Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Have I received Lemon Tiguan 132T or again DSG old problems continue with Volkswagen?

Users Country Flag

I find that the DSG in my 162TSI makes noises, but it doesn't really concern me, the noises are at times where it makes sense that the gearbox is actually doing something (preparing for a gear change).

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Id like to say you should let the dealer work through the issue with the dsg box. As others have said, it is still a mechanical thing. All the other issues are minor and were present when you viewed the vehicle in stock?
    Some years back I took delivery of a new Golf GTi Pirelli. Drove home 8kms and then limped into my garage. Turns out that there was a loose bolt in the turbo. Was told the turbo needed replacement, next day was told the whole engine needed replacing. That is an issue, lol

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Gladbach , franjase and all others Thx for comments and suggestions . As I said for me this is not acceptable that brand new car which cost close to $50000 have this clicking clacking rattling noise from Neutral to 1nd and 2nd gear up and down hesitating jump in gears from slow down to speeding looks and smell for DSG trouble and for me this is rubbish and not acceptable for new car with all this glory's of car of the year is bul...it VW marketing overpaid heap if is this normal for new Tiguan 2. Will see on Monday at Dealer tomorrow how it goes with other 132 Tiguans test drive. Hope I have received just Lemon, if is this problem on all new Tiguans than this is not acceptable for me I am asking refund, I will be back to Audi silky quiet smooth shifting even I really like Size of Tiguan and features and like to keep car , but nice quite quality smooth drive and reliability is for me must! , when I hear those terrible sound noises like I am driving old truck not suppose to be ''car of the year''

Hello, have you got any news from a dealership? I've the same situation with my 132TSI DSG and am not sure should I take my car to dealership or is it normal situation

Hi All from the UK.
    I have recently joined the forum primarily because my research on the defect that has blighted my wife's Mk2 Tiguan R-Line ownership is very similar in nature to the gearbox issue as referred to in this thread.

Strangely and although the UK accounts for more Tiguan sales than Oz and NZ combined my wife appears to be the 'ONLY' UK Tiguan owner with a similarly DSG gearbox problem.

Here is a link to the Tiguan 2 Forum thread relating to the DSG gearbox issues that have blighted my wife's 2017 Tiguan R-Line 190ps 4 Motion.
    4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

Unfortunately both VW and the selling dealer have declined to accept the issues with my wife's Tiguan which has left me with no other alternative but to employ the services of an automotive engineer to investigate and report back on the issue that has affected my wife's Tiguan since delivery.

I'm pleased to say that my investment in this independent engineers report has confirmed that the noise is not acceptable and that it is emanating from either the gearbox or transfer box. I am now progressing my grievance with the motor ombudsman in the UK who will hopefully conclude this debacle to my wife's satisfaction, which ultimately realises a replacement vehicle or refund. Somehow and based on experience to date it will be the latter!

Hi all from the UK

My research to gather information regarding similar issues my wife's Tiguan R-Line is experiencing has brought me to this forum, in particular this thread.

My wife's Tiguan R-Line 190ps DSG 4 Motion is a January 2017 build and invoiced at GBP £44,000.00 Her car has been exhibiting similar issues as associated with this thread. Here is a link to my posts on the UK Mk2 Tiguan Forum - 4 Motion DSG Noise upon Deceleration at low speed! - VW Tiguan MK2 Forums

What surprises me is that the amongst UK owners there appears no recorded issues with the 7 speed DSG other than my wife's although out of the 4 Tiguan MK 2 Tiguans I have test driven 3 of those cars exhibited mechanical noise issues from the transmission area!

VW and the selling dealer maintain that the issues afflicting my wife's Tiguan is a "characteristic" although they will not confirm where the "characteristic" noise is emanating from or what component!

In order to support my findings I have recently invested in obtaining an independent engineers report which does back up my opinion.

Because of the engineers conclusion and VW's unwillingness to resolve my formal grievance I am now seeking legal advice to reject the car as it appears the noise is a terminal one and along with the other related issues could be a big problem in the not too distant future.

First I'll say that as yet nobody has posted any clips of the noises that people are complaining about so it's really har for the rest of us to comment. Given that the OP has driven other cars that are exibiting similar noises I'd tend to agree with the dealerships assessment that this is a characteristic noise of the vehicle and not somethign specific to their car. Also in the dealerships (and VW) defence, unless the vehicle is physically broken it's a bit hard for them to do anything to a vehicle that is "operating within manufacturer tolerances".

In my experience noise levels can be a very personal thing. For one person a small noise can be highly irritating and others they don't even notice it. Because you're specifically focussing on the gearbox/transmission noises all the time it's become an issue for you. I'm not saying it isn't an issue but you may be making an issue (and not enjoying all the good things about your car) by focussing on the one or 2 things that are not perfect in your opinion.

However I agree that an excessively noisy gearbox/transmission could be indicative of shortened life. You would have to ask VW what the acceptable noise level from the transmission would be before they would replace under warranty. If there is excessive noise/vibration from the transmission I would certainly be taking this up with the manufacturer. However if after testing it is within "manufacturer limits" then there's not much more you can do other than to keep an eye on it.

This is similar to oil consumption with some other VW cars. Just because the car is drinking oil doesn't mean an automatic new engine. Limit is 1l/1,000km. If it's less than that then it's deemed "acceptable" even though to you as a consumer it may not be OK.

So if you believe the gearbox is excessively noisy (and it may be the case), then find out from VW what the acceptable noise limit is (get this in writing as a dB/vibration level) and then get the dealer to test it. If you're not happy with the dealer test then get an independent test done. However the first thing you need to do is get VW to specify what is an acceptable/unacceptable level of noise and an acceptable test method.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    My 162 makes noise when it's cold, we sometimes reverse out a driveway which we then have to roll down a steep hill to the corner intersection, it's like when you have backed off the gas to roll down, it makes abit of noise and some rattles and mechanical clunks/knocks, I guess it's just normal as the DSG is just working out what it's doing and it's not yet warmed up, the car is in first too mind you on rolling, basically just flicked from reverse to drive and then just rolling down the hill for say 20 or so meters

No other real noises apart from this one that I can think of

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    My 162 makes noise when it's cold, we sometimes reverse out a driveway which we then have to roll down a steep hill to the corner intersection, it's like when you have backed off the gas to roll down, it makes abit of noise and some rattles and mechanical clunks/knocks, I guess it's just normal as the DSG is just working out what it's doing and it's not yet warmed up, the car is in first too mind you on rolling, basically just flicked from reverse to drive and then just rolling down the hill for say 20 or so meters

No other real noises apart from this one that I can think of
    My car (162TSI) makes the same noise every morning when the car is cold and going down my road (a bit of a hill) and I lift off the gas. I personally thought it was the exhaust, or more specifically the resonator, and once it is warmed up, which only takes a few minutes, the noise has gone.
    Current Ride: 2019 CUPRA Ateca in Energy Blue with Bucket Seats

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_GolfR View Post
    My car (162TSI) makes the same noise every morning when the car is cold and going down my road (a bit of a hill) and I lift off the gas. I personally thought it was the exhaust, or more specifically the resonator, and once it is warmed up, which only takes a few minutes, the noise has gone.
    ahh ok glad mines not the only one, ive not noticed it when its warm, seems only on a cold start

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast