Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)

Users Country Flag

Have just done mine front door went exactly as Tigger says and light comes on every time you open door.

I lengthened the wires and ran them through a plastic tube up to the module Sticky taped tubing to door skin to stop vibrations.

Some of the clips holding the skin came off the skin instead of the door so had to pry them out and fit them to the skin and work the outside up to be in right order to refit them.
    All good

Wish VW thought up a simpler way to make connectors though

Rear right door Same problem with locating plugs but some of the connectors were designed by the devil

Got it apart and connected the wires to the module plug

I bought lights with the connector in the centre of the back and dont have to cut so much of the housing out. Just drilled a 1/4 in hole in top of housing for the wires to exit.

4Pcs Car LED Door Warning Light Welcome Projector for Golf 6 7 Jetta MK5 MK6 Passat B6 B7 CC TIGUAN Scirocco|Decorative Lamp| - AliExpress

Got it all connected and even with 11 volts present the light wont come on Spent 2 hours and gave up

On reading Tiggers instructions I failed to enable the bit at the finish so for those using OBDEleven go to each of the rear doors modules and enable the byte and bit in Door Exit light as on looking it is enabled in the front doors but not the rears.

Redid it today and it works fine Seems it was the Jaycar connector and too much solder was misalignng it in the housing. Also had to cut a bit out of the doorcard housing as it was about 3mm too tight.

Remember in the rears to put longer wires in as you cant fit the light until you have tightened up the bolt in behind it. I made some longer wires and dangled the light below its hole and tightened the bolt then clipped it in afterwards

Connectors from Jaycar fit these if you damage any like I did Pt no HP 1260 $4.95 for 25 VW want $44 for a bit of wire with a socket on each end
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 25-09-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Follow up to the above Got sent the lights to finish the job and was much easier the second time apart from the plug to the electric window switch.

Didnt have to cut the left rear housing and al fitted up and worked first time.

Now looking at getting one for the taildoor but the light housing is slightly different and will need a bit of cutting clips to get it to fit I reckon they are great but wife looked and I thought she had swallowed a lemon LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 06-11-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Now looking at getting one for the taildoor but the light housing is slightly different and will need a bit of cutting clips to get it to fit I reckon they are great but wife looked and I thought she had swallowed a lemon LOL
    It's funny that the tail door already has a light in it but there's only a white light down and a red "reflector" going backwards. As long as you're not putting in the VW logo lights you should be fine

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    It's funny that the tail door already has a light in it but there's only a white light down and a red "reflector" going backwards. As long as you're not putting in the VW logo lights you should be fine
    Ok will do pics here for you
    1st one is connector identical for door lights

Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_140236[1]-jpg

Second one is the boot light pulled apart (2 halves just clipped together)
    Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_140346[1]-jpg

3rd one is a door reflector pushed into boot door ( not quite right on the right side but it did go in after I cleaned the inside of the door hole)
    Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_140549[1]-jpg

4th one is new boot light. woopee i can see whats in there about 1200 lumens against the original 200
    Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_140712[1]-jpg

5th one is old boot light and shows the angled piece on the right which is deeper on the new one and I used a triangular file to file the angle further from under the front to match that one as it wont slide in far enough if you dont do it

Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_142355[1]-jpg

Old one was a problem getting it out as has spring clip on other end and it had to be bent right back to get it out as couldnt get a screwdriver in to lever it inward to lift that end out
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 06-11-2020 at 09:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    4th one is new boot light. woopee i can see whats in there about 1200 lumens against the original 200
    Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201106_140712[1]-jpg
    Is this the one that is removable as a torch?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Is this the one that is removable as a torch?
    No look at the other picture of it Is identical except for being LED

Users Country Flag
    Here is the LED version installed in the boot door Had to file a couple of lips on the inner side of the door skin. Didint have to remove it just put the file i the hole and rubbed it away
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201109_192337[1]-jpg   Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201109_192334[1]-jpg  

Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20201109_192936[1]-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-11-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Just ordered the door LEDs off Ali a few weeks ago and came across this thread looking for instructions. Did any of you guys do this to a R-Line which already has the illuminated sills on front and rear doors? I'd have thought they were already coded on in the door controller modules and I could just splice the wiring for the LED door sills to power the puddle lights.

Also never noticed the trunk light. Will have to order 1 more lens housing, LOL

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Just ordered the door LEDs off Ali a few weeks ago and came across this thread looking for instructions. Did any of you guys do this to a R-Line which already has the illuminated sills on front and rear doors? I'd have thought they were already coded on in the door controller modules and I could just splice the wiring for the LED door sills to power the puddle lights.

Also never noticed the trunk light. Will have to order 1 more lens housing, LOL
    Yes and no you dont .Would be a stupid idea

Would also be a lot more work to run wires out of door and into footwells when you just have to hook them up in the door

I found it paid on the fronts to add about 250mm of wire to make it easier to fit them in the doorcards after doing the wiring and also t run it where it wouldnt get pinched when door card is reattached
    Do it the way Tigger shows . LEDs may not even be in the door controller modules. The boot light is a different to the door lights. THe one in the taildoor is the same as door lights and simply plugs in

Here are pics of the clips holding the door cards on in right photo

When doorcard comes off they usually look like the righthand one and then to put them back need to be opened to be like lefthand one.
    To do so you lever it apart ABOVE the little washer to push the prongs over the thick piece of the centrepole

See how to remove doorcards here Front Door Trim Removal – Volkswagen MK2 Tiguan – AutoInstruct
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20210524_125711[1]-jpg   Installation of Door Warning Lights for Mk2 Tiguan (DIY)-20210524_125634[1]-jpg  

Last edited by Hillbilly; 24-05-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the response. I believe the door sill LEDs are controlled by the door controllers, and wire feeds from the door through the hinge/grommet and into the sills, but not 100% sure.

I'll have a look at the door controller harness and check anyway.

I did this mod back in the day to my MK5 R32, and the front were wired off the controller and rear had to be wired into the door striker ground switch with a constant 12V.
    Yes and no you dont .Would be a stupid idea

Would also be a lot more work to run wires out of door and into footwells when you just have to hook them up in the door

I found it paid on the fronts to add about 250mm of wire to make it easier to fit them in the doorcards after doing the wiring and also t run it where it wouldnt get pinched when door card is reattached
    Do it the way Tigger shows . LEDs may not even be in the door controller modules. The boot light is a different to the door lights. THe one in the taildoor is the same as door lights and simply plugs in

Here are pics of the clips holding the door cards on in right photo

When doorcard comes off they usually look like the righthand one and then to put them back need to be opened to be like lefthand one.
    To do so you lever it apart ABOVE the little washer to push the prongs over the thick piece of the centrepole

See how to remove doorcards here Front Door Trim Removal – Volkswagen MK2 Tiguan – AutoInstruct

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast