Thread: Clockspring Replace -Copy Airbag Code?

Users Country Flag

Clockspring Replace -Copy Airbag Code?

Hi
    I am about to replace my busted clock spring on our 2017 Tiguan and have heard that I may need to copy down the old airbag code and apply that to the new unit when installed…there are lots of videos that show the clockspring install and some mention code..some don’t. Can anyone shed light on this please? Also I don’t have a working VCDS connection..I have a generic USB KKL VAG-com 409.1 OBD2 scanner but installed the Rosstech VCDS software but couldn’t get it to recognise the unit…it may be too old..I’ve had it for 6 years. Can anyone share how to get a reasonably priced setup for reading/adding VW codes please if one exists.
    Thanks!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I ordered a proper Ross-Tech dongle and am waiting for it to arrive..does anyone know I will need to copy down and transfer the old airbag code over as mentioned elsewhere?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    The best way to "backup" your current car config is to run a full auto-scan and Controller Channels Map.

This will have all of the settings for all of the modules; When you replace the clock spring, you will need to code the steering wheel module (16). If you are replacing the clockspring as the whole unit, just copy and paste from the auto-scan you saved.

After that is coded, you will need to clear the code on the airbag unit, and most likely need to turn the steering wheel lock to lock before all the warning light turns off.

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour - AutoScan
    Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour - Controller Channels Map
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Thanks very much Mig..appreciate it

Thanks again Mig..I successfully scanned and saved coding..replaced clockspring..re-entered (16) code in VCDS..clear DTCs then also had to do the steering full rotate to clear dash light…LEGEND..thanks for your time and expertise.