Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IS38 Swap 162tsi

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Talk to your tuner but most tuners will have a file for it. It’s effectively a GTI with IS38 swap which is quite a common setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Been in touch with etuners wa they have a file for this application they did a golf gti recently

Quote Originally Posted by WA Tiguan View Post
    Been in touch with etuners wa they have a file for this application they did a golf gti recently
    Yeah not surprised that the custom tuners would do it as it’s a pretty common upgrade for a GTI. I think you’ll find even a number of the off the shelf tuners like APR and Revo may even support it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Had the car done on Friday, haven't really had a good chance to test it out yet.

Initial impression - car drives exactly the same when you're not putting your foot down and just punting around town which is exactly what I wanted as it is a family car.

But put your foot down (especially from standing start) - and wow. The feeling you get from the pull is easily worth the money.

It is however a bit loud for my liking and will be putting a resonator back in ASAP. Small issue with the x-force downpipe in that the exhaust hanger is slightly too long and is just rubbing against the sub-frame (which is getting sorted out tomorrow). A bit embarrassing at certain RPM with a fairly loud rattle.

FYI The E-tuners tune (well in WA anyway) is essentially just a flash file - it's not done on a dyno. Would like to book it in somewhere in the near future just to get it checked out and confirm what power it is making.

Other than that, happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy35851 View Post
    Had the car done on Friday, haven't really had a good chance to test it out yet.

Initial impression - car drives exactly the same when you're not putting your foot down and just punting around town which is exactly what I wanted as it is a family car.

But put your foot down (especially from standing start) - and wow. The feeling you get from the pull is easily worth the money.

It is however a bit loud for my liking and will be putting a resonator back in ASAP. Small issue with the x-force downpipe in that the exhaust hanger is slightly too long and is just rubbing against the sub-frame (which is getting sorted out tomorrow). A bit embarrassing at certain RPM with a fairly loud rattle.

FYI The E-tuners tune (well in WA anyway) is essentially just a flash file - it's not done on a dyno. Would like to book it in somewhere in the near future just to get it checked out and confirm what power it is making.

Good to hear! Yes it's probably just road tuned/logged and maybe a tweak to the file. They are pretty much good to go with just a flash tune as it's pretty tried and tested.

Do you have the Golf R catback as well? Or just the stock Tiguan rear section?

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Did you go from stage 1 to the IS38 and remap or bog stock to IS38 ?

Yeah Golf rear muffler too.

And went stock straight to this.

Yeah Golf rear muffler too.

And went stock straight to this.
    Do you reckon Xforce DP with stock exhaust would also be really loud

'Really loud' is a bit subjective I guess - everyone hears things differently.

Adding any aftermarket downpipe will increase the noise due to pipe diameter and removing the large stock front resonator.

I would suggest doing the downpipe first if you are going to upgrade (new turbo) at the same time, then you can fit the Golf Muffler later if you want to change the exhaust note.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
    Your best bet is to go a basic Stage 2. Get an IS38 fitted and a matching tune. Leave everything else as is. You'll be amazed at how snappy the car becomes.

You could go for minor intake mods but the stock air box and filter isn't too bad if you remove the snow grate.

If you want to start chasing kW numbers then set a budget.

Bear in mind, once you install a DP you will no longer have a resonator and you will get drone, even with the standard muffler.
    I ended up getting a Magnaflow muffler installed around the midsection of the car to remove the noise. I also have a Golf R muffler, and the drone certainly got worse when that was added.
    I don't believe there are performance gains going with the Golf R muffler. Whilst they are high flowing, they are more for looks and sound.
    If you want quiet, keep the stock muffler and DP.

Being an Etuners customer in Sydney I certainly recommend them. They do more than just tunes and can help plan out all the mods your talking about. I would raise it with Perth offshoot as to what you want and your budget and see what they can offer.
    I'm also looking into Etuners in Syd too. Did you go straight from stock to IS38 + flash as well? Keen to know whether they've worked on our Tiguans with this kind of upgrade (i'm sure they've done dozens of GTI upgrades). Did the Etuners file include a crackle tune? I'm assuming everyone who does an IS38 upgrade, also bundles a TCU tune too.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGoose_X View Post
    I'm also looking into Etuners in Syd too. Did you go straight from stock to IS38 + flash as well? Keen to know whether they've worked on our Tiguans with this kind of upgrade (i'm sure they've done dozens of GTI upgrades). Did the Etuners file include a crackle tune? I'm assuming everyone who does an IS38 upgrade, also bundles a TCU tune too.
    I went straight from stock to Stage 3 with a TTE475 (hybrid IS38, CTS Downpipe, Wagner Intercooler, Racingline induction kit (R600 cold air intake, cotton filter, silicon hose, high flow turbo inlet), Racingline oil cooler kit, Racingline oil catch tank & PCV replacement kit), Autotech High Volume Fuel Pump, Stage 3 ECU and TCU tune.

They've done a handful of Mk2 Tiguans ranging from IS38 + flash to what I've done.
    A crackle tune is available. Message them on FB Messenger and tell them what you're after, they can source most items for you and customise your car how you want it.

I believe there are some on this forum and the fb page that haven't opted for the TCU tune. Personally I recommend a TCU tune, even a Stage 1 flash does wonders for it. Stops it racing up the gears and smooths a lot of the changes out. I also find it kicks back a gear far better than the stock file does when you put your foot down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast