Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG Transmission

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

DSG Transmission

The DSG transmission is basically a twin shaft manual gearbox with two independent clutches and should be driven similar to a conventional manual transmission.
    Is it advisable or required to shift to neutral in heavy stop go traffic with long waits as you would in a manual car to minimise clutch wear or is the transmission smart enough to disengage clutch when stationary.
    Any thoughts on the subject or tips for driving a DSG transmission would be appreciated as this is my first experience with this type of gearbox.
    Is the seven speed a wet or dry clutch.
    MY18 Tiguan R Line Black-162 Highline TSI
    Drivers Assistance Package - Sunroof - Tow Bar
    Ordered July 17 Arrived December 17 Delivery Jan 18

Users Country Flag
    I wouldn't worry about popping it into neutral.
    My tip, drive it hard occasionally using the paddles or sports mode.
    The Tiguan has a DQ500 DSG, and it's a wet clutch.
    The best thing you can do for the DSG is keep it serviced regularly. Look after it and it will look after you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza 162 View Post
    The DSG transmission is basically a twin shaft manual gearbox with two independent clutches and should be driven similar to a conventional manual transmission.
    Is it advisable or required to shift to neutral in heavy stop go traffic with long waits as you would in a manual car to minimise clutch wear or is the transmission smart enough to disengage clutch when stationary.
    Any thoughts on the subject or tips for driving a DSG transmission would be appreciated as this is my first experience with this type of gearbox.
    Is the seven speed a wet or dry clutch.
    First of all, welcome and congrats on the new car! You will love it!

No need to place into neutral as it will do so itself when applying the brake and at a low enough speed.

Be careful on hills until you get comfortable with the gearbox or use hill assist/auto hold (this will apply the brakes to stop you from moving forward or backward without acceleration)

Assuming that you have the 162 Tiguan which has the DQ500 wet clutch DSG and is regarded as one of the strongest and most reliable so don't stress too much.

You will find D a bit doughy and unresponsive however this is the driving style that suits reduced fuel consumption and will always try to keep the gears in the lowest rev range. S mode will fix that up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Unless you have the diesel, in which case it revs too high in D and holds a fixed rev (approx 2500-2900) for a moment, before changing gear. Feels strange and wasteful (momentum and fuel/comfort)

I think 132/140/162 all have the same box.

Dq250? For the 110 engine?

Users Country Flag
    Just drive it normally like any other auto.
    The ride can be jerky in stop/start traffic or when starting off from standstill, but once on the move the shifts are super swift
    2018 Allspace 162TSI R Line

If you lightly press the brakes you will notice the rpm increases and generally if you let go of the brakes the car moves.

However if you press the brakes a bit firmer, the idle RPM drops to about 650rpm and when you let go of the brakes you'll notice a slight delay.

From my observations, it appears the clutch is fully disengaged off the flywheel where as when you've only gently pressed the brakes, it appears the box is riding the clutch.

(Pure speculation, based on my personal experiences, also better send it.. launch control it after the 1st tank of fuel)

Users Country Flag
    I've read elsewhere (can't remember where) that it's advised NOT to shift to Neutral in DSG cars, as the oil-pump in the gearbox will stop pumping in Neutral - thereby possibly causing damage internally. Was told that shifting to Park is better than shifting to Neutral, when stopped at lights for longer-than-normal periods of time.

Anyone confirm if this is true, or BS ?

I have - as most people with DSG have done - tested the alleged "clutches disconnect when pressed brakes hard enough" and there are occasions when I have the brake mashed to the floor, and there's still a discernible change in engine tone/shudder as the clutches disengage fully/RPMs raise, when shifting from D into N, so it's clear that the clutches do NOT always disengage fully, when you press the brake pedal hard.

So for the moment, I'm going to continue to shift into Neutral when stopped for considerable amounts of time, unless someone can categorically tell me I'm damaging my gearbox by doing so. (I still have another 3 years of warranty, and will likely trade/upgrade the car before then, so I'm not too concerned at this point, but obviously don't want to deliberately cause damage to the car and inconvenience to myself)
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Out of interest, what benefit do people think they are achieving by engaging neutral when stationary? The clutch throw out bearing isn’t going to wear out that fast.
    Cheers

I think it’s a manual thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

The next generation multile clutch transmission in the new Koenigsegg..

Koenigsegg Jesko Gearbox Explanation
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast