Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got bitten by the notorious DSG

Quote Originally Posted by INASNT View Post
    Even thought the Tig has the same DSG model number as the RS3, it could be the lower spec version.

RS3's are running over 400kw@4 wheels without issues.
    I agree INASNT. My mates RS3 does not have a rattle, at all, in the slow speed downshifts or where mine is apparent. I also test drove a second hand 2017 RS3 a few days back and it too had zero gearbox rattles and that particular car has had a hard life. Both cars downshift very impressively and at the really low idle speeds where I notice mine, there is none in those two cars.

Users Country Flag
    Do the gearboxes in SWB and Allspace models come out of the same factory, or do Allspace DSGs come out of a Mexican factory?
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Do the gearboxes in SWB and Allspace models come out of the same factory, or do Allspace DSGs come out of a Mexican factory?
    Not sure on either the engines or gearboxes. They may all come from the same factory and get shipped to the plants for assembly.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

We were looking at the Tiguan 2 years ago but ended up with an Audi Q2 2.0TFSI instead due to the long waiting times for the 162TSI Highline at the time and not really needing the extra space the Tiguan offered

The Q2 runs the same DQ500 gearbox and died on me just before 20000kms, picking the perfect time in nose to tail traffic in Sydney morning peak on a 3 lane road.

The car kindly told me to drive it to the nearest service centre which wasn’t happening as it was skipping gears and lurching around all over the place. Anyway Audi towed it and ended up replacing the whole gearbox because my gearbox had cracked according to them.

Doesn’t sound like they hold many in stock in the country. I was told I got the last one available at the time and it would have been a 6-8 week wait for one from Germany.

Ironically ended up here because now we’re looking to replace it at end of warranty next year and I’m back looking at the Tiguan again thanks to the 5 year warranty they offer now. So just thought I would throw in that it’s not just the Tiguan.

New gearbox isn’t as smooth as the old one. It clunks between 1st and 2nd quite frequently which isn’t building my confidence in it.

Users Country Flag
    In the spirit of the DSG thread, I’ve owned a Golf R, Tiguan 162 Highline and a little Polo 77tsi. All bought brand new.

Tiguan - I just had the second gearbox installed and car is great. The first time it was with my wife organising and not be harsh but I think they just reset the ecu and did the clutch packs told her they changed it.
    Reason for change: it was loud, clunky and car was over heating (110degrees oil) when driving around the city at slow pace.
    Gearbox: DQ500 7 speed

Polo - my sisters car which I took off her when I sold her my golf R. Gearbox got changed as we were both working in the city Sydney at the time and would park at Delong harbour. As we entered the harbour bridge the gearbox wouldn’t get out of first gear. In peak hour. I had to drive like that to the city. Then turn around and drive to Artarmon. All in first gear. She always complained about it but that’s when it really stuffed up.
    Gearbox: DQ200 - dry 7 speed

Golf R - clutch packs replaced due to heavy gear slipping and random neutral selection while driving around. Imprecise driving and quite clanky. Ended up having the gearbox and a second set of clutch packs done at same time. Car has been faultless for 4 years after that, and my sister has had it for another 3 now.
    Gearbox: DQ250 - wet 6 speed.

So that rubbish about it being only the dry 7 speed DQ200 that has any issues, is just that.

We punted the Polo but so far the other 2 cars are going ok.
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I thought I'd post an update.

It's been 4 weeks now, without my car - which is still at the dealership. The mechatronics unit was replaced however this did not solve the problem - a full gearbox change is now being undertaken.

To say the least, my frustration is mounting.
    2019 Tiguan 132TSI R-Line Edition MY19.5 - Tungsten Silver - 2.0 litre TSI 132kW + Panoramic glass sunroof

Sorry to hijack this thread again guys but it’s something you Tig owners might need to keep in mind considering they run a version of the DQ500 or even the same, however this DQ500 in the RS3 felt and sounded vastly different, no mechanical clunks and gear changes that were on point.

My RS3 has just gone in for an interim service, something I do with all of my cars every 7500klms. Although the RS3 wasn’t due, I got it done for peace of mind. Anyone who has followed my comments on the DQ500 in my Tig will know I went through two gearboxes (leaking bevel box) and both replaced under warranty.

I can report that I’ve now had THREE gearbox failures. All three were during unmodded phases and the RS3 I just purchased with 15k on the clock has a leak at the bevel box. It has never been modded (checked with both Audi with its VIN and OBD-11 and the two most well known ECU upgrade companies) and both reported definitely no bolt on footprints and zero ECU footprints, as did Audi.

That’s three failures, either I am the most unlucky person in the world to ever own a DQ500 or there are serious issues with the gearbox. Fortunately my car still has a years worth of warranty but for you guys owning Tigs with DQ500 trannys I suggest you get it checked out by a third party VW approved mechanic. The reason I suggest this is because VW initially told me there was no issue with the box and it was normal, once I showed them the report from my VW approved mechanic they changed their tune and said yes there is a problem and replaced the gearbox.

I will add that the DQ500 in my RS3 made zero noises unlike my Tig gearbox did, it was quiet as a mouse and changed gears like a demon. I had absolutely no idea there was any issue at all with the gearbox both mechanically or through the clunky downshift sounds I’d previously heard.

Just a heads up guys, I’d hate to see a car out of warranty get stung with a replacement at full charge. Get it checked out for peace of mind. My cars going in next week. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburger View Post
    Sorry to hijack this thread again guys but it’s something you Tig owners might need to keep in mind considering they run a version of the DQ500 or even the same, however this DQ500 in the RS3 felt and sounded vastly different, no mechanical clunks and gear changes that were on point.

My RS3 has just gone in for an interim service, something I do with all of my cars every 7500klms. Although the RS3 wasn’t due, I got it done for peace of mind. Anyone who has followed my comments on the DQ500 in my Tig will know I went through two gearboxes (leaking bevel box) and both replaced under warranty.

I can report that I’ve now had THREE gearbox failures. All three were during unmodded phases and the RS3 I just purchased with 15k on the clock has a leak at the bevel box. It has never been modded (checked with both Audi with its VIN and OBD-11 and the two most well known ECU upgrade companies) and both reported definitely no bolt on footprints and zero ECU footprints, as did Audi.

That’s three failures, either I am the most unlucky person in the world to ever own a DQ500 or there are serious issues with the gearbox. Fortunately my car still has a years worth of warranty but for you guys owning Tigs with DQ500 trannys I suggest you get it checked out by a third party VW approved mechanic. The reason I suggest this is because VW initially told me there was no issue with the box and it was normal, once I showed them the report from my VW approved mechanic they changed their tune and said yes there is a problem and replaced the gearbox.

I will add that the DQ500 in my RS3 made zero noises unlike my Tig gearbox did, it was quiet as a mouse and changed gears like a demon. I had absolutely no idea there was any issue at all with the gearbox both mechanically or through the clunky downshift sounds I’d previously heard.

Just a heads up guys, I’d hate to see a car out of warranty get stung with a replacement at full charge. Get it checked out for peace of mind. My cars going in next week. Best of luck.

When you refer to gearbox, you mean the bevel box? So you’re had three replaced.

I’m still investigating the vibration issue in the drivetrain of my Tig. Yesterday they found a leaking bevel box, I think the rear one? Hopefully this is the cause of that vibration. Took another 162 out for a drive, nothing, no vibration, and neither did the 132. The 132 drove just as nice..... :-0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Another update

So I finally got my Tiguan back after 7 weeks. Complete gearbox change. All seems to be okay, but I'm sure I can hear this new gearbox shifting. It's smooth and behaving like I'm used to DSG gearboxes behaving, but I'm convinced this one is more audible when doing so.

Anyway, I'll monitor and see how it goes. It's nice to have my Tiguan back.
    2019 Tiguan 132TSI R-Line Edition MY19.5 - Tungsten Silver - 2.0 litre TSI 132kW + Panoramic glass sunroof

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsburger View Post

You are not unlucky. We all are. As I have mentioned before in an earlier post, we had the Polo (x1), Golf R (x1) and Tiguan (replaced twice!!). All brand new cars. All needed changing. The Tiguan I bought after the golf and did so with some confidence given it was supposedly tough DQ500. It got changed twice. To be fair though my current one is lovely and the Golf R I sold to my sister and both are now driving we’ll touch wood. Smooth and quiet.

What a **** around though to get to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2010 MY11 GOLF R - 5DR | DSG | RISING BLUE | DYNAUDIO + ACC + BLUETOOTH + 19s + RNS510 |

2017 MY17 TIGUAN HIGHLINE - 5DR | DSG | PEARL BLACK | SUNROOF + DAP |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast