Thread: Forward Facing Camera

Users Country Flag

Forward Facing Camera

Hi everyone,

Brand new to VWWatercooled — Ive been reading a little bit and seems like there is a wealth of knowledge..! Can’t wait to get involved in the community.

I’m looking at getting the new Tiguan, absolutely love the “new” look and now able to afford one, eventually!!

Ive been doing my research and I can see that different countries have different features available. Some very limited. Living in South Africa I feel we are one of the limited places.

Got my OBDeleven on order too and hoping when I get the Tiguan I’ll be able to unlock some features — one in particular I want to unlock/code is the Lane Assist and TJA.

When I asked the sales guy whether the Tiguans in SA have the forward facing camera, I was told it doesn’t! But then walking through a parking lot this evening I saw a Tiguan and thought I’d take a look. Now I know this is a camera, and I know it’s facing forward. But is this the multi function camera responsible for Lane assist, TJA, HBA and the like?

Thanks in advance everyone, like I say, can’t wait to get involved and learn from all the knowledgable folk here Forward Facing Camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 Tiguan - R line - White

Users Country Flag
    You realize we are in Australia and ours are obviously different to yours

Mine has a camera in the binnacle , one in passengers side of rear view mirror and one in centre of lower grill

They also have the radar unit behind the big grille badge

Post a picture from a bit further back of the windscreen

What model are you getting because different models have different things enabled

Eg An R line here has lane assist, some have TJA as part of ACC etc etc
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    That looks like a low spec model.
    The camera is just for HBA (High Beam Assist).

The correct camera will be located higher up on the windscreen (in a triangle cut out).
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You realize we are in Australia and ours are obviously different to yours

Mine has a camera in the binnacle , one in passengers side of rear view mirror and one in centre of lower grill

They also have the radar unit behind the big grille badge

Post a picture from a bit further back of the windscreen

What model are you getting because different models have different things enabled

Eg An R line here has lane assist, some have TJA as part of ACC etc etc

Hi Hillbilly,

I do realise that this is a Australian forum. But like I said, been doing a bit of reading around and it seem this is a VERY thorough forum and people here know what they are talking about. And if not, are willing to help where they can.

I also see there are a few South Africans on this forum, so the help here must be top class!!

I realise different cars in different countries have different spec, which is why I’m here. The salesman says they don’t do those features I mentioned. But then walking past I saw this camera — from what I have seen online, the multifunction camera seemed a bit beefier, more advanced! This did look a little small and insignificant.

What I was hoping is that the Tiguans in SA may very well have the camera installed but just not programmed to be functional. I also understand this is also a waste of money for the manufacturer, but just covering all my bases before I commit.

I’m looking at getting, what they call the Highline in SA with the R-Line package. We only get the 2.0 TDi/TSi here. So that’s my choice, 2.0 TDi Highline R-Line.

I’m going to look at one later and will try get some pics.

— — — Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk — — —

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    That looks like a low spec model.
    The camera is just for HBA (High Beam Assist).

The correct camera will be located higher up on the windscreen (in a triangle cut out).

Hi ope126,

Thanks for the message. As I said above, I thought it looked a little small. But was just hoping I guess. That Tiguan I saw may have been an older model.

Am I correct in saying that the multifunction camera sits higher up, looking more at a downward angle and the triangle cut out you are referring to is almost a “lighter colour plastic” look to it?

Just an update...

It seems that all the Tiguans in SA don't and won't have the multifunction camera installed..
    Apparently even if the dealership put the order in from the factory in Germany, it will be denied..

Only the Touareg has the multifunction camera and the DLA and all the features...

Anyway, thanks for the info Hillbilly and ope126...

Users Country Flag
    finch6, I just jumped on the Volkswagen South Africa website; Tiguan | Volkswagen South Africa

If you click on "Show Standard Equipment" it displays all of the features (or lack there of) of the Highline Tiguan you are talking about...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Looking at Ope's link it seems extras are bloody cheap over there Your Rand is on 10c AU nad so our extras work out ant about twice the corrected price of yours.

Here is a link for the brochure for AUS models and to give an idea of price a 20" alloy wheel for an Rline is over 8000 Rand or $800AU

VW Models | Compare & Find All | Volkswagen Australia

If you arent going to be doing mainly highway running dont buy a diesel Buy a petrol one and pay less and dont have a DPF to soot up on short runs
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-12-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Hi guys,

So, I put my order in and should be able to collect on the 17th Dec Forward Facing Camera Basically went for all the extras you can get in SA, besides the inductive charging and the audio system. The standard audio seems good enough to me.

It’s so annoying living in a region that’s restricted in features. The Area View is not available on the Tiguan but you can get it on the Touareg.. same for the Lane Assist and Traffic Jam Assist.

Hopefully in a few years (I can’t believe I’ve just typed YEARS) these features will be available on the Tiguan. Maybe by then I’ll have upgraded to a Touareg Forward Facing CameraForward Facing Camera

But thanks again for the insight and info, really appreciate it. The power of the interwebs is phenomenal..!

Drive safe!!