Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fog lights colour

Users Country Flag

Fog lights colour

Has anyone successfully been able to pair fog light bulbs to mimic the Headlight led colour to make it look uniform when both are on?

At the moment I’m getting a nice white colour from the headlights, but a yucky yellowish colour from the fog lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 99GTT View Post
    Has anyone successfully been able to pair fog light bulbs to mimic the Headlight led colour to make it look uniform when both are on?

At the moment I’m getting a nice white colour from the headlights, but a yucky yellowish colour from the fog lights

FOG lights are supposed to be yellow as it penetrates the fog better than white lights.. You should NOT have them on with the headlights for two reasons A they do nothing and B it is illegal in QLD to have them on if it is not foggy or very bad rainy conditions.

If you do they are normally called WANKER lights for obvious reasons.

As you see from you picture they are useless with the headlights on as they are too low to be effective. As its rarely foggy in Brisbane they would hardly ever get used legally but you do see*****heads running around with them on flaring all over the place blinding oncoming drivers.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 15-02-2022 at 08:21 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, you will find that hillbilly has very definite views on the subject. Seems to have his cranky pants on again today too.

The foglights which are on our A4 must not work at all according to that logic....being white LED standard from the factory, built into the same unit as the active matrix headlamps.

Quite a number of other modern vehicles have white LED fog lights from the factory.

All ADR references I have been able to locate say that fog lights may be white or yellow. State-based publications say the same thing.

There are conventional gas globes available which are closer in colour temperature to the LED headlights - close but not a perfect match. These are road-legal. There are also after-market LED replacement "bulbs" which are a perfect colour-match, however these are not road-legal.
    Last edited by doc_777; 15-02-2022 at 10:21 AM.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    Yeah, you will find that hillbilly has very definite views on the subject. Seems to have his cranky pants on again today too.

The foglights which are on our A4 must not work at all according to that logic....being white LED standard from the factory, built into the same unit as the active matrix headlamps.

Quite a number of other modern vehicles have white LED fog lights from the factory.

All ADR references I have been able to locate say that fog lights may be white or yellow. State-based publications say the same thing.

There are conventional gas globes available which are closer in colour temperature to the LED headlights - close but not a perfect match. These are road-legal. There are also after-market LED replacement "bulbs" which are a perfect colour-match, however these are not road-legal.
    Yes they may be either colour but then are usually described by manufactuers as "Other"lights to get past the no fog lights rules. If you remember away back all Fog lights were a yellow colour .

My point is that they are of no benefit whatever if you have headlights on as they dont project far enough and as they are not focused they flare in oncoming eyes

Yes I get my angry pants on as I spent years driving buses and taxis and got sick to death of the wankers with suns flaring in my eyes at night to the extent I ended up needing eye surgery.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    FOG lights are supposed to be yellow as it penetrates the fog better than white lights.. You should NOT have them on with the headlights for two reasons A they do nothing and B it is illegal in QLD to have them on if it is not foggy or very bad rainy conditions.

If you do they are normally called WANKER lights for obvious reasons.

As you see from you picture they are useless with the headlights on as they are too low to be effective. As its rarely foggy in Brisbane they would hardly ever get used legally but you do see*****heads running around with them on flaring all over the place blinding oncoming drivers.
    Lol, yeah settle down Fog lights colour
    So which is it, too low to be effective, or too high to blind other drivers? Fog lights colour
    At any rate, i will test them out at night time and see if they do indeed cause any slight irritation/annoyance, I don’t often use them, but it would look slightly nicer if they were similar to the other lights in colour (and they did not annoy anyone of course).
    Oh and I don’t mean they are the proper Yellow colour that some cars have for fog lights, I mean they are the regular gross off-white that old school lights were.

Users Country Flag
    Lol, yeah settle down Fog lights colour
    So which is it, too low to be effective, or too high to blind other drivers? Fog lights colour
    At any rate, i will test them out at night time and see if they do indeed cause any slight irritation/annoyance, I don’t often use them, but it would look slightly nicer if they were similar to the other lights in colour (and they did not annoy anyone of course).
    Oh and I don’t mean they are the proper Yellow colour that some cars have for fog lights, I mean they are the regular gross off-white that old school lights were.

Irrespective of height they still flare as they are not a focused light like headlights.
    To wit Falcons with them in lower bumper which are one of the worst Yes they are warm white bulbs in them as the bright white would just reflect back from any fog. 4000K to 5000K are the best colour temp to have in any lights as any higher the output drops off.

Users Country Flag

Hey mate,

Back on-topic - these are a colour match for the factory LED headlights.

Narva LED Headlight Surefit Suits H8 H9 H11 | Supercheap Auto

Note however: Not ADR approved, and listed for off-road use only.
    Last edited by doc_777; 15-02-2022 at 02:39 PM.
    Cheers

Nice one!! Fog lights colour
    Has anyone attempted this change over, would it be relatively straightforward?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    Hey mate,

Back on-topic - these are a colour match for the factory LED headlights.

Narva LED Headlight Surefit Suits H8 H9 H11 | Supercheap Auto

Note however: Not ADR approved, and listed for off-road use only.
    If you are going to use LED bulbs then be careful on your Tiguan. Unless these Narva bulbs are Canbus compatible (which i dont see written on the packaging or in the details on the webpage) then you will almost certainly get an error on your dash saying you have defective bulbs. LED bulbs are always a much lower wattage rating than normal halogen bulbs, so the car may not recognise the lower voltage LED bulb and assume the bulb is faulty.

The ones listed below say they suit the older Tiguan. Perhaps you could give them a call and see if they have something suitable for the current Tiguan.
    COSMIC+ H7 (VW GOLF MK6/7 & TIGUAN MK1)– iilumo

A much safer & cheaper way would be to simply replace the bulbs for a good quality Osram or Phillips replacement with a colour temperature of 4300-5000k which will be a much more white colour than your current fog light bulbs and be a close match to your headlights. Im not sure what bulb design your current fog lights are, you will either have to check your owners manual or remove one and see what code is written on the bulb (eg H11 or H7 etc - there is about a dozen or so different bulb shapes) OSRAM H11 Cool Blue Hyper Plus 5000K White Halogen Bulbs
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If you are going to use LED bulbs then be careful on your Tiguan. Unless these Narva bulbs are Canbus compatible (which i dont see written on the packaging or in the details on the webpage) then you will almost certainly get an error on your dash saying you have defective bulbs. LED bulbs are always a much lower wattage rating than normal halogen bulbs, so the car may not recognise the lower voltage LED bulb and assume the bulb is faulty.

The ones listed below say they suit the older Tiguan. Perhaps you could give them a call and see if they have something suitable for the current Tiguan.
    COSMIC+ H7 (VW GOLF MK6/7 & TIGUAN MK1)– iilumo

A much safer & cheaper way would be to simply replace the bulbs for a good quality Osram or Phillips replacement with a colour temperature of 4300-5000k which will be a much more white colour than your current fog light bulbs and be a close match to your headlights. Im not sure what bulb design your current fog lights are, you will either have to check your owners manual or remove one and see what code is written on the bulb (eg H11 or H7 etc - there is about a dozen or so different bulb shapes) OSRAM H11 Cool Blue Hyper Plus 5000K White Halogen Bulbs
    Cheers Lucas!
    Do you mean they would throw up an error every time I turn the car on, or just initially when installed? If the latter and I can clear it with my OBDEleven then it wouldn’t really stress me out too much!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast