Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fridge freezer using boot 12V socket

Fridge freezer using boot 12V socket

I’ve been contemplating purchasing one of those portable fridge freezers (40-65L size) and running it off the boot 12V socket.

Do you think it’ll be fine, for say shopping trips and weekends away? I couldn’t find much info about the load that the boot 12V could handle.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kacak View Post
    I’ve been contemplating purchasing one of those portable fridge freezers (40-65L size) and running it off the boot 12V socket.

Do you think it’ll be fine, for say shopping trips and weekends away? I couldn’t find much info about the load that the boot 12V could handle.
    Nope draws too much current for the tiny wee strings of wires You want one of these for it to work properly

DOMETIC COOLPOWER RAPS12R-U2 - Fridge power kit

Been there fried the wiring
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

This is an industry I’ve had nearly 10 years experience in.

Assuming the socket in the Tiguan will be either 120w, or 180w max current (I haven’t checked mine)

A good fridge (Engel, Waeco) around 50L will use about 50-60w when the compressor is running (cooling the fridge)

There Are a few moments of really high current- as the compressor kicks in, but a small/medium fridge won’t overload the car’s circuit. The ~8a fuse in the ‘cigarette’ plug of the fridge- or the 8-10a blade fuse on the fridge, Will also attest to the max current draw.

Here’s an Engel 57l fridge basic specs. Max draw 4.2a- so I was overly pessimistic! Been out of the industry for nearly 2 years- getting rusty.

https://www.engelaustralia.com.au/engel/products/chest-fridge-and-freezers/engel-57-litre-combi-portable-fridge-and-freezer/

Edit- hmm it isn’t creating an auto link?

Users Country Flag
    Most sockets in the rear are only good for things you would stick in the ciggy lighter. I had a Cruiser and fried the wiring in a purpose built off road vehicle and my Passat was a similar gauge of wire and so I would be rather reluctant to do that.

Has been a lot of discussion on Caravan forums about the evils of doing so because the light wiring doesnt run the fridge very well.
    I bow to your knowledge but can only attest to my practical experience where the Raps 12 ran it for 18 months continuous use in the Cruiser. The wiring in it is considerably heavier than the cars wiring

Users Country Flag
    I’ve been using an Iron Man fridge/ freezer in my Tig. for 3 years with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hole46 View Post
    I’ve been using an Iron Man fridge/ freezer in my Tig. for 3 years with no problems.

How big Tigs may have heavier wiring but as I havent checked I dont really know but would certainly check if I was going to

Quote Originally Posted by Hole46 View Post

That's great - can you provide some details into the model you've been using, so I can get an idea of load?

Also how often/long do you tend to run it in your Tiguan off the boot 12V socket?

Users Country Flag
    I have been using a Dometic Waeco CFX 40W in both my Superb and Passat over the past 3yrs without issue. We go on 2 week road trips twice a year (well maybe not this year) and have never had an issue...

Quick note, my Superb had constant power to the 12v socket in the boot, however the Passat did not (until I moved the fuse) and now it does...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    I’ve run my CFX-50 in my Tig on road trips from Sydney-Brisbane and back as well as out to Dubbo and camping trips up and down the coast with no issues.

I had the RAPS wiring in my previous Kluger and took that out but haven’t put it in the Tig yet.
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Users Country Flag

I run a 60L in my Passat Alltrack on trips. Take it out and run it off panels and a power pack when camping, but underway - not an issue in 3 years.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast