Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 Tiguan Wheels Thread

Users Country Flag

I'm looking at the 132 Highline and just realised it comes with the Tulsa's. Sh*t.
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post
    I'm looking at the 132 Highline and just realised it comes with the Tulsa's. Sh*t.
    Each to their own - having seen them in person I reckon they look pretty smart.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, for the midrange variant I think they look quite nice too. A lot better than the equivalents on some of the competitors vehicles.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Users Country Flag
    Hi All,

Has anyone looked into replacing the Space Saver Wheel and rim with a narrow but full speed rated tyre and rim combo?

I am keen to swap the Space Saver soon after I get my new Tiguan.

Thank you,
    David
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Delewin View Post
    Hi All,

Has anyone looked into replacing the Space Saver Wheel and rim with a narrow but full speed rated tyre and rim combo?

I am keen to swap the Space Saver soon after I get my new Tiguan.

Thank you,
    David
    If it isn't the same size wheel and tyre as the others then it will still be counted as a space saver & therefore speed limited.

eg: On the Octavia, the alloys were 16x6.5 ET50 with a 205/55r16. The spare was a 16x6.5 ET50 with exactly the same tyre. The only difference was a steel whell. It was counted as a temporary spare & speed limited to 80kph. Of course, you could use it at any speed you wanted but if you had an accident doing 110kph then there probably would have been ramifications.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Hi Brad,

I was under the impression that a Space Saver rim has a different rim design and the tyre matches that rim design is also thinner. (to save weight)

Surely one should be able to get a rim and tyre combo that has the same nut spacing; the correct off-set and the same overall diameter without it being specifically a Space Saver.

I would happily purchase an alloy rim as long as it and the tyre fitted in the spare wheel well (allowing for the setting of the boot floor to the higher setting giving about 50 mm additional rim width and still have a flat floor).

Regards,
    David
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    If it isn't the same size wheel and tyre as the others then it will still be counted as a space saver & therefore speed limited.

eg: On the Octavia, the alloys were 16x6.5 ET50 with a 205/55r16. The spare was a 16x6.5 ET50 with exactly the same tyre. The only difference was a steel whell. It was counted as a temporary spare & speed limited to 80kph. Of course, you could use it at any speed you wanted but if you had an accident doing 110kph then there probably would have been ramifications.
    Every model of the Mk2 Octavia had this spare wheel - Pre-Facelift vRS had an 18x8 ET48 with 235/40R18 tyre and Facelift had 18x7.5 ET51 with 225/40R18 tyre. Still had the same spare.
    Mk3 Octavia is the same deal, 16" Steel spare, except the vRS - as it has the 340mm Golf R brakes - which gets a bicycle tyre (T125/70TR1

All Golfs have a bicycle tyre spare, as the rear muffler assembly eats into the spare wheel well.

I can't speak for Tiguan.

Every spare wheel on a Volkswagen that I have seen to date has the 80km/h speed warning; whether the size (or style!) of the spare matches the OEM wheels, or not.
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    Hi All,

I think I will just wait until I take delivery of the Tiguan and then I can take out the tape measure and work out what is or is not practical / possible.

Thanks for the advice.
    David

Users Country Flag
    I just remembered. The 206 TSI Passat wagon has a full size spare tyre with alloy rim.

Users Country Flag

Sounds like a money spinner if anyone works out what wheel / tyre combination is needed. I'll put my order in now

Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast