuned next Friday by Frans @ Fat Auto (also Etuners WA).

I am similar to you in trying to keep costs down. I went with Etuners mostly to do with flexibility and price, but also having done a few familiar names on here over east.

Mixed feedback on the Ultrex downpipes - yes they are cheap but have a reputation for not fitting 100% - quality may have improved but depends on where you are getting done. I wanted to avoid any hassles hence going for the x-force downpipe. $800 vs ~$950 on sale for the x-force. I plan on getting a larger resonator re-fitted to the downpipe as I also want to keep it quiet, and some on here have complained of raspiness with their down-pipe installs.

I have a Golf R muffler fitted and removed the fake trim so can't speak to that. Not sure it would be worth the effort of cutting the black plastic surround.

Intake - I have K&N panel, snow grate removed, silicone pipe to CTS inlet elbow. Sourced most second hand so saved some $ there. Minimal gains (if any) in this setup compared to the expensive ones. I would at least do the panel filter and inlet elbow.

Intercooler is personal choice / circumstances and I have done a lot of reading on + discussed with some who have done this on here and are not running one.. I'm not going to run one as I don't flog the car (especially when it's hot) or plan to track it. Some people swear on having one and I will probably fit one down the track, but at this stage the car will be tuned accordingly for not.

Are you sourcing the X force DP from VW central, are you having Frans from FAT auto fit all the hardware for you too
    ?

Users Country Flag
    Your best bet is to go a basic Stage 2. Get an IS38 fitted and a matching tune. Leave everything else as is. You'll be amazed at how snappy the car becomes.

You could go for minor intake mods but the stock air box and filter isn't too bad if you remove the snow grate.

If you want to start chasing kW numbers then set a budget.

Bear in mind, once you install a DP you will no longer have a resonator and you will get drone, even with the standard muffler.
    I ended up getting a Magnaflow muffler installed around the midsection of the car to remove the noise. I also have a Golf R muffler, and the drone certainly got worse when that was added.
    I don't believe there are performance gains going with the Golf R muffler. Whilst they are high flowing, they are more for looks and sound.
    If you want quiet, keep the stock muffler and DP.

Being an Etuners customer in Sydney I certainly recommend them. They do more than just tunes and can help plan out all the mods your talking about. I would raise it with Perth offshoot as to what you want and your budget and see what they can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    Your best bet is to go a basic Stage 2. Get an IS38 fitted and a matching tune. Leave everything else as is. You'll be amazed at how snappy the car becomes.

You could go for minor intake mods but the stock air box and filter isn't too bad if you remove the snow grate.

If you want to start chasing kW numbers then set a budget.

Bear in mind, once you install a DP you will no longer have a resonator and you will get drone, even with the standard muffler.
    I ended up getting a Magnaflow muffler installed around the midsection of the car to remove the noise. I also have a Golf R muffler, and the drone certainly got worse when that was added.
    I don't believe there are performance gains going with the Golf R muffler. Whilst they are high flowing, they are more for looks and sound.
    If you want quiet, keep the stock muffler and DP.

Being an Etuners customer in Sydney I certainly recommend them. They do more than just tunes and can help plan out all the mods your talking about. I would raise it with Perth offshoot as to what you want and your budget and see what they can offer.

Has anyone done just an IS38 swap and remap with stock downpipe and exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by WA Tiguan View Post
    Are you sourcing the X force DP from VW central, are you having Frans from FAT auto fit all the hardware for you too
    ?
    I got the downpipe from Sparesbox, and yes he is fitting turbo & downpipe.

Has anyone done just an IS38 swap and remap with stock downpipe and exhaust
    Yes it’s effectively a stage 1 Mk7 Golf R.

You should push 200-210kwaw with this setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Yes it’s effectively a stage 1 Mk7 Golf R.

You should push 200-210kwaw with this setup.

I might go down this route if i can get 200kw atw with just a turbo swap and remap i would be very happy and shouldnt cost much more than 3k, would the tune simply be a golf r stage 1 tune or would it be specifically for a tiguan with is38 and stock exhaust/DP

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy35851 View Post
    Hi there,

Defo keen to here how it goes mate, just looking at the xforce downpipe too I wonder how it would go with stock muffler surely it would be quietish with the built-in resonator, on sale at vw Central st the moment only 935 bucks

I might go down this route if i can get 200kw atw with just a turbo swap and remap i would be very happy and shouldnt cost much more than 3k, would the tune simply be a golf r stage 1 tune or would it be specifically for a tiguan with is38 and stock exhaust/DP
    Talk to your tuner but most tuners will have a file for it. It’s effectively a GTI with IS38 swap which is quite a common setup.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast