Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DSG Transmission

Users Country Flag

My experience is that there is almost certainly a different reason that you are claiming for the change in revs when neutral is selected. You seem to have made your mind up - all good. As I said - your story, tell it all you like. I KNOW what a grabbing clutch smells, sounds and feels like. Nothing in your description adds up to that in my experience.
    Last edited by tigger73; 10-03-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Cheers

This is the problem as I see it. We're all looking at a black box and trying to explain what we're seeing without fully knowing the internal working of the black box.

Everyone has their own theory but unless you're the maker of the box and know how it works then it's all just theories and hypothesis.

No discussion in this thread is ever going to resolve this so we're best off agreeing to this and moving on.

As to whether it is required to move the transmission into Neutral I'd be referring to the owners manual and there is no mention of moving the selector to neutral in the manual. If you are going to be stationary for an extended time I'd personally put the car in P with the handbrake on as then the car is being held rather in N it still requires application of the foot brakes.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Based on discussions with a friend of mine who works at VW, moving the selector to neutral when stationary has the same effect as a firm foot on the brake pedal ie; the DSG clutches are fully disengaged. In Drive with no foot on the brake pedal or on the accelerator pedal then the ECU assumes that you want to crawl forward at a very slow rate, obviously after the hill start brake hold disengages. The gear indicator will show D1 or D2.

I don't get the "mystical magic" stuff that floats around about DSG's. They are just a manual gearbox with electro hydraulic clutch actuation, that's it.

This differs to an automatic gearbox with a torque converter (TC) which always transmits some power. TC's are a fluid coupling between the engine and the transmission and as such heat up the fluid whenever there is a differential between the engine rpm and the gearbox rpm. Which is why they need a transmission cooler. Moving an automatic gearbox to neutral disengages the gears (bands) which is why the loading changes, but the TC is still engaged.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Sigh...... and if my posts were actually read in their entirety, I've made it clear several times that I'm not talking just about the change in engine revs, when shifting D to N while stopped. I pretty clearly described other effects that I (and others) have noticed - but whatever.

What my original post was asking, is can anyone in the know actually confirm or deny if the story about the DSG oil-pump (if there even is such a thing) actually stops pumping, while in Neutral - and therefore it's recommended NOT to sit in Neutral for prolonged periods of time... or is this just a myth?
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    My MK6 R which I had for 7 years and did 120,000km never had a transmission issue.. I never put the car in neutral when stopped, drove to the city in peak hour traffic 3-4 days a week in those 7 years..
    Tiguan Gen2 162TSI Etuners IS38 Stage 3 238.6 kw@4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Sigh...... and if my posts were actually read in their entirety, I've made it clear several times that I'm not talking just about the change in engine revs, when shifting D to N while stopped. I pretty clearly described other effects that I (and others) have noticed - but whatever.

What my original post was asking, is can anyone in the know actually confirm or deny if the story about the DSG oil-pump (if there even is such a thing) actually stops pumping, while in Neutral - and therefore it's recommended NOT to sit in Neutral for prolonged periods of time... or is this just a myth?
    If you read the manual it says not to tow the car in neutral because when the engine is not running there is also no lubrication of the gearbox and this can lead to a failure.

It doesn't mention anything about lack of lubrication when the car is running but suggests not putting the car into neutral when going downhill as then you'll be relying solely on the brakes to slow you down and not using the engine to keep the speed in check.

So only issue is when moving the car when the engine is off. You want to put your car onto a flatbed truck rather than your traditional tow truck that just lifts 1 set of wheels off the ground.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Would this be an issue if the rears were lifted and front wheels were rolling on the ground? Can we assume if front is lifted,the rear Hadlex clutch pack is depressurised and disengaged, it’s apples?

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries
    I'm almost sorry I asked the question, didn't think it would cause so much controversy but thanks to all that have given lots of varied and informative views. I suppose that's what these forums are good for.
    Last edited by Wazza 162; 12-03-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    MY18 Tiguan R Line Black-162 Highline TSI
    Drivers Assistance Package - Sunroof - Tow Bar
    Ordered July 17 Arrived December 17 Delivery Jan 18

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iDiesel View Post
    Just drive it normally like any other auto.
    The ride can be jerky in stop/start traffic or when starting off from standstill, but once on the move the shifts are super swift
    I put it into sports mode in snails pace traffic. Holds gears longer and no jerk

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post

Ask the question the other way, why would there be a neutral if VW knew it would damage the box? In reality the car selects neutral when it comes to a halt when the first motion shaft between the motor and box stops spinning, all manual cars do this as it is the drive splines on the clutch plate that causes the gearbox to engage with the motor. When this happens and the first motion shaft stops nothing in the gearbox rotates or pumps anything unless the oil pump is electric.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast