Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 Tiguan tyres thread

Gen 2 Tiguan tyres thread

Hi all, just looking to start a thread on tyre types for the Gen 2 Tiguan as there doesn’t seem to be one already.

I’ve had to replace a tyre (front left) quite urgently, and in my haste I didn’t make sure it was identical to stock. I was a bit over-enthused that I found a place, conveniently located, with one in stock that matched the main specs - 255/40/R20. I clearly explained to the shop (Bob Jane T-Marts) that I was after a replacement tyre for the new Tiguan R Line. I hadn’t realised the secondary specs differed.

I’m wondering if someone can help me work out if there’s an issue with the replacement tyre differing from stock. I hadn’t realised it was different to stock until my tyre pressure light went off unexpectedly, a few days after the purchase.

These appear to be the stock tyres for my R Line tig - 255/40/R20 101V XL:

This is the replacement tyre I got - 255/40/ZR20 101Y XL MO

Im not an expert but the sizing is identical on both and the only thing different is the MO tyre is designed for the Mercedes brand but I am not sure if there is really a difference.

Try to get the tyre pressures the same on cold tyres as the sensor detects changes to the spin of the wheel and not direct pressure.. I had to change one recently due to a nail and found the light went off after a week after replacement and a long trip but pressures were all fine so just reset the sensor.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The Mercedes tyre has a higher speed rating. V = 240km/hr and Y = 300 km/hr.

There’s likely a small difference in the internal construction of the tyre and possibly the rubber compound that’s being used to meet the OE manufacturers spec (Merc vs. VW). The VW spec tyre also looks to have some internal “sealant” also (which clearly didn’t work in your case).

I’ve had the tyre sensors go off and you think the worst. But just check your pressures and if they are all good hit the reset and drive on. It’s possible that pressures weren’t set exactly the same as the old tyre which has been picked up by the system when you’ve gone over a bump and/or loaded up around a corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    The Mercedes tyre has a higher speed rating. V = 240km/hr and Y = 300 km/hr.

There’s likely a small difference in the internal construction of the tyre and possibly the rubber compound that’s being used to meet the OE manufacturers spec (Merc vs. VW). The VW spec tyre also looks to have some internal “sealant” also (which clearly didn’t work in your case).

I’ve had the tyre sensors go off and you think the worst. But just check your pressures and if they are all good hit the reset and drive on. It’s possible that pressures weren’t set exactly the same as the old tyre which has been picked up by the system when you’ve gone over a bump and/or loaded up around a corner.
    Thanks both. Great help tigger. Would you in my shoes look to get a stock tyre re-fitted? That’s what I’m planning to do. I don’t like the idea of a different tyre with different properties on one wheel, though the differences are likely slight. I expect VW would say the same.

Yep the sealant didn’t help me- went a little too spiritedly around a roundabout, and clipped the curb on way out. Hole in the shoulder of the tyre for my troubles. So couldn’t be repaired. Quite painful being that there were only 300km of wear on the tyre.

After the beeping alert, I did check the tyre pressures and it was 240 psi. Compared to 280 psi on the other 3 tyres. Have moved them all to 260 and reset all the pressures, now waiting to see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dptiggie View Post
    Thanks both. Great help tigger. Would you in my shoes look to get a stock tyre re-fitted? That’s what I’m planning to do. I don’t like the idea of a different tyre with different properties on one wheel, though the differences are likely slight. I expect VW would say the same.

Yep the sealant didn’t help me- went a little too spiritedly around a roundabout, and clipped the curb on way out. Hole in the shoulder of the tyre for my troubles. So couldn’t be repaired. Quite painful being that there were only 300km of wear on the tyre.

After the beeping alert, I did check the tyre pressures and it was 240 psi. Compared to 280 psi on the other 3 tyres. Have moved them all to 260 and reset all the pressures, now waiting to see how that goes.
    To be completely honest I really wouldn't worry. There's only a very, very slight difference between the 2 tyres. Physically they're the same size and most likely came out of the exact same mold. I think you'd be struggling to notice any difference at normal road speeds. You'd have to be pushing to the limits on a track and then you may be able to notice a subtle difference.

And that pressure difference will make the pressure sensors go off.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

I would be looking to get the original tyre fitted.

These are two different tyres, being the Sport Contact 5, while the MO is a Sport Contact 5p.
    You can see obvious differences in the tread pattern, with more siping and smaller tread blocks on the VW tyre

They are both optimised for different vehicles, the MO tyre is designed and manufactured for the Mercedes, all the driver assistance systems and braking systems are tuned to the properties of that tyre.

The VW tyre has Contiseal inside, which will make a difference in rotating weight which could affect tyre rotation and give false warnings on the TPMS if a tyre without is fitted on the same axle as one with.

There are two Origanal spec tyres on the market, the Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV, and a Pirelli option (not sure of model as mine came with Conti).

Users Country Flag
    I am now at the stage where i am needing soon all 4 of the 20" tyres replaced. Just had the 30,000 service and they said they are almost down to the marker.

Not really sure what the options are? The Conti's or the Pirelli's? Is one better than the other? i cant say that I've not been happy with the Conti's i think they have been a great sticky tyre.

Are there any other decent tyres worth considering for the same sorta cash? like Dunlops or Michelin sports (i think they are dearer but may be able to get one of those buy 3 get 1 for free sometimes etc.. so you end up at the same money anyway)

Bridgestone RE003, they also come in the 255/40/20 size too, very good capable tyres.
    Also, everyone once in a while they do the buy 3, get the 4th free!

I've used them on the track before and managed a modest time of 1m13s in a R33 GTS-t Skyline.
    Daily 2018 Tiguan MK2 Sportline (Drag & Drop Tune, 12.9s @ 108mph)
    Weekend/Track 1996 Skyline R33 GTS-t Stage 99 (Built Motor, GTX3576 Gen 2, 407rwkW) [Build Thread]

www.nhbautomotive.com.au

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I am now at the stage where i am needing soon all 4 of the 20" tyres replaced. Just had the 30,000 service and they said they are almost down to the marker.

Not really sure what the options are? The Conti's or the Pirelli's? Is one better than the other? i cant say that I've not been happy with the Conti's i think they have been a great sticky tyre.

Are there any other decent tyres worth considering for the same sorta cash? like Dunlops or Michelin sports (i think they are dearer but may be able to get one of those buy 3 get 1 for free sometimes etc.. so you end up at the same money anyway)
    I enquied at Costco and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 255/40 R20 is $480 for a tyre.

Users Country Flag

I have the Highline which takes 235/55 R18 tyres. I need two new tyres.

I'm so confused when ringing tyre shops.

One of them said I should get all four even though I only need two.

Then the brands of tyres - Michelin, Pirelli, Falkin.

Falkin have buy 4, pay for 3 ($720) now which seems the best deal. is it?

Help me!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast