Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox in emergency mode Tiguan 2017

Gearbox in emergency mode Tiguan 2017

After 3.5 years of ownership of my 2017 mk2 Tiguan 162tsi Rline and about 10k km per year on the clock I got a “gearbox in emergency mode safe to drive on” whilst driving home from 100km trip. This error caused the gear box to skip odd numbered gears so could only drive home on even number gears which was horrible!
    Got home let the car rest overnight and next day no errors and car drove normally around the city for the next 3 weeks. Went on a long drive again and same error appeared on the way home however this time it skipped odd number gears but wouldn’t shift past gear 4 so was even worse driving home hopefully no engine damage!

Finally got it checked out at VW and they said they need to replace the mechatronics unit as that is what the fault is suggesting. Have to leave the car at dealership for 4 weeks whilst they await the part from Germany as they said it’s unsafe to drive.

Luckily for me VW Australia are covering the parts, labour and loan car whilst it gets repaired through goodwill as the car is out of warranty although I don’t expect this type of failure after 3.5 years of minimal driving. I know VW has issues with this in older models but wasn’t expecting it in this car. I always had a scrapping sound when first car on and changing from reverse to drive and taking off which I mentioned to the dealer ever service but they said it was “nothing” not sure if that was a precursor to the unit failing...

Has anyone else had this issue and is there anything else to watch out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi
    Yep same here situation. Tiguan 2017 ( built 2016) 132 tsi .

Now Half year since Man. warranty expire , however problem with car was from first day car received . noted to Dealer ad VW ,but they always try to convince me is normal car under ''Manufacture specification Tolerance '' b***it But DSG was working like .sh...t clunking ,juddering with all sort noises going worse ad worse every day, I was pulling my hear and losing nerves .
    I opened thread under this forum since car purchased back in 2017 . In last 3 years owning car, I have spend more time at various Sydney Service places complaining on services. 4 x time repair on Bevel box leak , last time they installed brand new bevel box, 3 days back home leak again. On end by independent garage diagnosed as actually Transmission Differential output shaft bearing seal leak not bevel box.
    Till today VW never fixed leak or DSG issue never fixed.
    They was mocking us around al the way till our 3y.M. warranty expired

This is now exactly what happen to me, 3x time in last 2months my car went in emergency gear box mode. faults lodged as under DSG as K01 Clutch upper limit exceed. and Performance Control module Performance DTC .

Car since is going very bad juddering, jumping like horse forward and backward at low speed on traffic stop resume reverse . Going up the Hill if stop and resume car want roll back and juddering heavy.

Yesterday I left car at VW dealer for Diagnose , they waiting VW head office to approve DSG repair as Good Will ,Even is this to tem logged as ongoing old unresolved issue .To everyone so obvious DSG was always Faulty , but for VW for some reason try to avoid fixing and replacing doggy factory transmission to me
    When other ppl see what my DSG is in condition , eyes roll all over and couldn't believe what VW avoiding to fix ,even is so obvious that DSG has some big internal fault .
    I am now waiting if VW will fix this , if not I will need go to NSW Tribunal Court as is very dangers to drive in this condition and not acceptable under Consumer Right what they done to me in last 3.5 year owning new car with this Factory doggy transmission.
    Good thing I have all documented and recorded ,including videos .
    Looks like Is something very bad with first generating Tiguan AD1 DQ500 from 2016 - 2017 built , as so many of this had some DSG issue since new, and after failed with similar Gear Box emergence mode problems as soon 3Y. M. Warranty expire

Is this made on purpose or not , I am not sure any more but very disappointed. never had problem with any of my many owned VW Audi cars in last 20 years as with this Tiguan .

Unfortunately there appears to have been a period/batch of bad DQ500 transmission /mechatronics units around 2017. If you're getting only odd or even gears it means that you're stuck on one side of the twin clutch gearbox and unable to swap to the second clutch.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I had the same issue. VW agreed to cover the parts but refused to cover labour.

2017 Tiguan 162TSI Highline/R-Line
    2017 Audi S3

Thanks all for your comments. So it is just the mechatronics unit that gets replaced... does anything happen to the DQ500?

Users Country Flag
    Good luck. Ours went in October 16 and we got it back a week ago!
    2017 VW Tiguan 140TDI Highline
    2012 VW Touareg V6 TDI
    1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SE

Users Country Flag
    delay in getting parts because of Covid?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    delay in getting parts because of Covid?
    Too soon Buddy, too soon.

Users Country Flag
    Wow I'm getting my 2017 VW Tiguans TCU tuned at Eurotune next month...I haven't had any transmission issues however I am very concerned now...

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I had a stage 1 tune from super chips on it. But not sure if that contributed to the issue. But I flashed it back to stock before taking it in and no issues with them finding out

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast