Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory vs dealer fitted towbar

Factory vs dealer fitted towbar

I got hold of a fairly cheap Tiguan mk2 towbar from a wrecker recently, and though it would be an easy fit. I've read that there's no difference between towbars for the Allspace vs non-Allspace, and this towbar is from a non-Allspace. It appears to be a factory fitted on though, and seems to replace the rear bumper reinforcement because the crossbar sits much higher than on dealer fitted and aftermarket towbars. Because of this it needs to have an opening where the rear bumper reinforcement usually is attached, so I'm wondering if someone has some ideas about if this one can be made to fit at all?
    Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200923_023244398-jpg
    Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200923_063338464-jpg
    Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200923_063352781-jpg
    Last edited by JustCruisn; 23-09-2020 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Fix the images location
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Btw, does anyone have any instructions for removing the rear bumper on a Tiguan MQB Allspace with pictures? The only thing I've found is a short written howto with no images.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    Look here exterior body section

Tiguan Owners manual – Google Drive
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 23-09-2020 at 09:07 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    With the towbar fitted, you throw the reinforcement bar away.

It would be a dealer-fit bar.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Ok, I guess the difference might just be that the one I've got is meant to sit inside the frame rails that the impact bar is attached to, instead of outside as most of the aftermarket towbars I've seen? I've haven't been able to confirm this as I've had trouble getting the bumper off; I'm a bit concerned about using too much force.

That google docs page was handy, thx for the link.
    Last edited by iampivot; 24-09-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    Ok, I guess the difference might just be that the one I've got is meant to sit inside the frame rails that the impact bar is attached to, instead of outside as most of the aftermarket towbars I've seen? I've haven't been able to confirm this as I've had trouble getting the bumper off; I'm a bit concerned about using too much force.

That google docs page was handy, thx for the link.
    Remove tail lights.
    Remove the inner guard cover around the plastic grey trim. There are couple of screws there. and couple underneath.
    Unclip the plastic wheel trim to just above the section where the Bumper and bodywork join.
    Undo 4 plastic screw/clips underneath the bumper bar that join the bar to the bodywork.
    The rest is you being careful with the plastic wedge undoing the barb type clips along the bodywork.
    The section long the rear hatch opening is just pushed in.

I have trial fitted the towbar from 5 seater to my Allspace and it fits. But decided not to go ahead with fitting as we have another tow vehicle.

Now I have a spare VW towbar kit sitting at home with wiring ...

Users Country Flag
    I removed a factory fitted towbar from my Mk6 Golf GTI and re-fitted it to a Mk6 TSI Golf. The towbar replaces the crash beam (as mentioned by someone else above) and the legs of the towbar went inside the chassis rails and had 2x large bolts on either side to secure it.

Refer some pics here that might help you - this was the re-install of the Mk6 TSI Golf: MK 6 Golf GTI Towbar

Obviously the Mk6 Golf is a different car to the Tiguan, but no doubt the basics are similar and thought the pics might be of some help to you.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 24-09-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tek199 View Post
    Remove tail lights.
    Remove the inner guard cover around the plastic grey trim. There are couple of screws there. and couple underneath.
    Unclip the plastic wheel trim to just above the section where the Bumper and bodywork join.
    Undo 4 plastic screw/clips underneath the bumper bar that join the bar to the bodywork.
    The rest is you being careful with the plastic wedge undoing the barb type clips along the bodywork.
    The section long the rear hatch opening is just pushed in.

I have trial fitted the towbar from 5 seater to my Allspace and it fits. But decided not to go ahead with fitting as we have another tow vehicle.

Now I have a spare VW towbar kit sitting at home with wiring ...
    Which towbar is it I wouldnt mind a Wesfalia one like this

VW Tiguan Tow Bar Westfalia Detachable Invisible Genuine - Australia Tow Bars & Performance store
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Got the bumper off in the end, I think it was the four plastic screws that fooled me into thinking there must be screws elsewhere since it felt much more rigid before they came out. The amount of dirt that accumulates inside the bumper is quite bad btw. The allspace already comes with the bracing bar that goes above the tyre when a towbar is fitted.

Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_013822014-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_013804229-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_013827397-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_014209298-jpg
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Just a few more questions; it came with bolts, but the washers were a bit lacking. Just wondering if i need to put both a large washer and a compression washer on each side of the rear bolts, and I assume the front bolts (which didn't come with any washers), should really have a large washer and a compression washer. Also, I've seen somewhere that the bolts needs to be tightened to 53nm or so.

And I'm having a hard time getting off the left inside of the boot to access the cabling. Is there a tip on how to remove the plastic bottom pocket? I've remove one screw and one bolt but it still seems stuck.

Lastly, I assume the cables goes through a hole on the left rear bottom side? I can't really confirm it until I get to that point inside.

Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_022944615-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_022941895-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_022932695-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_022915402-jpg Factory vs dealer fitted towbar-pxl_20200924_022906951-jpg
    Last edited by iampivot; 24-09-2020 at 12:46 PM.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast