Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: INASNT 162TSI Build Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Got the new muffler installed...

First impressions..... A bit of drone at low rpm off load, can hear the dsg farts on upshifts and some pops and crackles. Will see how it goes for a few days and decide what to do with it.. Might need the resonator to be also replaced/

I kept the rear muffler, which is huge.

INASNT 162TSI Build Thread-20180605_122128-1280x622-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post

First impressions..... A bit of drone at low rpm off load, can hear the dsg farts on upshifts and some pops and crackles. Will see how it goes for a few days and decide what to do with it.. Might need the resonator to be also replaced/

Ye gads man.. where are the videos

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grugly View Post
    Ye gads man.. where are the videos

soon soon

Users Country Flag
    Inspiring stuff, well done! (should have been like that from the factory)

Users Country Flag

That is a huge muffler. Did you manage to weigh it? What’s t(e weight of the new muffler?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MY07 Golf V 2.0 TDI DSG
    MY03 Smart Fortwo Cabriolet

I did not weigh the muffler as yet, but I carried a 15kg bag of dog food from the boot earlier in the day and he muffler was far lighter, I would estimate muffler was around 10kg.

I took some videos of cruising at 80km/h to show the drone and 60 to 130 run coming onto the freeway which I will upload tonight as I want to try and get some other videos done later today.

Further thoughts on the rear muffler replacement.

Positives
    Full throttle is loudddddd, gears changes are like a gun shots even in normal mode, a lot louder than my MK6 R with stock exhaust in sport mode, in sport mode can hear more of the pops and crackles which where part of the tune. In manual mode gearing down sounded just like the R doing the same thing.

Negatives
    Lots of vibrations under load at low rpm at a certain throttle. Drony when just driving in traffic, don't like how it reminds me of V6 commodores with drony exhausts. 7th gear 100 km/h slight drone which would annoy me on a long road trip, maybe I am too old now. Had louder cars in the past, including my R33 Skyline which ran a full 3.5inch system straight through system with just 1 rear cannon muffler, people could hear me coming from blocks away, that was louder but was needed when pushing 350kw@wheels and was when I was in my 20's.

The guy I bought it off only had it for 1 week so not much carbon build-up on it as yet, not sure if it will improve over time tho. Considering if changing the stock resonator might make any difference, replace with better quality muffler as the Dea Performance muffler is rather cheap, new muffler and resonator delete... Makes me now appreciate the stock R exhaust which had no drone at low rpm but sounded nice at full throttle.

Makes me now appreciate the stock R exhaust which had no drone at low rpm but sounded nice at full throttle.
    Yes a LOT of R&D goes into stock systems and no doubt takes a while to get just right in terms of noise levels when cruising compared to when on WOT.

It is an art and if going custom set-up you probably need a good exhaust shop that is prepared to tweak it a few times to get it right to how you like it. I think it's almost impossible to get it 100% at first shot.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Can't wait for the vids!

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Yes a LOT of R&D goes into stock systems and no doubt takes a while to get just right in terms of noise levels when cruising compared to when on WOT.

It is an art and if going custom set-up you probably need a good exhaust shop that is prepared to tweak it a few times to get it right to how you like it. I think it's almost impossible to get it 100% at first shot.
    Being a mech engineer I have dabbled in acoustic enclosures and can appreciate the engineering involved in tuning the exhaust note. I got the muffler cheap so was a low cost 'trial' to see what it would sound like.. Some trials fail 😁..

Next trial stock muffler, resonator delete and cts downpipe.

Couple of videos, sound does not seem to have fully come through. Had to record on mobile with 1 hand.

Sport mode coming onto freeway auto kickdown 60-130km/hr. Huge dsg farts could be heard in the car, cannot really hear it on video.

Cruising at 80km/hr in 7th. Theres a constant drone, not clear in video.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast