Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox in emergency mode Tiguan 2017

Just wanted to update everyone. Got my car back the other day all fixed. Was super fast which I was surprised about. So far all good will need to test it out for a longer drive but quite happy with the VW service and experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Hi all

I've literally just had this exact thing happen to my Jan 2018 built Tiguan 132 (SWB). Longer drive and off it goes into emergency mode. Short (under 20mins) drives and no issues at all. My warranty expired in Jan 2021 (of course) but it's only done 29,800kms so I'm expecting repair to be covered under Australian Consumer Law that a major gearbox fault would not be reasonably expected after less than 30,000kms. Assuming it'll be mechatronic too, but need to wait til after Easter to get car in (earliest I could get a booking). Good thing I'm not doing any long drives in next week or so...

Thanks for posting, glad to hear VW have covered other people with same issue (and that other people have same issue)

Users Country Flag
    Further to my last, VW have confirmed vehicle needs new mechatronic unit and have agreed to cover loan vehicle and all repair costs. Part has to come ex Germany so could take a while. I doff my hat to VW for coming to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldey View Post
    Further to my last, VW have confirmed vehicle needs new mechatronic unit and have agreed to cover loan vehicle and all repair costs. Part has to come ex Germany so could take a while. I doff my hat to VW for coming to the party.
    Good news. And yes they should still cover it regardless but nice that you're not majorly inconvenienced with the loan car too

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by drazman2000 View Post
    Just wanted to update everyone. Got my car back the other day all fixed. Was super fast which I was surprised about. So far all good will need to test it out for a longer drive but quite happy with the VW service and experience!

Any issues since the replacement?

I've just been hit with the same problem My Tiguan Adventure was made in 2017 (MY18 model) and as I'm driving home on the freeway today, I get the Gearbox in emergency mode warning light come on and my Tiguan is skipping all the odd gears. Was a terrible ride home - particularly on hills.
    @ Drazman2000 - can I ask which dealership you went to? I'm going to be calling VW Epping in the morning to complain and hopefully get it fixed. My car is obviously out of warranty but I'll be complaining if they don't agree to fix it under goodwill.

Got mine replaced at waverly VW

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by drazman2000 View Post
    Got mine replaced at waverly VW

Thanks! I really hope I don’t have any issues convincing VW Epping - otherwise it’s a long way to Waverly.

Users Country Flag
    So I took my car to the VW service centre and they have confirmed that the mechatronics unit needs to be replaced. My case is currently under review with VW Aust to see if they apply goodwill to the repair costs as my vehicle is out of warranty. It's been two days and no response yet. The wait is killing me...also no loan car until VW approves (or not) the goodwill repair.

Users Country Flag
    So VW has approved the cost of the replacement part (mechatronic unit) and 50% of the labour repair costs. I questioned why it wasn't 100% but got nowhere (possibly due to my last service being a few months late). The service centre assures me it should be no more than $300 and I didn't have the energy to argue any further as I just want my car fixed. They did at least offer a loan vehicle for the entire time my car is at the service centre.
    Now the long wait to get the part from Germany...with less planes allowed to come to Australia, it could take a while...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TiggyDriver View Post
    So VW has approved the cost of the replacement part (mechatronic unit) and 50% of the labour repair costs. I questioned why it wasn't 100% but got nowhere (possibly due to my last service being a few months late). The service centre assures me it should be no more than $300 and I didn't have the energy to argue any further as I just want my car fixed. They did at least offer a loan vehicle for the entire time my car is at the service centre.
    Now the long wait to get the part from Germany...with less planes allowed to come to Australia, it could take a while...
    That's good news they are paying for most of the costs. Hopefully this issue is fixed in later models as there seems to be a few people that have had this same problem?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast