Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Gearbox in emergency mode Tiguan 2017

Users Country Flag

How do warranty claims work for a VW dealership? I've wondered at times if the dealership is on the hook for all or part of a warranty claim... There may be an incentive to save money rather than fix the problem?..

Sounds like it's a common, widespread fault with the gearbox... I remember our 2008 Passats (R36 and 125TDI) were recalled years ago for a gearbox issue, I believe it may have been mechatronics also.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nermal View Post
    How do warranty claims work for a VW dealership? I've wondered at times if the dealership is on the hook for all or part of a warranty claim... There may be an incentive to save money rather than fix the problem?..
    I’d love to know. Always assumed each dealership was a franchise and any warranty repair cost would be passed on to VW Australia. So where is the incentive to fob me off with fake software update solutions instead of replacing the actual faulty part? The only thing I can think of is the fact I have a loan car while waiting for the part and the dealer is wearing that cost.

If you break down, roadside assist will only tow you to the nearest VW shop so it’s not like they get to choose which cars to fix.

Anyone have advice on what steps to take when a dealer does not complete a warranty repair?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickfj View Post
    I’d love to know. Always assumed each dealership was a franchise and any warranty repair cost would be passed on to VW Australia. So where is the incentive to fob me off with fake software update solutions instead of replacing the actual faulty part? The only thing I can think of is the fact I have a loan car while waiting for the part and the dealer is wearing that cost.

If you break down, roadside assist will only tow you to the nearest VW shop so it’s not like they get to choose which cars to fix.

Anyone have advice on what steps to take when a dealer does not complete a warranty repair?
    There are endless posts about this Get onto VW Australia head Office. They have staff who look after this sort of thing
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    There are endless posts about this Get onto VW Australia head Office. They have staff who look after this sort of thing

Thanks for the info Hillbilly - Someone from VW Australia has finally called me. They had no idea I have already made a formal complaint and I had to quote all the interaction numbers back at him. They are collating and evaluating what has gone down.

In the meantime - can anyone explain to me how a software update can fix a faulty Mechatronic Control Unit when up until now every single person in this thread who has experienced the issue has had the faulty component physically replaced?

They are pulling a swifty here right? Or am I being paranoid?

I would love to hear the thoughts of anyone more mechanically minded than me…

Users Country Flag
    By no means am I backing the dealer; they have done a crap job so far with this warranty job.

Here's my two cents on how a software update might address an issue with the Mechatronic, even if it seems like the unit itself is faulty.

The Mechatronic relies on a multitude of sensor inputs like temperature, clutch position, speed, and torque to determine how to control the vehicle's transmission. It's a complex and dynamic system, and sometimes, an error or 'fault' isn't as simple as a physical component being defective - it might be a problem with how the system interprets or responds to the information it's receiving.

For example, if a sensor reports an unusually high temperature or a clutch slip (Just two examples), the TCU might interpret this as a critical fault and put the car into 'limp home mode' as a safety measure. However, if this reaction is based on a brief, non-recurring event (like a momentary spike in temperature), it might be an overreaction. The TCU might not log this 'fault' because it doesn't see it as a persistent issue.

A software update could help refine how the TCU interprets sensor data or calibration data in such cases. For instance, the update could introduce a delay or tolerance where the TCU waits to see if the unusual sensor reading persists for a certain duration before it flags a critical fault or logs an issue. By doing so, the system could differentiate between actual, persistent faults and brief anomalies, reducing false positives.

Or the update could introduce better logging; the dealer hopes they have better data to go on the next time it happens.

So, in short, while it does seem like they are "pulling a swifty" just delaying you as they don't have the parts, it's quite possible that the software update could resolve the issue without needing to replace the component physically.

It's always worth getting a second opinion, even if it's from another dealer.

Keep us posted on how it goes! and good luck!
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Great information MIG - thanks for your input. I just don’t have the technical knowledge of how my car works at this level but I do know when I smell a rat.

I think my best bet given how this is unfolding is to request a copy of the release notes or whatever documentation comes with the update from VW Australia to assure me it is genuine.

In fact they should be crowing from the rooftops that all along it was just a matter of tweaking the software and there is in fact nothing wrong with the control units.

I would likely be one of the first lucky Tiguan owners to not require a lengthy and expensive procedure to fix the issue and then be eternally grateful to the amazing local dealership.

Or…. I’m not driving that car off the lot until they replace the part.

The plot thickens…

Users Country Flag
    I think my best bet given how this is unfolding is to request a copy of the release notes or whatever documentation comes with the update from VW Australia to assure me it is genuine.
    Good idea, if they have access to a change log or TPI (Technical Product Information) it would have the reported problem and what version of the software it was fixed in.

There has to be some evidence that VW Germany knows of the issue and has a fix, be that software or a revised part.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    30 sec of typing shows this might answer your queries

Service Campaigns and Recalls | Volkswagen Australia
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Watercooled is a real gem

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    30 sec of typing shows this might answer your queries

Service Campaigns and Recalls | Volkswagen Australia

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that VW Australia published such a way.

Looks like there is no current Campaign or Recall active for my vehicle…

This forum is such a valuable resource and I thank all the individuals who take part in the community. I’m not sure what the other car brand communities are like but Watercooled is a real gem.

Users Country Flag

I would likely be one of the first lucky Tiguan owners to not require a lengthy and expensive procedure to fix the issue and then be eternally grateful to the amazing local dealership.

Or…. I’m not driving that car off the lot until they replace the part.

The plot thickens…
    Can you share an update on the software fix?
    Did it resolve the issue?
    Our MY19 Allspace R-line with 70k kms has been throwing up the error.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314