Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox in emergency mode Tiguan 2017

I put the tune back on the car today. Fingers crossed all ok.

I noticed it wasn’t changing early in manual mode like it was doing before. Maybe the gearbox was starting to fail back then and that’s why it was doing that.

I'm joining the 'Gearbox in Emergency Mode' club

My 2018 Tiguan 162 TSI, started displaying the 'Gearbox in Emergency Mode' message recently....just on warranty expiry, of course.

Also, most of this year an occasional zzzzzt, zzzzzt from the gearbox, when changing up between 2nd and 3rd.

My local VW dealer came up with NFF when booked in for checking today and sent me home, whereupon I had to limp 40 minutes home with 'The Message' on display and the car jumping between 2nd, 4th and 6th. No other gears. The OBD equipment didn't pick up any of the previous occasions the message had popped up.

The service tech asked if I had a photo of the error message. Yeah, right, at 110 kmh on the Calder Freeway. The person only had to Google the error :/

Questions for the Group from experience:
    - Mechatronics or transmission adjustment/replacement?
    - Safe to drive? I have to drive to Melbourne and back on Thurs.
    - Transmission noise significance? Zzzzzt, zzzzzt is the best I can do.

TIA,

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve E; 21-12-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    My 2018 Tiguan 162 TSI, started displaying the 'Gearbox in Emergency Mode' message recently....just on warranty expiry, of course.

Also, most of this year an occasional zzzzzt, zzzzzt from the gearbox, when changing up between 2nd and 3rd.

My local VW dealer came up with NFF when booked in for checking today and sent me home, whereupon I had to limp 40 minutes home with 'The Message' on display and the car jumping between 2nd, 4th and 6th. No other gears. The OBD equipment didn't pick up any of the previous occasions the message had popped up.

The service tech asked if I had a photo of the error message. Yeah, right, at 110 kmh on the Calder Freeway. The person only had to Google the error :/

Questions for the Group from experience:
    - Mechatronics or transmission adjustment/replacement?
    - Safe to drive? I have to drive to Melbourne and back on Thurs.
    - Transmission noise significance? Zzzzzt, zzzzzt is the best I can do.

TIA,

Steve.
    There is no other option than to replace the mechatronics unit. When it happened to me I was told it is unsafe to drive and had to leave it at the dealer until they replaced it. Luckily mine was fully covered under good will including a hire car.

The zzzzt noise is also an issue I experienced but mainly btw 1st and 2nd gear. My car is currently at the dealer getting the 2nd gear synchro replaced it’s been there for 2 weeks already sigh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Drazman2000.

Yep, no surprise that the dealer confirmed today that a new mechatronics unit is required. And, of course, the part has to be ordered from Germany. With Christmas etc, will be 6 - 8 weeks. You'd reckon VWA would keep a few on hand given the apparent frequency of failure of these.

Could be a few weeks with the Polo loan car :/

You are probably right in that the zzzzt is between 1st and 2nd. It's very quick. It was the precursor to my last Tiguan having the DSG replaced under warranty. And the same problem with my earlier Audi A4 and a replacement box on that.

You have to wonder why we believe in a brand/product, but my feeling was....They must have ironed out the DSG problems by now.

I am yet to be convinced...and waiting to hear if my issue is covered under good will at 3 months out of warranty.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve had the same issue with my 2018 Tiguan 162tsi!

I have the same issue with my18 tiguan
    Called liverpool vw they told me it will be $190 diagnostic fee(warranty expired). Any advice?
    Last edited by csplayer; 03-02-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by csplayer View Post
    I have the same issue with my18 tiguan
    Called liverpool vw they told me it will be $190 diagnostic fee. Any advice?
    Do it, then pending their findings see if VW will do it under good will if out of warranty. If they dont then go to ACCC for advice. With the recent developments with consumer rights for Mazda all car makers selling in Australia have been put on notice for misleading consumers on their rights!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! My neighbour works at nrma road side assistance and he dis the scan and came out as clutch position sensor circuit.I used obdeleven to change colour dials and road signs should i put it back to stock before?
    Last edited by csplayer; 03-02-2022 at 01:40 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by csplayer View Post
    Thanks for the info! My neighbour works at nrma road side assistance and he dis the scan and came out as clutch position sensor circuit.I used obdeleven to change colour dials and road signs should i put it back to stock before?
    Change everything back to stock if you can. Makes your case stronger!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

Usually if a fault is found they refund the charge especially if its a warranty job.

Sounds like its a mechatronic failure and should be fixed under goodwill as is a well known problem
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast