Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DSG Transmission

Users Country Flag
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doc_777 View Post
    Out of interest, what benefit do people think they are achieving by engaging neutral when stationary? The clutch throw out bearing isn’t going to wear out that fast.
    Its not so much the thrust bearing as much as the the clutch plates slipping, similar to a manual transmission sitting for a long period with foot on the clutch.
    MY18 Tiguan R Line Black-162 Highline TSI
    Drivers Assistance Package - Sunroof - Tow Bar
    Ordered July 17 Arrived December 17 Delivery Jan 18

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza 162 View Post
    Its not so much the thrust bearing as much as the the clutch plates slipping, similar to a manual transmission sitting for a long period with foot on the clutch.
    Well, I reckon it’s not an issue because in no way should there be any grab between the plates when the clutch is disengaged, but to each their own.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Well, I reckon it’s not an issue because in no way should there be any grab between the plates when the clutch is disengaged, but to each their own.
    Read my reply above !!!

There is commonly-documented evidence throughout the internet, which indicates the plates do NOT disengage fully..... this is why some of us go into Neutral.
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Read my reply above !!!

There is commonly-documented evidence throughout the internet, which indicates the plates do NOT disengage fully..... this is why some of us go into Neutral.
    you read it on the internet so it must be true.

its obvious that you don’t understand the conditional logic around idle speed variation for one thing.

anyway, it’s your car.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    You clearly didn't read my original reply on here. And I knew someone would try to negate the opinions of many other people who describe the exact same behaviour and concerns, as being "the internet is never wrong"

SO many people with identical issues/concerns documented is not a case of me blinding accepting everything I read on the internet.

It's obvious that you believe conditional logic can't be faulted at all. That's why computers NEVER fail and cause catastrophic accidents?

Kindly explain to us, how "conditional logic around idle speed variation" works, and how it makes us incorrectly assume the clutches are still semi-engaged when in-fact, they are not?

But make sure it's believable..... coz, the internet and all....
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Abient temp
    coolant temp
    Throttle position
    gear selector position
    transmission mode
    transmission temperature
    vehicle speed
    brake pressure
    aircon compressor clutch status

those are just some of the conditions which the ecu uses to determine the idle speed

example - aircon clutch status changes - the idle speed changes because the ecu caters to the change of load. Likewise selecting neutral (you don’t actually select neutral, you change the position of a switch, and the transmission controller does its thing) - the trans controller tells the ecu about the change of transmission status and the ecu then determines the required idle speed based on every other condition that has input to determining idle speed.

computers don’t fail and cause catastrophic accidents as you claim. It’s either a software fault (which was coded by a human), or a hardware fault (with inadequate failover redundancy).
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Let’s not forget one more salient point - an idle speed of ~800 is preferable to ~1000 from a clutch wear perspective on takeoff. An Idle speed of ~1000 is preferable to an idle speed of ~800 from an engine efficiency perspective. So it’s no surprise to me that the idle speed increases when the tcu tells the ecu that a neutral gear position has been requested.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Spinifex View Post
    Read my reply above !!!

If this was the case any DSG car caught in a heavy traffic jam for any length of time would have the clutch on fire if it had any slipping as you describe at all. It can't do any harm to shift into neutral but I think what someone had done is noted that if a DSG car is not on auto hold and the foot brake is released it creeps and has extrapolated that because the engine speed did not rise the clutches must be partially engaged at all times. Slipping clutches as you describe simply are not tolerable.

This is part of the reason the 7speed DQ200 dry clutches stuff up as they basically cook themselves in slow moving city traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

........those are just some of the conditions which the ecu uses to determine the idle speed......
    While they are all very good examples, they don't count for the experiences (backed up by documented evidence elsewhere) that I described in my original post. Aircon kicking in is NOT the reason why many people notice the change in engine-revs and "assume" the gearbox clutches are disengaging. Anyone who posts about this issue obviously has at-least a tiny idea of how car mechanisms work, and we wouldn't be so blindsided by an AC clutch engaging/disengaging at an identical moment we manually shift from D to N, to assume it's the gearbox and not the AC.

... computers don’t fail and cause catastrophic accidents as you claim. It’s either a software fault (which was coded by a human), or a hardware fault (with inadequate failover redundancy).
    Exactly my point... regardless of it being either software or hardware-related, computer/electronic systems DO still fail, which can cause catastrophic accidents.
    Your comment does nothing to invalidate my statement, and merely reinforces it, so thankyou for that one

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    ......but I think what someone had done is noted that if a DSG car is not on auto hold and the foot brake is released it creeps and has extrapolated that because the engine speed did not rise the clutches must be partially engaged at all times.....
    While that may be true of some of the reports that have been documented, it's not the convincing argument in all of them (or my particular case)

When stopped on a flat surface with no incline, foot mashed on the brake, shifting from D to N, there can occasionally be the following results:
    A: revs change
    B: audible change in engine tone
    C: this is the kicker.... the car MOVES ever so slightly... you can physically feel the car releasing the "tension" or pre-loading, for want of a better term. It is an IDENTICAL feeling to shifting D to N in a traditional slush-box automatic.
    It is akin (in reverse) to when a motorbike is sitting in Neutral, and clicks down into 1st gear.... even when holding the clutch in tightly, the gearbox kicks in with SOME engagement of the clutches... you can physically see, hear and feel the chain moving/tightening on the wheel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast