Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to power rear dashcam

Easy way to power rear dashcam

I'm installing a rear dashcam and am looking for the easiest way to find power that is switched with the ignition. I thought about using the rear lighter socket, and it has a cable behind it that plugs into it. I cannot find that particular type of connector anywhere though, to make a 3 way bypass in order to avoid cutting cables. Is there anther way to source power in the rear of the Tiguan that is switched?
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Easiest way, using the power wires of that 12v socket, would be to splice into it with those plastic ‘snap over’ connectors. I can’t recall the proper name- sorry. I used to sell and use them, too!
    They’re cheap and easy, but not always reliable in the long term. Especially if you get the wrong size for the cables being used (blue, red, yellow dictate cable thickness- rather than for any other reason)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    Easiest way, using the power wires of that 12v socket, would be to splice into it with those plastic ‘snap over’ connectors. I can’t recall the proper name- sorry. I used to sell and use them, too!
    They’re cheap and easy, but not always reliable in the long term. Especially if you get the wrong size for the cables being used (blue, red, yellow dictate cable thickness- rather than for any other reason)
    They are called Scotchlocks and are the WORST possible way to join cables. Have seen them actually cut the wires inside the sheathing. Devils spawn should be their name

To imapivot if you are installing a 2 ch dash cam the cable from the front camera also powers the rear one. I have two independent cameras and I ran a wire along the floor trims to the rear to a spare ciggy socket from a fuse and used that. You also need an earth and I used a point in the rear quarter behind the tail lights where there was a piece of metal available. Just drilled a small hole and attached earth wire. Doing it that way you use the cameras original cable and as some are 5 v it is sensible to do so or you could cook the camera.

I would never "cut into" a circuit in a VW

Do it the proper and safe way Tigs dont look nice smoking on the side of the road
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-10-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Cheers for the proper name Hillbilly.
    They can be perfectly fine to use- if you size them for the wire. It’s hard to know what size you need though before stripping back. That’s the issue.

When I was ‘on the tools’ (Holden factory, then at dealership, then installer and manager at Strathfield) and then again managing an electronics store (Jaycar for 8 years) I was shocked at the percentage of people claiming to be engineers/qualified/etc who didn’t know what to use, how to use, how to pick the correct version (ie- scotch locks) for a given job. Jobs that often had a lot of money and safety implications, if done wrong.

OP did specify easiest, so I answered accordingly.
    Last edited by Simonr23; 05-10-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonr23 View Post
    Cheers for the proper name Hillbilly.
    They can be perfectly fine to use- if you size them for the wire. It’s hard to know what size you need though before stripping back. That’s the issue.

When I was ‘on the tools’ (Holden factory, then at dealership, then installer and manager at Strathfield) and then again managing an electronics store (Jaycar for 8 years) I was shocked at the percentage of people claiming to be engineers/qualified/etc who didn’t know what to use, how to use, how to pick the correct version (ie- scotch locks) for a given job. Jobs that often had a lot of money and safety implications, if done wrong.

OP did specify easiest, so I answered accordingly.
    Fair enough but have seen too many of them come undone over the 60 years I have been playing with cars Would sooner use chocolate blocks or ideally solder them.

Have actually seen You tube videos of a retail installer advocating stuffing wires down the side of fuses.

Then they wonder why some people do it themselves

I would never let any installer use them on my cars.

Still I wouldnt cut into or piggy back on circuits on any computerized cars
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-10-2020 at 12:24 PM.

I can only comment on what I saw.
    I made no comments about other people’s experiences. I also never specified what they were engineers of- nor mentioned auto-elecs in my ‘groupings’
    Sorry if forgetting a name for an item I don’t have any dealings with anymore was a hassle to you.

To help alleviate any bad feelings, I also learned a lot from auto-elecs and other electronics trade people in my time.

It's a standalone camera, so wanted to just get it plugged in at the back, as I was doing wiring for the towbar at the same time. I assume the plug that goes into the cigarette socket is non-standard? Would think that it would be best to have a splitter here with the same type of male/female plug with some leads coming off it.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag
    Well the way I did my standalone camera didnt interfere with anything and as I said Im reluctant to add onto circuits in the vehicle as sometimes it can upset the computer and out of normal readings on circuits can have adverse reactions. What camera are you installing

It's just a cheap navman at the moment. It's small, so doesn't block the view too much. Here's a photo of the plug; Easy way to power rear dashcam-pxl_20201005_224802517-jpg Easy way to power rear dashcam-pxl_20201005_224808980-jpg
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by iampivot View Post
    It's just a cheap navman at the moment. It's small, so doesn't block the view too much. Here's a photo of the plug; Easy way to power rear dashcam-pxl_20201005_224802517-jpg Easy way to power rear dashcam-pxl_20201005_224808980-jpg
    Well thats one of the cameras that my mate chucked in the bin as they are pretty hopeless. A pair of spades will go in those connectors I reckon Meter out which is which

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast