Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 2 Tiguan tyres thread

If you drive to the road conditions the tyres are safe until the tyre wear markers are touched.
    If you like to be a bit more enthusiastic than most others, replace them when they’re about 1mm from the wear markers.
    They’ll likely wear on the outside edges first- on the front tyres, so replace once they reach here- at the latest.

The tyres ability to dispel water goes down with the tread depth. So even if you have "legal" tread in the middle if your corners are scrubbed out it still doesn't help to allow the water to move out of the tyre. Long story short if your corners are scrubbed out then you need to replace them and get a better alignment done. Ideally you should have even wear right across the face of the tyre.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by drivesafe View Post
    I have now clocked up 60,000kms and while it is recommended to replace tyres
    Wow, if I can get that much out of mine I'll be very happy.

Do you do a lot of freeway/country driving?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Hi and thanks Simonr23 and tigger73, it’s more of what is considered safe rather than what is legal, that I am trying to ascertain.

I have done quite a bit of reading elsewhere and it seems that it is quite acceptable to allow tyres to wear down to the Tyre Wear Indicator but as Simonr23 suggested, I will most likely replace them once it gets down to around the 1mm mark.

I have gone over all four tyres and they seem to be wearing quite evenly with between 2.5 to 3mm of tread above the Tyre Wear Indicator and it looks like I have at least another 10k+ of SAFE usage left in them.

As this is obviously is not an area I know much about, thanks again for the replies and I feel somewhat more comfortable with what I have.

Users Country Flag
    Read this It covers most things about why you shouldnt wait till last tiny mm

Are Worn Out Tires Dangerous? What to Know - Fix Auto USA

Get a summer downpour at Surfers and have to stop in a hurry and you will find out why they should be changed. as you blissfully aquaplane into the car in front of you
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Do you do a lot of freeway/country driving?
    Hi iDiesel, mostly around town and some freeway driving.

I just have not had the time to do any country driving of late.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Hillbilly and I’m not that concerned with aquaplaning as that is something that can happen with new tyres.

As Tigger73 put it, if my tyres had uneven wear and had low tread on the edges, then the tyres would already have been replaced.

But my tyres have very even wear and after looking up quite a few tyre data sites, the same thing keeps coming up and that is the tyres are considered safe down to the Tyre Wear Indicator.

I will probably replace them when they get down to about 1mm above that point.

This will still see them out to at least 70,000kms, and I’m impressed.

But then again, just about everything about this Tig has been impressive, especially when compared with my last vehicle.

Users Country Flag
    Looking at these Yokohama Advan A052 tyres that are $600 per pop at RRP Tyres for Tiguan, 2019, 5N R-Line 2.0 Tdi Allspace 4Motion for Sale | www.bobjane.com.au Would the performance be that much better than the Verdes or Contact 5's? Are you sacrificing wet grip?
    Tiguan Allspace 162TSI Highline MY19, R-Line, Sound & Vision Package, Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Interesting the Pirelli Verdes are “price on request” when all the other tyres have a price listed.
    Is that because they are more “negotiable” tyres for pricing, or simply because they are a “special order” at Bobs?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

I wouldn't be going with the Yokohamas. If you want to spend $ on performance tyres get the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. It's pretty widely agreed to be the best performance tyre on the market at the moment. It also has decent wear (for a performance tyre) making the $/km a lot better than some of the other options which will wear out in 20,000km (Bridgestones, Continentals, etc).

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast